Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mr. Freeze

Stronghold question

So I finally downloaded Stronghold (fuck off), and I had a good time blasting monster waves. After unlocking Tier 2, I ran into a massive problem: the framerate was murdered.

It wasn't so much Frames Per Second as it was Seconds Per Frame. I tried resizing my Skulltag resolution, no success. I even turned off textures, no success.

Has anyone experienced the same problem or similar? It's frustrating as hell, especially since I was looking forward to it for quite a while.

Your mileage may vary, but with my video card I found that disabling the GZDoom setting "Use Shaders for Colormaps" resulted in huge framerate increases for every map that was giving me performance problems, with no visible difference that I could see in the quality of the rendering.

esselfortium said:

Your mileage may vary, but with my video card I found that disabling the GZDoom setting "Use Shaders for Colormaps" resulted in huge framerate increases for every map that was giving me performance problems, with no visible difference that I could see in the quality of the rendering.

Tried it, no avail.

Yes I had frame rate issues throughout the mod. The best solution I found was to turn off dynamic lighting (or whatever it's called) and IDBEHOLDL it when i needed to see. Good luck - I never could finish the mod because the last few levels were unplayable due to framerate issues.

NT

NaturalTvventy said:

Yes I had frame rate issues throughout the mod. The best solution I found was to turn off dynamic lighting (or whatever it's called) and IDBEHOLDL it when i needed to see. Good luck - I never could finish the mod because the last few levels were unplayable due to framerate issues.

NT

And to think that this was a 6-year effort.

This is just bullshit. My laptop can run CS:Source perfectly, yet a fucking Doom mod destroys it.

So because it took so long, you expected it to be optimized for play on a 386?

It's a laughable reason to say a game or mod sucks because your computer isn't fast enough.

Vermil said:

It's a laughable reason to say a game or mod sucks because your computer isn't fast enough.

Nice try, but I didn't say that. I'm just irritated.

The GZDoom architecture is a lot more CPU intensive than most games released today, whether or not this comes off as sloppy programming is debatable but you can't deny it's a horribly demanding engine for such an old game.

But perhaps it's not so much the port at fault as is the game itself was never intended to handle so much detail, and thus the port is a way to exploit the game to do more than it's suppose to, and thus considering the way Doom handles things + the GZDoom port = bound to experience some kind of FPS drop on the best computer on any T667 game even if you can run Crysis on ultra high.

BurningCadavre said:

The GZDoom architecture is a lot more CPU intensive than most games released today, whether or not this comes off as sloppy programming is debatable but you can't deny it's a horribly demanding engine for such an old game.

Based on what Kaiser has told me about the issues inherent with transforming Doom's engine principles into a hardware rendering system, especially on hugely complex maps with gigantic stretches of unbroken line-of-sight, I don't think it's even remotely fair to call GZDoom "horribly demanding".

edit: You edited your post! That's more like it, yeah :p

I run it in opengl at max resolution without any problems. My computer is good I suppose but it's just a Core 2 Duo - it's not an i7 or anything.

While I'm sure GZDoom could be faster, it's at least a hell of a lot faster than ZDoomGL. (Like 2-3x the framerate) The fact that you're trying to render a wad file I'm sure complicates things a lot. You can't use a lot of the code that's already out there and fully optimized.