Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baronofheck82

What makes you nervous?

I have the somewhat standard phobia concerning heights, but I'm regarded as an odd case because nervousness doesn't get me in the same way that it does most people (main theory being its due to my having Asperger's, but there you go).

To elaborate, say we're on the day before a major exam. Most people are worrying. Maybe they're revising a lot, outwardly concerned, restless and trying to prepare themselves for it. Maybe they don't get a good nights sleep, they're tetchy and in the last hour or so they're practically bursting with adrenaline and in and out of the toilet every 5 minutes.

By contrast I'm emotionally unaffected, my thoughts aren't affected in any way and to talk to I'm not any different to any other day. There's a theory I may actually be robot going round at the moment. However, inthat same day or so where everybody else is bricking it, I'll get some sort of physical oddity for the day. Maybe a bloodshot eye in a seriously important case, or perhaps my stomach will ache a bit. I've come out in a rash once before my results for some year of education or another. Its almost as if my body does the worrying for me :\

I've also found myself shaking a bit (or even a lot) before some social interactions and feeling the same sort of way as I might before a low key (but important) exam. Again, nothing emotional in it and as far as I'm concerned all is well, but my body is doing something unexpected due to what is probably nerves. Seems strange to me and anybody else whos noticed. I remember once being asked why I was shaking and the only answer I could think of was "I do that sometimes... I can guess at why its happening now specifically, but don't know why it happens."

But yeah, on-topic summary: Heights.

For some reason black hole glitches in video games creeps me out. Like when you go somewhere your not supposed to and its all black and stuff. Also drains in pools and ponds, and just thinking about being in a water tower creeps me the fuck out.

The main thing I can think of is spiders - supposedly when I was young (maybe 2 or 3) my older brother would shove spiders in my face for laughs, and now I seem to have arachnophobia (not that I blame him that much - everyone does stupid things as a child). It's definitely not as bad as it used to be, but still when I see a big/fast spider (especially inside a house or in close proximity) it gives me the creeps. Jumping spiders always seemed nice though (I can hold them with no problem). Similar deal with daddy long legs (I forget their other names). I still find big spiders fascinating to look at, maybe because they freak me out a little. And many of them are actually poisonous (in a way that is dangerous to us)...

I have a mild fear of heights, which I think is entirely natural/good, considering the actual danger involved.

You're weeding your garden and then all of a sudden a motherfucking centipede pops out.

Strangely, I also have a similar phobia of centipedes (as of spiders) even though I see no reason for it - not even any bad memories of them. Still, they freak me out at least a little when I see them. My old house used to have buttloads of them, being that it was a basement. They were the kind that ^ wiki has a photo of...

Oh and bees, and wasps and other bee-like things. Not flies, or spiders, or whatever but bees always make me feel uneasy. Maybe it's because when i was like 4 or something a dead be got stuck in my shirt and stung me :(

Some centipedes are quite edible and don't taste bad either. Lots of people are terrified or just disgusted by them it seems.

It's not so much the centipede but the way it pops out from under rocks and dirt and stuff when you aren't expecting it.

arrrgh said:

It's not so much the centipede but the way it pops out from under rocks and dirt and stuff when you aren't expecting it.

Or from under your tiolet, centipedes and millipedes only invade bathrooms.

GhostlyDeath said:

Or from under your tiolet, centipedes and millipedes only invade bathrooms.

Nothing invades my porcelain throne. I keep a can of Raid (bug-killer) handy to enforce this law.

And when I encounter a centipede or spider in the house or garage?
It gets sprayed...
the immediate area gets sprayed...
adjoining areas get sprayed...
the air gets sprayed...
snow dog gets sprayed...
the wife gets sprayed...
etc.

It's the only way to be sure.

bytor said:

Nothing invades my porcelain throne. I keep a can of Raid (bug-killer) handy to enforce this law.

It gets sprayed...
the immediate area gets sprayed...
adjoining areas get sprayed...
the air gets sprayed...
snow dog gets sprayed...
the wife gets sprayed...
etc.

It's the only way to be sure.

What about yourself? or are you too proud to admit that you have centipedes living on and in you?

bytor said:

Holy shit dude. I have a roach problem where I live now because it's on the ground floor and the condo cleaning is shite (most roaches crawl in from outside), but they seldom go anywhere near the toilet. That being said I found a bunch of dead roaches in some of my cookware, because the cupboard had a hole at its back -_- The smell...

bytor said:

It gets sprayed...

Actually, I try to leave spiders alone (they eat some of the mosquitoes and drain flies, which are also a problem), sadly I don't have any centipedes to hunt down the roaches :-( If I had I surely wouldn't spray them.

GreyGhost said:

Rats eat roaches, have you considered keeping a few as pets?

...rats are worse pests than roaches, and they eat a lot of other stuff too. I could keep a cat though...

My cat loves hunting bugs. It looks really ridiculous when she does. She's scared of most of the birds in our yard, though. The big ones keep trying to hunt her.

I never kill centipedes and spiders. Spiders eat flies and flies can go to hell. Those things are just bloody annoying.