Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doom Marine

DVII Second Edition underway. It's time!

esselfortium said:

It's worth noting that Eternity, as of SVN revision 1212, now has joined ZDoom and PrBoom-Plus in supporting ZDBSP's uncompressed extended nodes format. I've tested it in combination with DB2's built-in sidedefs compression to successfully load a map with well over 70,000 sidedefs in it.

Whoa, awesome :O. When did PRBoom+ get support for it? Something tells me it was announced or said somewhere, I just haven't been paying much attention :P That's awesome news for me though! I could go back in my Vela Pax map and re-add some things I had to take out.

Also I'm surprised I haven't posted more in this thread. Your latest shots look absolutely amazing Doom Marine! I really love those ghostly looking faces in the walls.

Fuck. I rarely post here, but your avatar and impressively motivating retro-inducing level-design made me do it.

Keep it up good sir.

Not to be a killjoy, but I hope you do something inspired with that E1M1 recreation. I've played through so many recreations of that level, I'd be bummed if it didn't throw a surprise or two at me.

Mr. Freeze said:

Not to be a killjoy, but I hope you do something inspired with that E1M1 recreation. I've played through so many recreations of that level, I'd be bummed if it didn't throw a surprise or two at me.

The lack of surprises would be the biggest surprise of all time. Bigger than going to that cave and finding out Jesus disappeared, thats how big a surprise we are talking.

DVII can redeem your soul (but not mine, because I just made this post)

Also, that avatar is <3

Methinks a DVII interpretation of E1M1 will either be understated, or riddled with surprise monster rape.

Considering it's Deus Vult, I don't think we have to worry about the former situation. :P

Knowing Huy's knack for making maps that play like awesome, I'm confident he'll make it kick ass in some way or another. [/unintentionalsuckup]

I pretty much agree on Xaser's point of view of this new pic. I personal believe that Huy could turn e1m1 into some kind of creative Slaughter map that can be potentially epic as hell.

Clarification: a series of E1 maps will now be the opening act of DVII. Gameplay-wise, it should not have anything that Ultimate Doom doesn't have. Target difficulty is around E1 on UV.

Not to knock the work at all (looks great so far), but having solely remakes as the first few maps might not be the best way to start it since players won't be exposed to most of the all-new content until later on-ish. Sure, most players will have been familiar with DVII's first edition anyway, but it's still a slight concern. Perhaps mixing the E1 'makes with a couple of other maps, as a random thought?

Looking at the screenshots it looks like an original E1 tribute. It shouldn't be a problem because it is fresh enough IMHO.

Eh, it'll work either way. Not sure why I seemed so concerned about it. I make odd posts when I'm sleep deprived. :P

gun_psycho said:

One question: will the last E1 map be in the vein of E1M8?

Three E1 maps are planned, and no E1M8, that was probably one of the weakest levels as far as E1 goes.

I thought it was good as a boss map and had cool ideas. Like, all the barrels at the start with the demons. And the long hallway that lead you to the two barons. Then the walls lower when they die and reveal a huge outdoor area. EPIC. Then the rising stairs lead you into darkness and you're getting attacked by monsters and you can't do shit to defend yourself and you're like "wtf Im gonna die!!!", then you beat the level.

Indeed - I agree. The two Barons actually pose a serious threat in that area with specters and explosive barrels scattered around. The only weapon you had was the shotgun, and it takes a lot of shots to take down a single Baron with it. Eventually the walls disappear and reveal a giant pentagram. It was certainly different from the rest of E1 but it was also the transition to the hell-aspect of the following episodes.

That's a majestic looking gate.

Ya know what struck me as a cool idea? A new object to replace the exploding rocks, that works like a static enemy, IE something like the thing "eye in green stuff" that attacks the player with death-rays when the player gets close to it, and otherwise remains static. Or the floating fireball thing, to glow and cause player damage when the player gets close. Those two items are perhaps a tad bright for that area but you could easily darken them in Photoshop.

Holy mother of... Never mind the first person screenshots, the automap looks like the mutable entrails of some mythical monster! Impressive doesn’t even cover it.