Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Okuplok

Speed of Doom demos [-complevel 9]

ahahah! wil, that moment at ~6:40 is the coolest thing i've seen in a while. i imagine you panicked at the keyboard, but the way you casually switched to ssg and disrupted his attack is awesome.

I originally wanted to post and say thanks because I don't feel like figuring out/memorizing 7 different secrets in DB2, but now I want to curse you as the map is somehow 300% harder *with* secrets rather than without (hitting the eye switch while under fire is a PITA, so is fighting that corridor cybie).

I got 100% kills in ~12:30 without recording on first attempt. Now that I'm using a route with secrets I haven't even managed to reach the exit yet and I've tried dozen of times already... And I'm afraid that if I ever get an exit, the time will be worse too, heh.

Map23 in 6:16

Lucky to have done this now. I didn't spend time finding monsters this time around. Still need to find a way of getting up the STS on my advanced HUD.

This zip file also inculdes my super fail in Map33.

sod23-616.zip

Did a UV-Max for map 22 in 7:56. If there's one major pet peeve of mine, it's badly designed monster teleporters as you'll see in action at the final battle. The fact every monster came out to play in this run is luck, plain and simple.

Besides that, the rest of the level was fun and challenging. Still could go around 20 seconds faster or so depending on how daring you are at wiping the cybie trio in quick order.

sd22-756.zip

Really nice demos guys. :-) Wasn't sure people would be brave enough to encounter Map24 :P.

And Nevan, hats off to you sir. Map23 isn't easy undoubtedly, anyone who gets this done is certainly skilled.

Anyway, thought I'd contribute something.

Map 19 UV-Max: 9:47

I don't think it would look good if I didn't do one max at least on my precious of a project. :P So I did Map19, a favourite of mine in the megawad with a time of 9:47. Certainly can be done a lot better, perhaps 7-8 minutes is possible. The demo has a lot of screwups, since I'm not that skilled and I'm not a fan of prboom mouse handling (I use skulltag a lot instead). At least I can fill up the table :P.

sd19-947.zip

After watching the latest UV-Max for map 14, I figured I'd take a crack at trying to improve it further while dinner was getting made here just a little while ago (Heh, seems dinner getting made is a ritual here when recording some kind of SoD demo). If I didn't get a run, so be it, I'll try again tomorrow morning.

That didn't happen. My successful exit just a few moments ago clocked in at 5:01. Oh yeah.

A 4:xx is certainly possible with enough effort.

sd14-501.zip

Map 14 UV-Max again. You know what this means.

Yup, I scored my 4:xx time I was hunting for...and by a good margin too.

New time is 4:48. Not gonna try to lower this any further since it'd just be too frustrating and luck based from here on out.

sd14-448.zip

Anima Zero said:

New time is 4:48.

that invul grab couldn't have been tighter. the arch blast would probably be lethal. :)

Ive done my first uv-max run on map11 in 7:22, the time is definitly not the best but I dont really like the map that much so I dont wanna do it again :P. Its more of a table filler then a serious effort. I forgot to use complevel 9, I dont know if that is a big problem.

sd11-722.zip

Wow, wow, and a whole shipment of WOW has been delivered.

The maps, gorgeous. Some serious artwork on display. These aren't just levels, they're works of art and works of da Vinci-level invention - From traps and secrets to simply amazing use of texture and lighting, space and sometimes the specific lack of it... Every level has something to offer, something that makes an observer like me lap it up like it's all-you-can-drink happy hour!

The skills being shown, nothing short of amazing. From the previously referenced Jet-Li Jump to the skilful weaving in and out of a horde of Barons... Grabs, perfectly-timed weapon switches, awesome run-by (I'd say drive-by but Doomguy doesn't roll like that) blastings... And some seriously deserved rocket-surgery facectomies for those monsters who deal out a little more damage than their quota.

The suspenseful bits, keeping me on the edge of my chair as I watch health and armor melting away under heavy fire or a sludge trudge. The barest scraping by with minimal health, no ammo... Or both!

Absolutely brilliant all round. While I myself don't have those skills, I can sure appreciate seeing them in action!

Keep up the amazing work, guys; if I wasn't so sucked in by it, I'd be jealous :) :)

dew said:

that invul grab couldn't have been tighter. the arch blast would probably be lethal. :)

Indeed. 1/10th of a second slower and I probably would have had another failed run on my hands there.

More of map14 getting the beatdown by me today. This time it's a UV-fast in 5:55. The route is really not too much different compared to normal UV-Max (One minor change up at the start), but pulling it off is a completely different story.

Also some tense moments after I leave the BFG secret room.

sd14f555.zip

dew said:

map19 uv-speed in 0:32

this took me a really long time to get right...

:D

Did a UV-Max for map 21 in 6:26. Oh god why so many archies in the first couple of minutes? Those first two archies are never my friends half the time here.

Could go another 10-15 seconds quicker at least.

3rd episode is filling up nicely here. Just maps 25,26, and 29 are left that need a UV-Max done for them.

sd21-626.zip

Map 25 UV-Max here done this morning. Clear time is 8:45. Merely a table filler for now because there's an archie jump to get the BFG much earlier than I would expect was intended that I didn't discover until after I finished the run. Should be no problem to shave off a minute if not more from the time.

I'll try to get around to recording an improved run this weekend if nobody else does by that time.

sd25-845.zip

Anima, I have yet to watch the sd25, but... Really nice job on map 21, you make it look easy on a darn tough map. !!WOW!!

Anima Zero said:

Oh god why so many archies in the first couple of minutes? Those first two archies are never my friends half the time here.

:3 :3 :3

If I could change the map, I would definitely have made some parts easier, but oh well, the evil map stays evil. :P Still, nice demos! Hopefully someone can do a tyson on Map21 :P.

And now the improvement for map 25 I just did a little while ago utilizing the archie jump for an early BFG and releasing mobs earlier too.

Time is 7:55. Pretty sure this can go 10-20 seconds lower, if not more, if that cybie wasn't prone to being a royal douche here (And if I hadn't realize it can shoot you as it's coming up from the floor in some of my failed runs).

sd25-755.zip

Easily not surprised at how there's not a Map29 demo being recorded yet. Random deaths happens just about everywhere you go. Guess I'll wait a few weeks and then I'll see if I can get a decent run out of that map.

Map 26 gets a UV-Max today. Time for my run comes to 13:42. Sub 13 oughta be possible with more daring play.

Other than that...feel free to guess or place bets on how close that soulsphere grab was at the final battle when I was low on health. I think it's an even closer call than my invul. sphere grab in my 4:48 map14 maxdemo.

sd261342.zip

Finally...this should be the last episode 3 map needing a UV-Max, map29. Clear time for my run is 11:49. Certainly could be quicker, but honestly, I was more focused on exiting and making sure I didn't die because oh wow crazy difficulty.

Also Joshy is a sadistic critter for how the beginning is setup. Thanks :P.

sd291149.zip

Hee hee.

Anima Zero said:

I assume the bars that raise via a nearby switch can't be opened from the other side manually

I'm assuming you're talking about the bars between the red key and the switch that lowers the red key? The bars can indeed be opened from behind apart from the baron switch.

Still, nice demo!

Joshy said:

Hee hee.

I'm assuming you're talking about the bars between the red key and the switch that lowers the red key? The bars can indeed be opened from behind apart from the baron switch.

Still, nice demo!

Good to know before I started recording today. After some unexpected hiccups (I should really make sure to close out that box that opens after exiting GLBoom Plus each time and not lose demos to forgetting that), I scored a pretty solid UV-Max improvement for map29. Time is 8:46. Calling this one very good and probably the last one I do for the level.

sd29-846.zip

(I should really make sure to close out that box that opens after exiting GLBoom Plus each time and not lose demos to forgetting that)

If you're talking about the endoom screen, you can turn it off by enabling the fast exit option (options -> general -> second page, misc -> fast exit) or setting misc_fastexit to 1 in the CFG.