Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kittytaymar

let there be light!

Outside in the night, I don't put anything brighter than 128. It IS supposed to be fairly dark, only lit by the stars, moon and whatever building lighting is in the vicinity. If it's in the deep outside, probably I should only put 112.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned in this thread is the effect of FLATs on light level/gradients. Darker FLATs show gradients better than a floor/ceiling with lighter FLATs. FLOOR4_8, for example, will show light variations better than a floor/ceiling that uses FLAT19.

But sticking with the topic at hand, I've found that preferences for in-game light levels are both subjective, and depend on the user's monitor & settings. Some people prefer lower light levels overall, while others don't. Furthermore, people build generally maps that suit their tastes, support the mood they're going for, and appear a certain way on their monitors. Players that use a different setting will likely not experience the same thing.

For my part, I generally use the following:

Outdoor areas under open sky = 160
Outdoor areas not under open sky (e.g., roof eaves) = 136-152
Indoor areas with windows/lights (not directly-lit sectors) = 128
Indoor directly-lit areas = 136-152 (typically with gradients)
Indoor dimly-lit areas = 112
Indoor areas with no lights (e.g., tunnels) = 96

Ahh, the heart of it. What's the balance between subjectivity and objectivity? I'm prepared to compromise; I'll say 172 for default brightness.