Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kristus

Heretic SP - Curse of D'sparil [RELEASED! 2010 01 12]

Actually. Curse.wad was designed primarily for Wand-start. I never actually tried playing the maps in succession. Not through the entire episode anyway. I did however try to make the ammo balance out so Wand-start would be comparable to playing the maps in succession. But I can't say it was a priority.

I never thought of this before, but realized, that heretic and hexen has not any "bullet"-attack enemies. Heavy weapon dudes and spider masterminds from doom2 were extremely dangerous with "-fast", because you cannot dodge their shots.

Are there any wads or mods of heretic and hexen with elvenwand, sapphire wand and dragon claw enemies?

For example dragon = equivalent of heavy weapon dude from doom 2, he attacks by dragon claw, and when die - you can take dragon claw from him as chaingun in doom 2.

kristus - you know all about Heretic (and Doom\Hexen)

Can you tell me next thing:

There are next units:

mancubus/doom2
disciple of Dsparil/heretic
Dsparil/heretic
bishop/hexen

Can you tell me - what phrases they say in "attack", "seeing player at first", "act", "rise" and other sounds?

DaniJ said:

2.0 release.

Will you plan performance improvements to 2.0 release (in comparison to 1.8.6)?

I played 1.8.6 on athlon 1133, 256 ram, geforce 2 gts 32 MB - and no performance issues received (except if turn on particles in jHexen).

So I think Doomsday has not very high system requirements.

BUT - I received one issue in Curse of D'sparil (see below).

I should say, that my current PC is not a slow one:

AMD Phenom 2 940 3000 MHz
4 GB RAM
Geforce GTX 285 1 GB RAM (Forceware 196.21, vsync on, all settings set to high quality)
4x1TB HDD + 1x1.5TB HDD (they are not a slow like 40GB ones of 2001)

Windows XP, Dirextx 9.0c

Most of Curse of D'sparil levels work fine (in performance meaning), but in E3M6 (in start position) I received very slow performance (approximately 5 fps).

How to fix this without quality distorion?

My config is default, but objects, particles, 3d models, lights and halos = on
And I use "-maxzone 512m" command line parameter

theleo, could you try being a bit less inane? And stop spamming topics with two, three or four posts in a row (if you want to add something, you can edit your posts, you know; there's no reason to make new posts if nobody else posted in the mean time).

If you want to know this kind of (rather pointless) minutia, look for the information on the wiki instead of bugging people for that. Seriously, a Hexen project thread is not the place to ask for "what does the mancubus say?"... It's just annoying.

Gez said:

theleo, could you try being a bit less inane? And stop spamming topics with two, three or four posts in a row (if you want to add something, you can edit your posts, you know; there's no reason to make new posts if nobody else posted in the mean time).

I could try special for you:)

Gez said:

"what does the mancubus say?"... It's just annoying.

So mancubus say "It's just annoying"?

Just kidding:)

Ok - sorry for this - I will not ask stupid questuions in this topic anymore:)

theleo_ua said:

Will you plan performance improvements to 2.0 release (in comparison to 1.8.6)?

Short answer - yes.

Most of Curse of D'sparil levels work fine (in performance meaning), but in E3M6 (in start position) I received very slow performance (approximately 5 fps).

How to fix this without quality distorion?

Without knowing your precise addon configuration it is impossible for me to say what the cause could be.

First thing to try is disabling all addons; if your performance problem persists you can rule addons out of the equation. Otherwise you can then single out the culprit by process of elimination.

If the loaded addons have no impact you should then try systematically disabling engine features (such as particles, lights and fakeradio).

I have no benchmarks for this map and addon configuration, so I can't determine much from your system specs alone.

Excellently designed episode, I haven't beat it yet though. Its good to see some Heretic megawads 'round here. At times, it felt more like a slaughter wad than anything else. Still great nonetheless.

In the original Heretic there is a 75% chance of Firemace appearing in one levels, and 100% in another levels. Some levels have several spots for Firemace, so it spawn ramdomly.

1) You used 75%, 100% or both versions of Firemace spawns on curse.wad?
2) Do you used several Firemace spots in different rooms in some maps?

theleo_ua said:

In the original Heretic there is a 75% chance of Firemace appearing in one levels, and 100% in another levels. Some levels have several spots for Firemace, so it spawn ramdomly./B]

This is not correct. In singleplayer the chance is always 75%.

damn, havnt seen a heretic add-on in years, havnt played this yet, downloading it now, tell you how i feel bout it.

Mmmmm a heretic addon... I'm very busy by these days with my CCW but ammmm I think I'll try it... judging by other people's comments it must be very good... wish I had the creativity to build maps for heretic... anyway, I'll give it a go when I get some free time... cya... and nice work!!

I'm playing through this at the moment and enjoying it immensely. The small details are beautiful. I like how the brick textures are so carefully lined up on the ground to give the impression of a paved road eroded into the soil. Also, there was some rather clever usage of the vine textures on the fourth map. The illusion of double sectors in map five were well employed. I'm playing on medium difficulty (skill 3) and I always forget how quickly you can die in Heretic.

I think I may have missed the exit to the secret level. I'll have to replay this episode again once I finish it.

Thank you for this exceptional level set!

^ I agree, thinking about replaying this level set soon... but only once I've got my new monitor! :P

Also can't wait for Kristus's Hexen wad to come out!

Just played this mod. It was absolutely amazing.

I has possibly the most beautiful graphics (especially in E3M7) I've ever seen in a game using the Doom engine. Those high vaulted roofs in an ancient Roman/Greek Colosseum style architecture in M7 are breathtaking.

And the D'Sparils.... so much harder than before. Is it just me, or have you sped up the monster's movement and attack rates in this wad? And are the HP/lives of the D'Sparil's linked? I only physically killed one of them, and then at that instant they all died. As clever as it is, I would have preferred the chance to literally have to smite D'Sparil x3 rather than all the damage accumulate over all 3's health at the same time.

maulosiarch said:

And the D'Sparils.... so much harder than before. Is it just me, or have you sped up the monster's movement and attack rates in this wad?

It's just you.

maulosiarch said:

And are the HP/lives of the D'Sparil's linked?

No. However, when D'Sparil dies, all monsters on the map die, too. So this also kills the other D'Sparils.

Nice to hear, that 1.9.7 released, so Curse is now playable in Doomsday (I tested on map8 and it works).

Hovewer I found next issue:

Here is blue key on map 1 in GZDoom:

http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/5447/cursegzdoom.jpg

Here is blue key on map 1 in Doomsday 1.9.7:

http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/2033/cursejheretic197.jpg

Is it a workaround to fix it? I mean adding some textures to wad or to the texture packs

As has now been corroborated by Vermil: http://www.doomworld.com/vb/post/1056914

It's probably gonna be fixed in coming versions. Fortunately, the WAD doesn't have many of these walls. So the issue is minor. You will still not be able to cross the line. But of course it can give way for some confusion for new players.

I think there are only four cases of these fences though. One in this example shown above which is in the first map, Map02 in by the masoleum where you use the green and blue keys, Map03 in the cellars, Map04 in the starting area. And I think that is it. But I can't be sure. Can't say I am certainly recalling all cases of these.

Indeed my current plans for 1.9.8 are largely about addressing the support for doom.exe renderer tricks such as this.

There doesn't appear to be anything particularly unusual about this construct so it should display correctly once support is added back in.