Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dannebubinga

Danne's E1 is on /idgames

I posted 3 maps in this thread in 2010 and kind of promised to make a full E1 replacement. And now it's time! But don't expect anything spectacular...

WH-Wilou and Phml was kind enough to test it out for me so I could finally post a link to the wad here without any crucial mapping flaws.

Some info:

Started working on this in 2009 and made the last map (e1m9) last week. So there is a super big difference in detail and design from the early maps to the later ones, which could be cool. It shows how I have evolved from noob E1 rip-off to detail nerdy slaughter mapper (I've left out the slaughter here though).

It's vanilla compatible. So use any port you want.

Skill levels implemented but not so thouroughly playtested as UV.

Coop starts but no testing done, nor additional stuff for coop.

Here's the final version:/idgames

The same old screenshots apply:

http://i56.tinypic.com/119r09g.png
http://i52.tinypic.com/z2zv4.png
http://i51.tinypic.com/2cm5a9.png
http://i52.tinypic.com/2ymblu0.png
http://i52.tinypic.com/33eswzo.png
http://i56.tinypic.com/2zywjed.png

You should probably post some screenshots, and try to keep your project to one thread.

I played through it in prboom, it had a few meh spots (like the starting room)- but overall it was nice looking. It does have a lot of bugs though, and towards the end it broke completely. Are you sue you're not using anything zdoom specific?

You should also remove the chainguns, its completely unnecessary to have two chainguns in the starting area. You have some cool secret areas in the map where you could place one- it would make it a little more difficult.

That was a really good map. I used ZDoom, and nothing broke for me, tho this doesn't mean all that much.

Only a couple of minor things that I noticed, texture alignments, but I ain't gonna mention them coz even they added to the classic feel of the level. There is probably a few too many 'poison' signs in the area in the third screenie below.

I agree with bgraybr and the chaingun suggestion, though this will possibly mean modifying the demon traps at the start of the level.

More!

Also, screenies.

bgraybr said:

You should probably post some screenshots, and try to keep your project to one thread.

I played through it in prboom, it had a few meh spots (like the starting room)- but overall it was nice looking. It does have a lot of bugs though, and towards the end it broke completely. Are you sue you're not using anything zdoom specific?

You should also remove the chainguns, its completely unnecessary to have two chainguns in the starting area. You have some cool secret areas in the map where you could place one- it would make it a little more difficult.

How did it broke?

One thing that I have noticed is that when I use chocodoom or chocorenderlimits my game crashes when I step outside (to a sky texture). I have added the sky2 texture from TNT to my wad. But in the version I uploaded I didn't use the TNT sky2 texture, nor custom music. When I use the original sky texture everything works fine. But when I use tnt's sky the game crashes in choco.

I think this is a great map. It's difficult, it's aesthetically pleasing, etc.

My only real complaints (Keep in mind I've only played this WAD about twice) are that:

1. Nukage area has way too many poison signs.
2. The door to the blue key room could use a different texture. I don't know about anyone else's opinion, but it just doesn't look right IMO.

Other than that, I'm impressed.

Thank you so much for the kind words! It really helps me to continue mapping.

I still need help with mapping and testing. I want to make this a 9 map replacement. But it will take years for me to make this alone hehe. Please PM me if you want to contribute in any way.

Stuning! Looks even more great than I've expected!

Cell said:

Stuning! Looks even more great than I've expected!

Thank you very much!

I just realized I've spent several days working on a map that totally goes beyond 256 SEG and HOM's in chocodoom. I'm pretty pissed of at myself atm for not testing my maps in chocorender limits regularly.

dannebubinga said:

Check the OP for info about the project.

The what?

Anyways, forgot to mention that this E1 contains alot of E2 textures. Not really a problem, just mentioned.

have an hour on your hands?

like watching terrible demos?

If you answered yes to both of these questions, this fda may be exactly what you're looking for!

So yeah, played e1m1-e1m8 without deaths. to make it a true e1 experience I played keyboard only (I was also too lazy to get out of bed and play at a desk, btw I'm a terrible keyboarder). Maps were pretty fun. I noticed a distinct stylistic difference starting at e1m7, all of a sudden the maps turned clean and more organized, less wonky id-style hallways and such.

m6-m8 felt the strongest to me, but that's probably because that's when you decided to ratchet the difficulty up a bit :)

Cool, not a bad set of maps. Maybe a bit linear in places in comparison to original doom e1 but entertaining nonetheless.

Here's a bunch of demos
http://www.mediafire.com/?olayny46hjzc68c
all FDAs apart from e1m9 which killed me a few times (was having too much fun with the chainsaw)

Didn't notice any bugs playing on prboom+

Fucking awesome, I'm definitely going to download this and play it hopefully soon (after I finish my Warlords 3 playthrough), because your one of my favorite mappers. :)

Thanks for the FDA's. I spotted some stuff I need to take care of!

Memfis: No worries! I started to wonder why you never got back to me like... 2 months after we first spoke, but I figured you just changed your mind so I did it myself heh ;)

Death: Hah! Don't expect any spectacular stuff from these maps. :P Thanks anyway!

dannebubinga said:

I never intended to copy romero's E1 style so the E2 textures is no problem what so ever.

Being a "naturalist" E1 mapper doesn't mean to copy Romero's style. Someday I'll introduce you Doomep47's E1M7, which has no FLAT8, FLAT9, FLOOR0_2, COMPOHSO, METAL* or anything else, but still huge and is able to play and walk around.

Anyways, finished with it. Sometimes the E2 nitpicks were rather constructive (the E1M4 RL secret was just fantastic), and the ideas were cool and original. However, the aesthetics all over needs a decision, because the mapset has stuck between plainness and over-aesthetism, with having both of them at the same time, thus rendering some more meticulous players mindblown. Indeed, progressing ahead shows the progression of your mapping skills aswell, but in quite an "arrogant" way. And the real eye-piercing problem is that most doors that are set up diagonally (anything else than orthogonal, to be more precise) are not given a separate ceiling distinguishing them from the surrounding ones, giving me an immediate and intense inducement of vomiting. If FLAT20 doesn't fit your taste in case of cutting the 8x8 tiles of it, try FLAT23, that suits better.

Looks good by the screens. I'll do some recording and post one or two along with the playlist when it's done.

Cell: I have never, ever claimed to be a naturalist E1 mapper :P It sounds like something I would despise.

I think I get what you're saying, but I don't feel any need to change anything when it comes to design or layout. It shows my progression and that's that. I'll consider changing the ceiling flats on the doors though.

j4rio said:

danne's megawad.

It took me 10 months to make 7 maps for cs2. You do the math :/