Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
skogsto09

No Rest For The Living Demos [-complevel 2]

DSDA page aka nrftl // nrftl.wad // nerve // nerve.wad

Decided to try out the new xbla D2 episode addon. More demos to come for this one? :)

NR as in No Rest

map01 - The Earth Base - maxkill - 04:37

nr01-437.zip

Edited by Maribo

I cannot suggest any other way than downloading the game from xbox live markedplace. Rip it, then playdemo like usual :)

Henning, are you really recorded this with 1.9 doom?

Just now I see 2 area with massive HOMs here and know about inevitable VPO on m03.

PS btw, are xbox executable allow recording of demos?

Hitherto said:

Henning, are you really recorded this with 1.9 doom?

Just now I see 2 area with massive HOMs here and know about inevitable VPO on m03.

PS btw, are xbox executable allow recording of demos?

Yes, and v1.9.exe handels at least map01 ok. Just one area gets a little funky look :)

And yes the xbox exe records a demo automatically when you play.

how can demos be justified on this wad when it's never been officialy released on the PC yet (if ever) ?

Which means if I buy it from the xbox Live service and convert it to a wad, it probably will be different from the one you used and the demos will desynch.

And if we use the xbox to record the demos, will the demos be compatible with other ports ?

If it is just a case of copying the wad file from one device to the other, presumably it will work OK.

Even more: this WAD has been compiled with ZenNode.

So problem is only in getting it legally: without <censored> box you even not able buy this stuff.

Before anyone posts anything unfortunate, bear this in mind. Not negotiable, not up for discussion.

But feel free to post demos of these maps, discuss those demos, and discuss how people who have bought a copy can record on it, and any problems that might arise due to any incompatibilities or differences in the exe, etc., and how they might be overcome.

VinceDSS said:

Which means if I buy it from the xbox Live service and convert it to a wad, it probably will be different from the one you used and the demos will desynch.

I don't know what makes you think that. The WAD files inside the doom2.disk file are currently universal. The only reason they would differ is if an updated version of the game is made.

Just so you know, the latest SVN build of Eternity can load this file directly, without requiring any hex hacking. Use the following command line:

eternity -disk doom2.disk nerve

Leaving off "nerve" will cause you to play the XBLA IWAD. This means the only thing you must do is extract the disk file using a tool such as Modio. I wasn't going to advertise this ability, at least for a good while, but I figure it might be helpful for things like this.

If someone doesnt include GFX such as level names or the music?
Would that make demos desynch ?

VinceDSS said:

If someone doesnt include GFX such as level names or the music?
Would that make demos desynch ?

No, but it might make the game exit, depending on what port you are using. Also, the secret exit on MAP04 and return from MAP09 to MAP05 won't be supported unless you have a port with native support for it, or have created an appropriate MAPINFO lump.

for some reason I thought if some resources like GFX, patches, textures and such were missing or organised differently, It would cause a desynch

VinceDSS said:

for some reason I thought if some resources like GFX, patches, textures and such were missing or organised differently, It would cause a desynch

The only graphical difference which is known to be capable of desyncing a demo is if you change the height of any texture which is used on a linedef action which raises/lowers floors or ceilings by the height of the shortest lower texture around.

Note that even changing the height of the AASHITTY/AASTINKY texture may cause this, because it is unintentionally accessed by any such action which has a blank texture anywhere around the target sector.

Quasar said:

Also, the secret exit on MAP04 and return from MAP09 to MAP05 won't be supported unless you have a port with native support for it, or have created an appropriate MAPINFO lump.

When I made a No Rest For The Living pc wad I switched the maps to 12-19 and 31 so that the secret exit would work in any port.

better make youtube videos out of these demos so people can watch them without needing the wad.

No Rest For The Living is a particular case because it's a commercial wad for the XBox and so many players don't have it on PC, so youtube videos make sense.

For other wads, youtube videos are bigger in size, much lower quality, you can't speed up/down, switch perspective or resume watching from a particular point... Much better to share lmps and use PrBoom+.

As for ZDoom demos (all 4 of them), most versions can be found on DSDA I think. Besides, that sounds a little ridiculous to me to record with high-res models and textures only to then apply awful compression to the video and sending it to youtube. Most likely original Doom textures and sprites will look much better than the result you'd get.

Phml said:

For other wads, youtube videos are bigger in size, much lower quality, you can't speed up/down, switch perspective or resume watching from a particular point... Much better to share lmps and use PrBoom+.

Well, resume watching is probably easier on Youtube since you can just move the player marker to a specific point in one mouse movement, instead of having to type in a specific command on prboom. Otherwise, yes, youtube sucks.

However, I think the main reason to upload videos onto Youtube is that it has a much BIGGER audience. For example, I'm willing to bet that 90% of Tatsurd's 600+ subscribers do not know what the hell an LMP file even is. If through Youtube, you can reach out to more people and get more interested in recording demos or even just doom in general, then all the better. At least that's my main goal in uploading demos (albeit not recorded by myself) onto Youtube.

You're right. That makes sense and I agree with you. I was more speaking from a selfish, "dude who's already acquainted well enough with Doom to browse the speed demo forum on Doomworld" perspective ; Youtube definitely has its uses, to get the word out and such.

Phml said:

No Rest For The Living is a particular case because it's a commercial wad for the XBox and so many players don't have it on PC, so youtube videos make sense.

Not to mention everybody's deadset on creating their own version of the wad rather than sticking to some kind of standard, so nobody's demo files are going to be interchangeable.

Quasar said:

Not to mention everybody's deadset on creating their own version of the wad rather than sticking to some kind of standard, so nobody's demo files are going to be interchangeable.

I know of only two that are suitable for demo recording:
1. Method described by cybdmn on the wiki.
2. Same but also move maps so that secret exit works.

Hi, here's mine. They can definitely be improved, or maybe someone already has? Well I have completed the secret level on UV speed in 0:48 and hell mountain on UV speed 0:57

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=MLIF3AHG

These were recorded with strawberry-doom but they have been tested and work under doom2+.

If you have a problem running the demos don't hesitate to pm me I can probably help.

EDIT: Knew I could do better on map 09, my new time is 30 seconds,

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=FVHS31TE