Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
purist

Progressive Fiction (Hadephobia now on /idgames)

Okay, everybody, I started to make MAP01. The start was a bit hard, but I hope, you'll like my map :)

The story is the next:
In the year 21XX, a marine from UAC entered in an unknown structure in the middle of the magmatic fields. (MAP01 name will be similar: Magmatic or something other, I don't know yet)

Union Aerospace Corporation discovered a big magmatic place in the planet (which colonizated by UAC), which they didn't see previously. They sent many scout units, but no one returns. They have not any information about this place.
However, one day they found a big brick structure in the middle of the magmatic fields and sent his best spec ops marine (who is the player itself) to discover this ancient building.

They believed, the building is empty. But not...definitely not...

Any other points of the story is your work :) however, if you want to know other point of the story, I can write that.

Well, I'm kinda curious what I have to continue from then.
The magmatic level idea doesn't sound bad, however, I have kinda feeling that this project should start like another "normal" D2 wads. You know, I mean the hi-tech base thing or something like that.
But if you want to do in this way, I won't stop you!

Cell, you're right! Also, I had some time to think again about the story and it's not a good start... I changed the story and the level. I hope it's not a big problem :) it was my mistake, because I didn't think it this all thing enogh...

So the new story:

Since the marine beat hell on Phobos and Deimos, humanity has trouble many times, due the UAC irresponsible experiments. In the late of the 25th century, an other marine explored: the next attack from hell is near. He warn his bosses, but UAC though, he's paranoid and sent him to a mental hospital. He spend 2 weeks, closed in a small cell.

But one morning, everything was silent. The marine woke up...

...and this is the start of the first level: a hospital.

Well, what do you think about the new story?

I'm sure we can work with that Katamori. Will you have enough time to finish a hospital map before Monday? It doesn't have to be big. Maybe just the asylum.

When you've finished your map you'll have to write more story. What does the player discover during your map? Where is he going next? What is his objective?

purist said:

What does the player discover during your map? Where is he going next? What is his objective?

I thought it's trivial :) but as I see, not.

Firstly, the player starts to fight for survive, and then he goes to defeat hell's army - again, like Doom and Doom 2.

It's a really simple story, but it should be interesting with the progressive style :)

Oh, and what's the next level? Cell will decide, when he see my map. I try to finish for Monday. I don't want to make disappointment for the other mappers

I mean where does he go next literally. Where does your map end? Does he leave the hospital, does he move to another part of the hospital? Remember the end of your map will be the start of Cell's map so the story should be the same.

It might help to think of it like a chapter in a book. You tell your part but you give a clue of what might happen next.

Oh, I'm understand... well, the end of the map is a lift. I don't know yet, where goes the next way, but my first imagine was the street, so it's a kind of exit from the building. A main hall, an entrance needs for the hospital.

Anything other?

Well it's up to you. The fact that it ends in a lift and the direction it goes (up or down) is enough for Cell.

Maybe Cell will start the next map on the street, the hospital roof, the basement or perhaps the lift gets stuck and Doomguy must escape between floors or in the elevator shaft itself. Maybe the hospital is not even on a street but part of a spaceship or techbase. This will be for Cell to decide.

Don't worry too much about the grammar/spelling in your story by the way. I will work with you to edit it. You can concentrate on the map now - I'm looking forward to seeing it.

Okay :) thanks for helping and sorry for my lameness.

This level will be better, than the original plan, but maybe a bit short (like Entryway)

No problem. I think it's right that the levels start small anyway.

Also, I forgot to say. Please put your finished story in a text file and zip it up with the WAD before you upload or send it to me. It will be useful to keep them both together.

Purist, just one more question: in what format am I supposed to do the maps?

OK, I didn't notice that it is also written there. Well...
I've got all five or six variants of stories how to continue the story that Katamori have begun. Three for the lift and three for the hospital exit one. Depends on him whether he wants to end his piece of story in this or that way.

Sounds cool, but if it's the case, secret exit-hunters won't be able to decide which path to follow...

I think if this project has some secret levels then it should be like that scene in Monty Python's Life of Brian where he falls off of the tower onto a spaceship and briefly ends up in a ridiculous space battle before ending up back where he left off with no consequence. Throw continuity aside and do something really stupid that ultimately goes nowhere.

Eh... the major feature is continuity, so we SHOULDN'T throw that aside even for secret levels. Maybe for a silly MAP33, but I'd prefer just ignoring this idea...

If you have a cool idea for the secret exit make sure you call MAP15 when the slot arises. At the moment we're only claimed up to MAP09 and mapped up to MAP02 so it's not an immediate issue. Vaporizer's idea is cool though.

Katamori's map is finished. Cell - here is the alpha version http://www.mediafire.com/?4a1vchce536vtom. I have made some minor tweaks and will update the link when I get home but you can use this as a start for your map. Please use .zip when you upload your map & story .txt file. .RAR was OK this time but I only have WinRAR on trial.

So, should I make the second map into the WAD itself?
Anyway, getting WinRAR on full is not so difficult... nobody cares about piratism especially if premium order is in the way of such a community. The other way, ask Katamori not to make .RAR, but .ZIP folders next time.

About the map itself:
Not bad at all, I really enjoyed playing it. But there are quite a few problems with it.
1. The pinkydemons have not enough space to get into the teleporter and ambush you
2. Yellow key door lacks its signing
3. I wouldn't count it as a mistake, but there are quite a lot medikits - no wonder, it's a hospital. But why don't you put some of them in one of the toilets instead? They were empty and made no sense to visit 'em, apart from those 2 Lost Souls to kill.
And some suggestions then:
1. One of the switches in the elevator ending sector must be "flipped". I suggest the one which does nothing but just exists there.
2. I wouldn't mind a secret in one of the toilets. I suggest a berserk pack or a chainsaw there.
3. It seems to be that the B sign on the floor is actually not supposed to be on the ceiling, too. My advise is to make the ceiling height high, high upside - maybe an 1024 does the trick. And it wouldn't bother you that it lacks its upper texture. That's why the light is "fakely just on the floor, but not on the ceiling". The method itself was taken from WOW.wad, used by several mappers where the missing lower texture was overlapped by the flat texture which edges it.

No, please make your level as a seperate .WAD Cell. I will compile them later. Please compress as a .zip rather than a .rar. I'd rather not use WinRAR after the expiration if it's against the license (I don't know if it is or isn't and this thread it not the place for that discussion. If you cannot .zip for any reason let me know and we'll something out)

On your problems/suggestions with MAP01:

1. I missed the Demon ambush but wondered why I never got 100% kills. I'll fix this for Katamori.

2. I have already fixed this and some other minor things (marked exit, pegged doortrack, added co-op starts). But I haven't uploaded the fixed version yet.

3. I also noted the excess of medikits and lack of secrets to Katamori but identified it as non-critical as the map is supposed to be easy anyway. Since you also mention it I will add a small secret area and move one or 2 of the medikits to it. I hope Katamori does not mind.

Suggestion 1/3: I agree and they are simple changes so I will do these. Again, I hope Katamori will let me know if he opposes this but I'm sure he'll be cool about it.

The only other changes to make are with the story. I am keeping with Katamori's story but am re-writing it to improve grammar, put it in third-person perspective and beef it up with a bit more detail. Katamori wanted advice on the name Escape from the Asylum. What do you think? I'll suggest the alternatives Self Discharged or Out-Patient as slightly more snappy variants but I'm happy to use his original if it gets the consensus.

I'll upload all this and post a new link tonight if I get chance but if not it will probably be tomorrow night. Either way I think Cell has everything he needs to start MAP02.

As the exiting room is supposed to have no changes anymore, here's my piece of story:
"Doomguy got into the elevator and pressed the button "down", but... the hellspawn were around and proved to be catchier than him. They made their way into the elevator shaft, sawed its rodes and made it fall 9 floors down into the hospital's cellar. Luckily, Doomguy had participated in survival trainigs before, so he was able to survive.
The cellar itself was dark and creepy. As all of the doors to the ground floor are locked, the only way is through the sewers..."

I don't mind nothing, if the level will be better :)
everything had reason, which I made :) but I didn't know about the pinky problem, I forgot to test

See link for updated MAP01 download:

http://www.hellbent.iwarp.com/box_widget.html

I will update the details on the second post too.

Katamori - please download and see if you are happy with the changes. They are small so I think you will be happy. See if you can find the secret too! Also the final ambush is a bit trickier (demons now teleport correctly) so the map is slightly harder than before.

Cell - also please download. I don't think the changes in the map will affect your map but the story might. Katamori's story now ends with the elevator moving so you should start at this point (remove the first line about getting into the elevator and hitting "down" as it just repeats). Please also change your format to third person present tense (i.e. luckily you had participated in survival training and so you are able to survive). This is so the story format is consistent. Finally, when you have pretty much finished your map you will need to add to your story to briefly cover anything the player would have encountered during the level that is either interesting or progresses the story (no big spoilers though) and ending with the end of the level, where he is planning on going next and why.