Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hellbent

Helltrip wad finally released!

helltrip.wad

download it.

If you could please record a demo of you playing it and what port and what version, I'd really appreciate it!

Description:
You wake up in a small room with no recollection of how you go there. You see a dead demon on the floor and shudder, wondering how it might have gotten there. You notice that your knuckles are bloody. You must have fought the demon and then collapsed from exhaustion. You take stock of your surroundings but there isn't much to see. You wonder where you are and immediately start to search for clues. There must be some way out of this hell hole....

Game: Doom 2
Level: map01
new Music: no (E2m6 and e2m4 used)
New Sounds: no
New Grahpics: no (some doom 1 textures used)
Base: built from sctatch
Build Time: hours upon hours

Special thanks to PRIMEVAL for merging the music.

This is a beta, please report bugs.

Maybe because it's the middle of the night and the lights are off, but this wad I'm working on is really freakin' me out. I mean, if this isn't hell, I don't know what is. Doom doesn't scare me that much anymore, but the second half of this wad does. It feels like the monsters are coming out of the walls. It is twisted evil, hellbent on seriously deranged destruction. Too bad it's designed for only the most hardcore and intense doomers.

Thanks everyone for helping with the name![/edit]

Now I just need to find a fitting name:

Frantic
Rat in a cage
Hell
Point of No Return
The Walls are Alive

a lot of pre-existing Doom 1 names would work:
Hell Beneath
House of Pain
Unto The Cruel
Unto Thee Wickedly
Perfect Hatred
Halls of the Damned

I'll post screenies and maybe a 'beta' tomorrow.

Reality seemed to be getting warped as I was playtesting my wad and it gave me an interesting idea for a monster. One that is invisible below a certain light level. Let's say light level drops below 128 the monster is no longer visible. Could be used for some freaky haunted house effects.

Hellbent said:

hellbent

nice...

Anyway, none of those suggested names impress me. If I was in your situation, I'd probably look up through death or black metal band names and get inspired that way.

Satanic Blood
where Dead Angels Lie
Helvete
Mourning Palace
Lair Of Infinite Desperation
Crematorium
Cataclysmic Nihilism
Three On A Meathook

...I'm sure I could come up with some others...

I feel like I've heard it all. I can't really think of a name that would really strike me as being scary or in any way intimidating.

Well, they aren't bands but...

- Screams From Below
- Panic
- The Darkness That Tortures
- Beyond Eternal Torment
- Bled Dry
- Damnation of Flesh

Asphixiation
Darkness Wells
Monument of Filth
Palace of Cinders
Miasmal Onslaught

but...kinda hard to come up with a name with no screens to see the theme.

If you freak out too much, try making it look like this instead. :p

Eponasoft said:

Helvete

Oh man, nothing is scarier than the Swiss. What with their cheese and their chocolate and their lederhosen and their cuckoo clocks.

Seriously though, it may sound ominous to the Scandinavians, but it wouldn't work everywhere.

I'd recommend going with something simple. Like "Finality".

Gez said:

Oh man, nothing is scarier than the Swiss. What with their cheese and their chocolate and their lederhosen and their cuckoo clocks.

Seriously though, it may sound ominous to the Scandinavians, but it wouldn't work everywhere.

Things that sound oddly familiar, but with a very little difference mean something totally worse, are the best at creeping people out. It's not "helvetia", it's "helvete" (even if it might be a declination of "helvetia" (I dunno), it becomes apparent later on that the map author had nothing on Switzerland... and it was probably Hell instead... and all that matters... and we were fooled all along thinking it's nice Switzerland).

Finality sounds too much like Serenity, Infinity, Eternity or that Absolut vodka.

Helvete is "hell" in swedish and norwegian. I think that would work as a wad name.

But I would go for a more action themed name for a "scary" wad cause Doom isn't that scary unlees your'e a 8 year old kid IMO. Giving a wad an over-the-top evil, satanic, scary name can be very cheesy and lame.

dannebubinga said:

Doom isn't that scary unlees your'e a 8 year old kid IMO.

YOU DON"T SAY. Doom can be scary if you populate it with custom invisible monsters that scream when attacking (and make deep noises when floating. And act unpredictable).

printz said:

YOU DON"T SAY. Doom can be scary if you populate it with custom invisible monsters that scream when attacking (and make deep noises when floating. And act unpredictable).

I can imagine that being scary. But I have not played doom where there are invisible screaming monsters with unpredictable AI... So I stick with my opinion that it isn't scary for now.

Other names that have been bugging my mind:

INFERNAL TORMENT

NiGhTmArE CITADEL

And yea, Doom can be scary if you're in a custom-content megawad and the author made sure to add cohesion and build tension towards the end. The typical starting easy, continuing nicely, then springing some satanism on player's head, again becoming easy, then scaring some crap. Again, stuff that aren't as they seem work best, otherwise the player will be under the mood of war well-prepared.

Well, my wad is almost done. I'd post screenies but it's not the look of the wad that makes it hellish.... it's the way it was designed. /maniacal laughter/

Halls of the Damned
Panic
Hell
Fear
Temple of Hate
are some names I'm thinking of using. Thanks everyone for the input! The wad is basically Halls of the Damned on crack.

Try understating the horror with a name that only evokes mild feelings of horror, like "Taxes" or "Grocery Shopping."

"Hellbent" is good. It doesn't matter if it's taken, because everything already is.

everyone said:

random "scary" mapnames

yawn

I suggest you to avoid the clise names and aim to something more distinctive. An appropriate music will help you too (for this I suggest you themes from the most intense scenes of horror movies, as your map seems to be about despair rather than suspense).

There's actually a lot of suspense in my map. There are a lot of fuck no! moments. It's a long map (prolly too long--I might shorten it if feedback complains too much). It's about a lot of things tho. There is definitely despair in it. Slasher horror movie stuff, too--as well as ultra-violence.

@Creaphis: the irony of me pointing out that Hellbent is taken is that it was the first wad I uploaded to the archives. :p

I'd really like to find a long, slow, simple, moody and in deep registers midi for this map. With a few parts that are slightly raised in tempo (from like double full beats to single full beats with higher pitched quarter beats--but mostly just deep register long beats).

Hellbent said:

The Resurrection.

Ergh no.

Only thing that comes to mind at the moment is 'Despair'

Hellbent said:

Too bad it's designed for only the most hardcore and intense doomers.

Okay, you have my attention!

As for scary names, the only thing that springs to mind is: 'What Huy really has between his legs.' However, I'm not sure that's what you're looking for!

Insane_Gazebo said:

Okay, you have my attention!

Same here. Say, Gazebo, how is MAP13 of Sunder coming along?

Eponasoft said:

Satanic Blood
where Dead Angels Lie
Helvete
Mourning Palace
Lair Of Infinite Desperation
Crematorium
Cataclysmic Nihilism
Three On A Meathook

...I'm sure I could come up with some others...

Nihiliclysm
Obsidian Oblique
Hawk Eye Peak (for a mountainy area)
Tomb of the Forgotten King
Thurmaturgy (for a teleport-heavy map)
The Mephitic Grotto
Crush, Kill, Destroy (based off of the game by that name, and for a trap-heavy map :P)
Blood Orgy

Gez said:

Sjøl ikkje Gud kan hørra oss når me ber i frå Helvete!
Not even God can hear us when we pray from Hell
(Kaizers Orchestra)