Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Whoo

TNT 2: Devilution (Texture Pack in OP)

You don't need a dedicated launcher for each port. You can use CDL or ZDL or some other generic launcher with ChocoDoom.

Gez said:

You don't need a dedicated launcher for each port. You can use CDL or ZDL or some other generic launcher with ChocoDoom.

Oh well... Look at that. No I don't need a launcher for each port, I just find it simpler and easier rather then writing a .bat file thats half reliable. Plus most of the time I just drag and drop Wads into a executable, but Chocolate Doom is refusing this method of mine.

However its working alot better then the batch so I'm good

EmZee712 said:

Plus most of the time I just drag and drop Wads into a executable, but Chocolate Doom is refusing this method of mine.

This is because when you drag and drop a file, what happens behind the scene is the equivalent of this:
chocolate-doom.exe somewad.wad

Whereas ChocoDoom wants this:
chocolate-doom.exe -file somewad.wad

Drag and drop does not fill in the correct parameters, it just gives it the list of files you've dragged and dropped.

You could make yourself a chocobatch.bat file which would contain this:
chocolate-doom.exe -file %*

Then you could drag and drop over the batch file. It'll be good enough for any mod that does not require to also use -deh, -merge, or similar options.

Now pops up another issue with my maps, when I run them with ChocoDoom the program then runs out of VisPlanes. Raising this next question, is there a limit to how big a map can be in Vanilla?

Yes, there are a lot of limits. You can search for something called ChocoRenderLimits, which has increased limits compared to vanilla, but will warn you when you step beyond vanilla limits.

Whoo said:

Nice idea, but when we eventually get a texture artist I'll have them make a "damaged" version of the face.

Transparent midtextures can help a lot to make the wounds and holes look less rectangular.

Whoo said:

Looking nice Kyka! Just remember to fill up those big empty rooms.

Thanks Whoo. Yeah, still a work in progress, the mapping is not far off finished now tho. Thanks for the feedback. I find it funny that someone is telling me of all people to put more detail into my levels. I have gone from too overdetailed to too underdetailed. o_0 Still getting my head around having so many limits everywhere now.
What were they thinking back then?

lol, probably they were thinking 'this has to run on a 386.'

but when we eventually get a texture artist I'll have them make a "damaged" version of the face.

Texture artist eh? Nice. It would be good to see the TNT logo used in a way that doesn't totally suck. I would like to throw around the TNT thing a little bit more in my level, but all except the one on the SHAWN background looks too terrible to use.

Nuxius said:

Use Chocorenderlimits:

Thanks Nux, this was just the thing. Now that I know where the limits are, I can get back to overdetailing everything that moves. :D (joking). Rather than writing batch files and all that guff, I just use this to test the map directly from DB2, which works perfectly. Nice and simple.

Good to known you are still working on this, because these several levels in Renascence wasn't enough and I am tired off Plutonia/HR style maps (except PL2). Icarus also was good but too random and Daedalus is not even like Evilution, completely different thing. Looking forwad to see more chimera-like (Evilution style) maps.

Renascence was the one that created maps based on the original ones, but made them bigger, nicer and a bit more interesting. I suppose this project doesn't do the same. Okay, there will be some references to the original Evilution, but still, it's rather a "sequel" or something.

As for Renascence, I found it so great that I was disappointed MAP12-MAP32 wasn't made. Maybe will. I laughed at the reviews, where angry people were arguing over the spelling of "Renascence". That part was funny for me.

Cell said:
As for Renascence, I found it so great that I was disappointed MAP12-MAP32 wasn't made. [/B]

I thought they were planning on remaking all 32 levels eventually.

Correct me if I am wrong here anyone, but I am pretty sure that 'they' is actually 'he'.

Kyka said:

Correct me if I am wrong here anyone, but I am pretty sure that 'they' is actually 'he'.

Author : Alexander "Eternal" S. (map10 by Dragon Hunter)

Thanks Twinzen. I knew it was something like that. :)

Also.... newest screenie. This map is nearly finished now. I am thinking of calling it the totally unoriginal "Mill II," or something equally awesome.

Aesthetically, I totally agree Gez. But given that this is a TNT remake, sometimes I would sacrifice a little aesthetics (though not too much) to better capture that TNT 'feel'.

Thoughts?

First one with the red sky probably looks the best, though this sky assumes that this level wands up in the last third of the levels (21 and up) and that those levels have a red sky in them.

Whoo said:

Actually its a sequel. The other TNT project was a remake.

Heh. That is actually what I meant. Oops.

I like this one the best, but chances are that there are going to be different skies.

Totally agree. Either this or the original lava one.

Kyka said:

I suppose the lava one looks a bit... unreal. Even if original DooM has something like that in (E3M3). The red sky one looks way better, especially with those metal wires between the squares.

So from one map to another, I immediately dived right into this one and right now it is finished and awaiting a MIDI file.

Kyka said:

I actually think the original lava one captures Mill a lot more than the sky. Something about the way those lights are hanging in the sky bothers me. What about something like SLIME09 or one of the RROCK flats?

EmZee712 said:

So from one map to another, I immediately dived right into this one and right now it is finished and awaiting a MIDI file.

Make sure to post your maps on the forum. I'll notify the MIDI Composers that there are several maps that are in need of a MIDI track. I'm also liking the style of your map. Try to make the outside areas brighter though.

Whoo said:

Make sure to post your maps on the forum. I'll notify the MIDI Composers that there are several maps that are in need of a MIDI track. I'm also liking the style of your map. Try to make the outside areas brighter though.

Sorry, this map is meant to have the Night Sky, thats why the outside is so dark... I just didn't manually change the map skies because I wanted to make sure it can still be played Vanilla style so I can test it

Thanks everyone for your input re: that ceiling. :)

Snakes said:

I actually think the original lava one captures Mill a lot more than the sky. Something about the way those lights are hanging in the sky bothers me. What about something like SLIME09 or one of the RROCK flats?

From a purely aesthetic view, the red sky one actually looks the best imo, but thinking about it for the last day or so, I agree with this. The lava ceiling comes closest to capturing that intangible 'TNT' feel.

@EmZee712. I really like the look of that new map. What is that Startan-looking texture on the walls in the first screenie?

Kyka said:

What is that Startan-looking texture on the walls in the first screenie?

I believe it's a new texture by esselfortium. Or at least it looks like it :)

Nice shots overall, guys. This project is really interesting ;)

Kyka said:

(...) Startan-looking texture on the walls in the first screenie?

Seems to be from Freedoom, but whatever. Maybe the Revilution team has already a texture artist.

It's not mine, and it's not from Freedoom either. :P

It's a BROWN96-based version of STARTAN that was created by someone in a Doomworld thread a while back; I think by 40oz.