Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Csonicgo

Plea for Automated SVN Builds

After several days of no new SVN binary that gives a 14-18 fps speed increase on monster-heavy WADs(not to mention fixes a sound bug), I am formally requesting a volunteer assist in automated SVN builds for Eternity Engine.

Exp[x] has expressed that he would assist, but the build scripts for Eternity are not kosher with mingw32. We need a volunteer to fix the scripts to compile. If you can compile EE with mingw32 gcc then please share your scripts. EE has lost its linux/scripting guy quite a while ago and it's stagnating since.

Thank you.

I haven't followed EE very closely because lately the commits have been in experimental branches (and therefore irrelevant for builds of the main trunk) or were broken. The optimization you speak of dates from yesterday. That's not several days.

Build 1033 is online now, so let's take a look at the several days of missed updates:

1022 -- was online.
1023 -- "A few misc changes, including work on a new menu for the equalizer (do NOT use it yet, it is not finished!)" skipped for this reason.
1024 -- Okay, my bad. Dismissed hastily because seeing a bugfix by SoM I assumed it was to the experimental branch.
1025 -- experimental
1026 -- experimental
1027 -- experimental
1028 -- irrelevant (fix something for Mac builds, which aren't what's offered, and it was the broken update anyway)
1029 -- continuation of 1028
1030 -- experimental
1031 -- experimental
1032 -- undo of 1028/1029 (so, return to 1024)
1033 -- online.

Cry me a river of tears.

Oh yeah, and what's in 1033? "drawsegs_xrange optimization from prboom-plus with some fixes and further optimizations. Saves up to 6 FPS on SoD MAP28." Where are the 18 FPS in monster-heavy maps? I didn't know monsters were drawn by drawsegs. Or that 6 was equal as 18.

Gez said:

Oh yeah, and what's in 1033? "drawsegs_xrange optimization from prboom-plus with some fixes and further optimizations. Saves up to 6 FPS on SoD MAP28." Where are the 18 FPS in monster-heavy maps? I didn't know monsters were drawn by drawsegs. Or that 6 was equal as 18.

This may depend on how many drawsegs and vissprites the map has, and how much cache RAM your CPU has.

SoD MAP28 is pretty high on vissprites, and probably in the mid-high range on drawsegs, and I have 4 MB of cache RAM in my Q8200. With those parameters I experienced a 6 FPS increase at one particular point in the map (and a general increase overall). It may be possible to see a greater increase elsewhere, though.

Either way, CSonicGo, you cannot be whining just because SVN builds don't go up the second something is committed. Have some patience.

For Gez, yes there was a recent SVN commit that would not compile; this is an exception to the rule. As for stuff like the sound menu, features that aren't finished, I wouldn't withhold builds on that basis alone since it's pretty much the essence of SVN builds that they contain unfinished stuff :) That is of course completely at your discretion and I'm not telling you what to do, only offering my opinion. The new sound menu still isn't finished, actually, because I got distracted with a couple other things such as the drawsegs optimization :)

WEll I didn't think it whining, but a call for some sort of consistency taht Chocolate doom has been receiving for quite a while now. And I'm amazed zdoom isn't like this yet. Compiling them all by hand is tedious surely, and a dedicated box for compiling would be a better option.

if lack of resources is a reason, I'm sure someone can donate an XBOX or something... :P

Edit: yes I had patience. 4 days of it. That's 345,600 seconds! C'mon, guys. :P

Revision 1133 2010-04-25 21:03:45
Post 871870 04-26-10 20:51

26th 21:03 - 25th 20:51 = 24:12. That's 87 120 seconds.

Csonicgo said:

WEll I didn't think it whining, but a call for some sort of consistency taht Chocolate doom has been receiving for quite a while now. And I'm amazed zdoom isn't like this yet. Compiling them all by hand is tedious surely, and a dedicated box for compiling would be a better option.

if lack of resources is a reason, I'm sure someone can donate an XBOX or something... :P

Edit: yes I had patience. 4 days of it. That's 345,600 seconds! C'mon, guys. :P

Again more whining and complaining. How about some gratitude for a free service instead.

EE cannot be built in an automated fashion with its current build system for Windows. To do so would require a makefile targeting the Microsoft C compiler and I'm not interested in having to maintain such in addition to the project files.

No more complaints or I'm locking this.

CSonicGo, quit whining. Come on, man.

I, for one, appreciate Gez's service in providing SVN builds for us. Unless you want to build and upload your own on a regular basis, I'd appreciate if you don't try to chase him off. Thanks.

esselfortium said:

CSonicGo, quit whining. Come on, man.

I, for one, appreciate Gez's service in providing SVN builds for us. Unless you want to build and upload your own on a regular basis, I'd appreciate if you don't try to chase him off. Thanks.

Yeah seriously. Just because Gez is nice enough to actually help us out doesn't mean you can start demanding shit of him.