Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
wesleyjohnson

Level commentary and feedback

240-185 said:

I dare you to beat MAP12 with only the pistol at start in UV mode.

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&postid=757056#post757056

240-185 said:

Tested it directly in UV mode. I managed to kill some revenants. Cool. I think I get the main problem of FreeDoom: a blatant lack of beta-testers.

Thanks for testing! Other people who have commented on it thought it was not that hard so I figured it was good.
Reading this will show you how to beat MAP31. http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/Strafing
Here is a demo of circle strafing, its very basic strategy for doom. A bunch of revenants are impossible to dodge, but you can run in circles forever. http://ftpusers.coffeenet.org/~cato/freedoom/demos/nomouse.lmp

Actually there is no lack of testers, it is people willing to post about the maps.

Catoptromancy said:
Reading this will show you how to beat MAP31. http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/Strafing
Here is a demo of circle strafing, its very basic strategy for doom. A bunch of revenants are impossible to dodge, but you can run in circles forever. http://ftpusers.coffeenet.org/~cato/freedoom/demos/nomouse.lmp

Erm, I use this technique in modern FPSes. Those which require a mouse, like Quake III Arena, or those which can be played with an XBox 360 pad like EDuke32 with the DukePlus mod. Not with FPSes from 1996 and before. I played Wolfenstein 3D, Blake Stone, Rise of the Triad, Doom I/II, the DOS version of Duke Nukem 3D, Shadow Warrior only with the keyboard. Because they were meant to be played with a keyboard.

So I guess I'm doing it wrong in this video. Basically, you want me to toss away almost 15 years of classic gaming and want me to play a '93 game as it was a game from the year 2000. Why do I feel *a bit* angry?

Actually there is no lack of testers, it is people willing to post about the maps.

MMmkay...

Keyboard can circlestrafe just fine. W + A or D + left or right arrow key.

Did you watch my demo? I use no mouse to beat the revs in MAP31. Beating this area has nothing to do with mouse control.
http://users.coffeenet.org/~cato/public_html/freedoom/demos/nomouse.lmp

240-185 said:

Because they were meant to be played with a keyboard.

Actually one of the guys that created Doom said to use a mouse. http://books.google.com/books?id=yyaxyKjyp2YC&q=mouse#v=snippet&q=mouse&f=false

240-185 said:

Because they were meant to be played with a keyboard.

Oh ok, tell that to everybody that was playing in deathmatch tourneys in 94/95 including John Romero...

I was hoping to get some feedback on levels in this thread. Please stop
insulting people who post, insinuate that they are not fit to play at level 4, or require them to pass some fitness test before commenting on your design.

Commenting on skill levels in wad design is constructive feedback. If you don't see the value in such a discussion then you obviously aren't very concerned in the first place.

Skill 4 should be difficult to the point that newer players to the game should not be able to walk through it. Period. This is why skill levels exist. Just because certain players in this thread aren't of a decent enough level of skill to complete maps on skill 4 doesn't mean that those maps should be pacified.

They're not fit to play at level 4.

That is exactly what I mean.
First you accuse the poster of trying to make the levels easy, which you invent just for the sake of jumping on the poster.

What I asked for was to have some levels more consistent with the other levels.
What I pointed out was that FreeDoom should not be one of those beat-the-player-to-death PWADS where the 'fun' has gone out of the play.

Secondly, you accuse the poster of being a weak player only capable
of playing on the newbie levels, just because they dared say something, just to be insulting.

I am asking for the moderator to review this.

(Edit : Pointless post, stuff was already said earlier by other people.)

wesleyjohnson said:
I would like to hear from someone testing my MAP09 or MAP13.

MAP13 is rather nice. If a certain path is not taken is very easy to run out of ammo though.

MAP09 has areas that look very bland. Many rooms are perfectly shaped rectangles or squares with no detailing.

Thank you for the review.

Photo posted of MAP09 is of an outdoor mining pit, not going to be
much for decoration in a mining pit.
Most of MAP09 is mining areas, mining pits, bare tunnels, rooms hewn from rock just to the point of functionality. Then there are the caves. Only a few offices and the water treatment plant get much detail. I was trying to keep the sector and linedef counts under control so it does not get as bad as MAP13 did.
This depends upon the level size limit (and if there is going to be any size limit). But yes, many tunnels and rooms at the beginning are minimal because they are service tunnels from another area. I could add a few pipes or something; will have to think about that; not anytime soon.

I was going for the old abandoned mining area look, where all the good equipment has been stripped/stolen. The level is called "The Pit" but
maybe it is not as obvious as I thought that it is a mining pit area.

MAP13 has four ways to start it. It was one of the design points that there be an ammo/weapons room. The player will have to work their way to it soon in the play, but it is approachable from three directions
without too much fighting, especially if the player passes up fighting to just get to it. If they want to fight, that can be done too, but it is more difficult, and sometimes they must run away too.

I think that if they are careful to not get into fights early, they could actually reach the ammo room on the first playing, without "learn by dying", but then again I know about the ammo room already so I cannot judge that well.

One path is to run back to the crusher and get the shotgun from the pit. The player can then get to the ammo room from the warehouse.
That path is the least obvious, but you get a free shotgun. Someone could run around madly, fall in the pit, and discover it by accident, it could happen.
Otherwise you must take a shotgun off of some shotgun-guy.
If that is too difficult I could offer one that is easier to get.

If a weapon is shot off outside it will attract much attention. Player can try to run quietly, get the shotgun, and get inside fast, or can try to stand and fight and very probably die. I do not know how obvious that might be to anyone testing so I mention it here to save time. If you like fighting monsters coming at you from every direction that is the easy to get your wish.

I have played all the paths, but have done this so many times that I can no longer judge the difficulty it may pose to other players.