Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Avoozl

Which doom 2 maps creeped you out on first impression

Well I would say the map which creeped me out on first impression was the courtyards, the music along with the staring red eyes on the goat reliefs got to me. I felt a little scared but I was quite young then and it didn't affect me anymore after.

think i would say map 30 too. scary song and the the reversed talk and a shit load of enemies. bur i find some small areas on each map scary and very impressive on the same time.

I never really found any map in DooM II scary. I first played it several years ago. DooM on the other hand did scare me a lot as a kid.

MAP30 is the one that really fucked me up as a kid. But most of the scary levels were in the original game.

Map02 - the dark tunnels,
Map04 - very dark, unnerving clank of the seargents' loophole,
Map28 - general atmosphere
Map30 - the voice, not really knowing what was going on,

MAP06, when I was playing on "I'm too young to die". Not as much creeped as impressed.
First, the lone hell knight on the crusher platform. I thought he was just a baron of hell shaded by the lights, and because of this I marveled at how powerful the SSG is.
Then, the revenant scared me shitless when his red-hot missile took about 35% of my health away. I had to leave the revenant part for someone else to solve, because I was afraid. And finally the megasphere secret. Cool one. Even at that age I was curious enough to try that ledge.
Lots of new things appearing suddenly at MAP06 on lower skill levels.

When I was very young, E1M1 on I'm too young to die. I was just a small kid trying to not get killed by some zombiemen.

Map30: Trying to load a game saved after entering the big room always crashed my copy of Doom, adding to the creepiness.

Map32: Keens were a big WTF the first time I played.

E1M5 because of 3 things:
-the creepy music
-a lot of dark rooms
-first encounter of the Spectres on HMP

Although that was my first impression back in 1999/2000 when I was young.

Edit: Heh I just notice that the topic meant DOOM 2 but chances are that most people who started playing Doom play the shareware first :P

Philnemba said:

Edit: Heh I just notice that the topic meant DOOM 2 but chances are that most people who started playing Doom play the shareware first :P

Mine was Doom2 v1.666, cuz that's all that was popular with local pirates circa-1996 and QUAKE.

Mr. T said:

Mine was Doom2 v1.666, cuz that's all that was popular with local pirates circa-1996 and QUAKE.

Maybe I should have said SOME people instead of MOST people -_-;

Philnemba said:

-_-;

Facepalm sign? That semicolon looks like a hand slapping one's head.

It's usually meant to be a tear of embarrassment, a smiley version of the anime hovering giant teardrop.

Thanks, you fufilled my needy need to be in the majority. Map12 was pretty creepy in the way it built suspense. "I've arrived at the city, but something's not quite right oh fuck arachnotrons"

None that I can think of, it was only later in Doom64 that I was a bit jumpy tanks to the music and atmosphere and *bam!* a specter bit me to death, can't remember the map though.

as for the original games, the only places that gave me a scare was when the Icon of sin started talking. I sooooo did not expect that.

I'm not sure if MAP30 'creeped me out' so much as made me physically intimidated and scared to play it. The music was horrifying too.

I think the only thing that creeped me out in the original game, funnily enough, was the John Romero head on a stick after no-clipping through the boss in map 30. At the time I didn't know who John Romero was, so it just seemed like an abnormally sized conscious severed head impaled on a stick. Weird.

Other then this, I found the doom games to be a colorful and action-packed experience, not a scary one. Doom 64 was the only game that seemed to be genuinely after the scare factor, which was done well in that regard.

I don't think any Doom2 map creeped me out, but I shat myself the first time I heard a revenant wake-up scream (without seeing what had made it).

The only map that creeped me out the entire way in Doom 2 was Map28. Hellish theme/music was about the only one that really felt like... well, Hell.

However, the one moment that creeped me out the most, and it sticks with me to this day, is Map11, when the walls lift up and that AV springs out like nobody's business. When you're 7, something like that just shouldn't be part of it.

Of course, if we extend this to Doom... E2M4 had quite the atmosphere. E3M2 for when I looked at the automap.

I played Doom 2 first, so I still remember Map05 (The Waste Tunnels) to creep me out a bit. But it was the brown, infernal sky in the early Doom 2 levels that made every place feel oppressive and unsettling for me.
Doom 1 felt a bit lighter in my opinion.

PSX Doom creeped me out many many times, due to the overall feel and atmosphere. PC version, pretty much never did.

I was terrified by the soulspheres in Doom 1, and whenever there were any I would look away from them where possible. I was also terrified of the scrolling texture that you start facing in MAP30 - basically anything with a face on it would scare me.

Played Doom II after I got Quake's shareware, so basically I didn't find any frightening map in Doom II.
Ultimate Doom, on the other hand... :)

E1M5 and E2M4 are the only ones that were scary to me back in the day, also, most of the later levels of Doom 64, mainly pointing at level 21 "The Pitfalls",. Fuck that music and fuck that place.

E3M4 didn't freak me out as such, but that one room overlooking the giant blood pool full of hanging corpses is atmospheric perfection; I used to IDCLEV/SPISPOPD to that point often while designing some of my early levels. Doom II didn't have any moments like that, though the dark area to the west of the start point in "The Waste Tunnels" always made me a bit nervous.

Enjay said:

I don't think any Doom2 map creeped me out, but I shat myself the first time I heard a revenant wake-up scream (without seeing what had made it).

This. I played MAP06 in Doom 95, and hearing the god awful scream made me jump out of my chair.

Actually, I'm pretty certain I've said this before...