Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
judeauxx

Text messages

Hey guys,

a question regarding text messages:

How do I display a text message in Doom Builder in order to give some story input?
Didn't find a tutorial so far.

judeauxx said:

Hey guys,

a question regarding text messages:

How do I display a text message in Doom Builder in order to give some story input?
Didn't find a tutorial so far.

This isn't something you can do via the map in just about any port without making at least some effort in the department of script editing. For instance EE and ZDoom both have "MAPINFO" systems that can specify text to appear between any two levels. EE has a codepointer that you can put into a monster or other items' frames that will cause a message to be given to the player, but that message has to be defined through the EDF language. Just some examples.

Err... You don't? Why do you want to display a text message in Doom Builder, people aren't supposed to play your mod with an editor. Though I suppose you could try writing a plugin for DB2...

More seriously, though. If you mean the intermission messages such as those at the end of each Doom or Heretic episode, between each Hexen cluster, or before levels 7, 12, 21, 31, 32 of Doom II, then you can't set it at all in DB. You have to edit a MAPINFO lump and/or a DEHACKED lump to change that, and that's a task for a lump editor, something DB isn't.

If you mean messages displayed during gameplay, then you'd have to read up on scripting languages such as ACS or FraggleScript.

You would need all your player's phone numbers.

Clonehunter said:

So those messages between levels are those MAPINFO lumps? Finally!

Mapinfo or Dehacked or something else, depending on the implementation and mod. vanilla doom mods with edited messages use Dehacked.

Gez said:

Err... You don't? Why do you want to display a text message in Doom Builder, people aren't supposed to play your mod with an editor. Though I suppose you could try writing a plugin for DB2...

There does seem to be an increasing number of people who speak about DB as if it was the engine doesn't there. It's like asking "how do you get a picture to appear in a pencil". You don't. You use the pencil to create the picture.

Enjay said:

It's like asking "how do you get a picture to appear in a pencil". You don't.

Me waits for the next generation Smartpen. :-)

I'm currently working with MAPINFO and I was able to display a text message between two levels.
However, how do I create line breaks using MAPINFO in XWE? \n didn't work so far.

This is something I've been wanting to do as well. So you can enter a hidden room, hit a switch or something, and a secret message pops up. Or you could have a message appear at the start of your map like you see in Jdoom (is that right?), where it tells you the map and author names in large letters. I always thought that was very cinematic and looks more professional.

judeauxx said:

how do I create line breaks using MAPINFO in XWE? \n didn't work so far.

Just skip a line ( or two ). No need for \n or \n\n