Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Captain Toenail

Hairy Imps

Imps being furry doesn't make then less scary to me at least, any more than an angry grizzly bear having fur somehow makes it less scary.

magicsofa said:

They are throwing fireballs so they must be imps or barons, and considering their numbers and the fact that its doom 1, it would make sense for them to be imps.

Though I gotta say, I always thought they were Barons myself. Even though there was never that many Barons in the one place anywhere in the original Doom, they do all have horns on their heads, and the do bleed green blood, and lets face it, Doom box art has regularly taken liberties from the game itself.

magicsofa said:

They are throwing fireballs so they must be imps or barons

Heh, id couldn't have made that box cover more misleading if they tried. There's only one throwing a "fireball" (which looks nothing like an imp fireball or baron plasma) and was probably thrown in as an afterthought, judging by the weird posture and forced curving, as well as the neutral white translucent color.

magicsofa said:

and considering their numbers and the fact that its doom 1, it would make sense for them to be imps.

Ironically, there's not a single spot in Doom where you can be literally surrounded by that many imps. Maybe facing a bunch of them mixed with zombies and other stuff, but not swarmed (this ain't no HR). On the other hand... Fortress of Mystery, anyone?

And for the rest those monsters look closer to Barons, within the artwork's genericity. And that's our problem right there: probably they're just generic "horned devils", and of all of Doom's monsters those closer to the sterotype are Barons, Knights and even the Cyberdemon. Imps don't even have the stereotypical horns and goat-like appearance. Hell, even pinkies arguably look closer to those "devils" than imps.

Kyka said:

Imps being furry doesn't make then less scary to me at least, any more than an angry grizzly bear having fur somehow makes it less scary.

Yeah but if you were confronted by a bear without fur, it'd probably be more scary, right? :)

OK, to understand, does anyone perceive that an eventual injury or even death at the hands of an imp will somehow be less manly/honorable depending on the imp's (alleged) hirsutism, or lack thereof, as well as the implications about the imp's and/or player's level of hormones, virility etc?

Because from all that preoccupation with the argument it sure does seem like it.

Hairy imps is just a stupid idea, that's all.

magicsofa said:
They are throwing fireballs so they must be imps or barons, and considering their numbers and the fact that its doom 1, it would make sense for them to be imps.

The drawing apparently predates or is independent of the sprites, so they are generic "demons" which in turn influenced the monsters in the first part of the game or followed their same basic concept or idea. There's some relation, but it's relatively vague. The DOOM II title screen, on the other hand, includes a monster based on one of the sprites, as they had by then been well-established.

myk said:

The drawing apparently predates or is independent of the sprites, so they are generic "demons" which in turn influenced the monsters in the first part of the game or followed their same basic concept or idea. There's some relation, but it's relatively vague. The DOOM II title screen, on the other hand, includes a monster based on one of the sprites, as they had by then been well-established.

Then why did they put a flamethrower on the Doom II boxart? It was completely misleading.

Snakes said:

Because it wasn't a flamethrower. It was a shotgun.

O_O D:

The always thought that the ammo belt was a hose, and that the muzzle flash looked like a flame... if the gun is firing, shouldn't there be a blood puff or something on the cyberdemon?

It's very easy to see stuff that ain't there ;-)

For example, check out the good old Doom I titlepic (as it appears in game, not in any boxes) and look carefully to the bottom left of Doombuy, where the Baron is:

Looks like some sort of previously unknown, flat-headed, bullfrog like stubby demon, right? Like a Pinky midget or something.

or maybe not:

If you see the WHOLE pic carefully then you realize it's just some poor space marine bastard being raped by a Baron.

There's definitively a chewing pinky to the right of Doomguy however, although it's hard to see if it's chewing on anything other than the background.

The pinky in the doom titlepic actually seems to be chewing on a marine in the middle of being gibbed. you can see the rifle and the head if you look closely.

bgraybr said:

O_O D:

The always thought that the ammo belt was a hose, and that the muzzle flash looked like a flame... if the gun is firing, shouldn't there be a blood puff or something on the cyberdemon?

The TITLEPIC is insinuating that the doomguy is a retard and gets backed into a corner by a cyberdemon and misses his shot at point blank range. It's supposed to instigate you to do better than his sorry ass is doing.

Then again you can read it all in a more positive light and say that he's about to deal the finishing blow to a raging, injured cyberdemon, in a defining, End All Be All moment of Epic Glory!!!

Or more symbolically, as in that it's simply an "Us vs Them" symbolism.

Or both of the above.

In comparison, the TNT and Plutonia Experiment titlepics look like a turd.

The TNT one is especially hideous. Ah, the nineties and their lousy ray-traced pictures, lovingly rendered over a two-day monopolization of the computer by POVRay (remember: DOS had no multitasking), and ending up fucked up because you put a typo in the coordinates of some object somewhere.

Then when you did get your fantastic picture of a spaceship made up of a cylinder and four other cylinders, with a few balls to make planets, you go on to destroy it entirely by a botched conversion to the Doom palette. Yay!

The Plutonia one is pretty cheap, too; but at least they didn't try to represent a spaceship or what-have-you, just a flat plane, some letters, and a sky. And with their choice of texture they avoided the problem of palette conversion, too.

Technician said:

http://trooperworld.wdfiles.com/local--files/borean-hairless-bear/the-hairless-bear.jpg
No.

Certainly is more disgusting.

kristus said:

Certainly is more disgusting.

Remove its lower jaw, have it walk on two feet and it would freak the shit out of you anyday.

Maes said:

Remove its lower jaw, have it walk on two feet and it would freak the shit out of you anyday.

I don't get why some people use the bathroom when scared. It has never happened to me and I was pretty scared then. However my friend got scared and it happened to him.

GhostlyDeath said:

I don't get why some people use the bathroom when scared. It has never happened to me and I was pretty scared then. However my friend got scared and it happened to him.

It's supposedly a physiological response/instinct to empty your bladder/bowels/stomach when faced with extreme danger you have to flee away from in order to be lighter . A lot of animals do it, in some form, except maybe top predators. But I'm digressing.

This whole hairy imps story has disturbing furry implications. Are there really people who'd rather the imps having a velvet-like, short fur? :-S Because I sure can imagine some furries masturbating furiously to the idea and crafting imp costumes from brown velvet...

Gez said:

The TNT one is especially hideous. Ah, the nineties and their lousy ray-traced pictures, lovingly rendered over a two-day monopolization of the computer by POVRay (remember: DOS had no multitasking), and ending up fucked up because you put a typo in the coordinates of some object somewhere.

Then when you did get your fantastic picture of a spaceship made up of a cylinder and four other cylinders, with a few balls to make planets, you go on to destroy it entirely by a botched conversion to the Doom palette. Yay!

You should've seen the TNT beta's titlepic -- Doomguy from the Episode IV end picture, with the shotgun from the Doom 1 titlepic pasted in place of the bunny's head, with "Evilution" in a lovely chancery typeface over top. :)

I've always seen imps to have brown skin.

Also, I don't know what you saw in the TITLEPIC but all I see is the mountain where your "stubby micro demon" is.

Maes said:

This whole hairy imps story has disturbing furry implications. Are there really people who'd rather the imps having a velvet-like, short fur? :-S Because I sure can imagine some furries masturbating furiously to the idea and crafting imp costumes from brown velvet...

I don't care what you or other's do in your spare time (sexually), just don't tell me about it.

GhostlyDeath said:

Also, I don't know what you saw in the TITLEPIC but all I see is the mountain where your "stubby micro demon" is.

So you don't even see the dying doomguy in the zoomed-out version? Basically the torso of said dying doomguy is the micro demon -too lazy to draw outlines or cater to the needs of the colorblind-.

GhostlyDeath said:

I don't care what you or other's do in your spare time (sexually), just don't tell me about it.

We can't even fantasize about what others might be doing in their spare time (supposedly)? When do I have to click my heels in approval?

Didn't the Doom manual or something once ask "Where did these brown, furry bastards come from?"

I only remember the "Where did these brown bastards come from?" part, no mention of "furry" was in the manual to my knowledge.

"You thought an imp was a cute little dude in a red suit with a pitchfork. Where did these brown bastards come from? They heave balls o' fire down your throat and take several bullets to die. It's time to find a weapon better than that pistol if you're going to face more than one of these S.O.B.s."

Maes said:

So you don't even see the dying doomguy in the zoomed-out version? Basically the torso of said dying doomguy is the micro demon -too lazy to draw outlines or cater to the needs of the colorblind-.

The dying doom guy is completely obvious, I thought you were talking about some thing between the barons legs but that's just the mountain. The dying doom guy is so obvious in fact I had to look in the picture of what you were talking about and completely ignored the doom guy and concentrated where the barons legs were to try to find something but I didn't find anything so I then assumed that was what you were talking about. When I first played the game as a kid I knew it was a dying doom guy (well I didn't know it was the doom guy but I knew it was a soldier dying until I saw what the doom guy looked like when he died when viewing the Doom 2 ending, hell as a kid I even acted as the Doom guy, you should see my evil grin).