Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
entryway

Broken statusbar graphics

Quasar said:

What the hell? o_O

Here's why I'm frustrated with the whole caching scheme >_>

You mean the stuff that tries to only redraw the parts of the status bar that need redrawing?

When I redid the status bar and HUD code in rboom I removed difference drawing entirely. I felt a bit bad about taking a sledgehammer to a surgery but that was four years ago and since then I have not noticed any performance loss that was enough to care about.

In short I think on modern systems you can just redraw the status bar every frame and forget about it.

RjY said:

You mean the stuff that tries to only redraw the parts of the status bar that need redrawing?

When I redid the status bar and HUD code in rboom I removed difference drawing entirely. I felt a bit bad about taking a sledgehammer to a surgery but that was four years ago and since then I have not noticed any performance loss that was enough to care about.

In short I think on modern systems you can just redraw the status bar every frame and forget about it.

Yeah, EE already does this in Heretic and doesn't seem to suffer. Oh no, I might lose ~5 ms of time :P It's probably at least partially made up for by simplification of the logic, memory savings by not having to allocate an entire extra screen buffer, and better cache performance by not having to copy this junk between a bunch of buffers.

Csonicgo said:

5 ms is a big hit on high resolutions. I say make it an option we can toggle.

The likelihood of that happening is not just zero, I'd say it's somewhere on the imaginary axis.

Oh, I'm glad I noticed this thread. I've been having an issue with the statusbar as well. It's the one I'm currently using for Vela Pax, though the only thing that separates it from the original (besides the new graphics) is that it uses some transparent patches for the empty weapon slots. Here, some shots will probably show it off better:

http://mekworx.phenomer.net/mekastuff/pics/screenshots/vela%20pax/etrn01.jpg (with just the pistol/fist)
http://mekworx.phenomer.net/mekastuff/pics/screenshots/vela%20pax/etrn02.jpg (all weapons)

So for some reason it draws some colored boxes in the slots that don't have weapons. And it looks like those boxes stay even when you do have those weapon slots filled. I don't think it's something I'm doing wrong because it works fine in PRBoom+/(G)ZDoom. Maybe it's related to the issue entryway pointed out?

*edit*

Actually, I think I just now figured out what's going on. Those boxes are actually part of the "frags" patch...or I guess how it works is that the weapon slot is drawn over the frags slot. So those boxes are drawing through the weapon slot patch and showing the frags slot that's underneath...or something like that.

It's probably somehow copying data from the wrong screen. Either way, I'm probably just going to tear out all the caching nonsense, so this problem should go away.

Here's some speed comparisons done with ZDoom that compared cached and uncached performance. It doesn't seem to matter much on relatively modern systems. On the other hand the caching sure caused some not so nice problems.