Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ikreeda

Freedoom now on iPhone

Dear All

We are proud to announce that we have used Freedoom 2 iWad for our Game Hell on Earth 2, which is now available on the Apple App store.

iTunes Link: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/hell-on-earth-ii-3d-fps/id363510823?mt=8

Youtube Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aLHOTSzOW0

We would like to take this opportunity thank every one who has contribute to this great project.

We are hopping to actively participate on this project to make it a success. Unfortunately most of our team members are into development. But as we expand our team we should be able participate on the graphics side as well.

Regards,
iKreeda Dev team

Sounds the same as with Linux. Linux is free, you can download it for free from the slackware site. I pay the $50 to get the Slackware release on CDROM because it has been packaged and the parts made to work together.

Trasher][ said:
Presumably it's based on the source code to Doom Classic.

Still, charging a buck for a freedoom pwad seems pretty scummy.

Well it is not like we are selling just the Freedoom pwad for a buck. What we have done is, take this great community project and combined it with the iPhone Doom engine and with our own iPhone interface/menu graphics and sound tracks to release it as a complete game on the App Store.

It took us more than a month to finish this. That included menu and interface graphic designing and sound/music creation and also lot of R&D into understand Doom iPhone internal data formats that they have used for iPhone menu graphic storing. Which was the most difficult part.

So don’t think we just downloaded this and selling it with out any effort from our self.
Anyway we are only charging the minimum amount possible on the App Store ($0.99). Most of the 3D FPS apps in App Store are sold on an average price of $6.

Anyway we are glad to have done this because reading all the wonderful reviews on the App Store makes it all worth it.

As for the source code we have given a link to a webpage that contains the download link to our modified source code from the game. So any one can get it and improve it.
We have also decide to contribute sound tracks we used for this to the Freedoom project and be actively participate in this wonderful community project.

Once again I would like to thank every one who has contributed to this wonderful project.

Interesting. I'd be more open to this idea if ya'll had helped finish all the unfinished sprites. Because I do not own an iPhone, nor do i have any desire to, what happened to all the unfinished freedoom sprites?

And on a slightly unrelated note, didn't T.V. say that it would be possible to make Harmony run in Vanilla Doom with some modification? I'd love to see Harmony ported to the iPhone...

Patrick said:

And on a slightly unrelated note, didn't T.V. say that it would be possible to make Harmony run in Vanilla Doom with some modification? I'd love to see Harmony ported to the iPhone...

Considering Harmony was all done in DeHackEd it would seem to me all you would need are (maybe) some ZDoom code pointers and the ability to show high resolution sprites. I never actually looked, but the maps may already be in the original Doom format (I certainly don't recall any scripted events).

Blzut3 said:

I never actually looked, but the maps may already be in the original Doom format

They are.

I admit making an i-phone version of harmony would be interesting.
If it has a chance to work I will look into it.

Numerous resources will have to be altered but the major problem will be to keep it legal.

I am a bit puzzled on how you got Hell on Earth 2 to work legally.
* Does it use the ZDoom engine like Freedom. If so:
IIRC Zdoom cannot be (part of anything) sold for profit. None of the engines can.

* Does it use the i-phone version of Doom as an iwad/engine and loads Hell on Earth 2 as an additional wad? If so:
IIRC pwads may not be sold for profit.

As far as I know there is no legal way to sell a doom project (including Harmony in its current form).
So how was this solved for Hell on Earth 2?

t.v. said:

I* Does it use the ZDoom engine like Freedom. If so:
IIRC Zdoom cannot be (part of anything) sold for profit. None of the engines can.

Freedoom doesn't need ZDoom. It can be run on a wide variety of ports, including GLBoom, which is the port which was used as a base for the iPhone port of Doom, whose source code is available here.

Since that code is under the GPL, selling it for profit is perfectly acceptable, the only requirement being that the source code remains available and gratis.

Porting Harmony to a stand-alone app based on the GLBoom code wouldn't be very hard. All that's needed is to add a scaling system for sprites. It's rather trivial because Doom already scale sprites anyway (to account for distance) so you just need to add a single other factor in the computation. As far as I know, GLBoom already supports hi-fi music formats such as OGG or MP3; and it can run embedded dehacked lumps.

interesting! thanks

Next to scaling the sprites there are a few other things.
One of those things: I don't have permission to put the music and numerous sound effect in a sell-able product, but that could be arranged.

Since the i-phone version of Doom uses the GLBoom code, does this mean it can run maps that cause visplane overflow in vanilla doom? in other words does it remove the visplane limit?

t.v. said:

Since the i-phone version of Doom uses the GLBoom code, does this mean it can run maps that cause visplane overflow in vanilla doom? in other words does it remove the visplane limit?

I believe so, yes. I'm pretty sure some of the freedoom levels go over the vanilla visplane limit.

Wow! So many talented people registered on DoomWorld last time.

1. Take PrBoom (people worked hard for years on it)
2. Take Freedoom (many people worked hard for years on it)
3. Put them together.
4. Add some graphics and the name in credits
5. Sell it on Apple store 'just for $1'
6. Be registered on forum with all these people who worked hard on stuff you are trying to sell and impudently to advertise it.
7. ??????
8. PROFIT

boris said:
So where's the source (for the iwad)?

It's under a BSD-style license, so there's no obligation to make the source available...

Trasher][ said:
...charging a buck for a freedoom pwad seems pretty scummy.

Freedoom's basis is for it to be free. This is a crime against free enterprise!

EDIT: I fix'd the instructions
1. Take PrBoom (people worked hard for years on it)
2. Take Freedoom (many people worked hard for years on it)
3. Put them together.
4. Add some graphics and the name in credits
5. Sell it on Apple store 'just for $1'
6. PROFIT
7. Be registered on forum with all these people who worked hard on stuff you are trying to sell and impudently to advertise it.
8. MOAR PROFIT

DoomTroll said:

Freedoom's basis is for it to be free. This is a crime against free enterprise!

LOL, this is pretty much the definition of free enterprise.

Have you actually read the license? Do you see anything about preventing sales in there?

david_a said:

Have you actually read the license?

Have you ever read the name?

I'm pretty sure that FreeDoom has something about it that by unchangeable default makes it free.

EDIT: And i meant free hacker enterprise, sorry.

DoomTroll said:

Have you ever read the name?

I'm pretty sure that FreeDoom has something about it that by unchangeable default makes it free.

No, not legally. There is nothing in the license that prevents someone from charging money for it. End of story.

Nothing is preventing somebody from making a 'free Freedoom' iPhone app and undercutting them.

david_a said:

No, not legally. There is nothing in the license that prevents someone from charging money for it. End of story.

Nothing is preventing somebody from making a 'free Freedoom' iPhone app and undercutting them.

Oh well, but I can sure commend you on the second part of your comment. That is a shining example of free hacker enterprise!

EDIT: I have figured out that the graphics can be sold off, but the source code (under the GNU GPL) may not ever be sold for profit or not, so they might have used a slightly different engine for the iphone, thereby makinga map and gaphics patch legal to sell. Go figure.