Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
40oz

Really REALLY hard speedmaps

Melon said:

403 I want to show you this but I can't error.

Whatever that means, I can't download this.

Oops, sorry! Fixed now.

Here's an FDA for a certain level in this thread. Be sure to set aside an hour for this one.

buggerthis_1sttry_byTGH.zip - FDA on Bugger This (buggerthis.wad) by RjY

• Skill: Ultra-Violence
  • Time: 52:08 (exit time: 1:44)
  • Stats: 83737%/100%/100%
  • Deaths: Too many
  • Recorded With: PrBoom+ 2.5.0.8 -complevel 9
EDIT (12/18/2010 1:35 AM PST:) Added an extra file in the .zip, buggerthis-tgh-144.lmp, which is my successful attempt in the FDA all by itself. This comes courtesy of RjY and his programming wizardry.

RjY said:

But once again I do feel compelled to call you a nutter :P

Well, yes, perhaps I am a nutter to play a map like that for almost an hour. ;)

Meanwhile, RjY worked some coding magic and managed to snip off everything in the FDA other than my last, successful attempt without causing desyncs. I've just put the result in my FDA .ZIP, so you have the option of watching it without going through over 50 minutes of me dying to get there. ;)

The fourth and hopefully final version of the wad

Some time this weekend I'll try to make time to write the text file and then it can be uploaded to idgames. Get any last changes in before then (I don't think any are outstanding? The MAP03 comment from gggmork maybe?)

In the mean time, if you've added a music file to your level, let me know what it is so I can credit it properly. I'm also planning on giving it the "can be modified" notice, if anybody disagrees with this then let me know, I'll take silence as your agreement.

P.S. Green Herring your demo (I only checked the short demo) works correctly with the above wad, I couldn't imagine why it wouldn't but there's confirmation for you.

EDIT: There is of course no need to hurry with getting the file on idgames. Does anyone think it might be worthwhile providing the idgames upload with a demo of each level? Might help prevent the inveitable spam of claims that it's impossible.

gggmork said:

Is it just me or is this link broken? I get to speedyshare's page all right but clicking on the actual download link gets me "Not Found - The requested URL /files/25782684/download/speed17v4-6-&-30-ggg.zip was not found on this server." One obvious suspect is the nonalphanumeric character in the filename is confusing the server (or my browser) but I don't know.

Edit; thanks Mad Butcher (see post below)

A bug I found in ArmouredBlood's MAP01 (sorry): If you walk backwards or to your right at the start of the level, the pop-up trigger won't go off, letting you fall into the pit where the cyberdemons are. This is because the trigger doesn't actually cross the center of the player despite obviously being intended to do so. (Easy to fix: Vertex 9 should be at -352, -96, not -352, -100.)

gggmork said:

lololol, I actually beat map 5 (I assume max is impossible). Used v4 of the wad.
http://www.speedyshare.com/files/25782585/speed17v4-05-ggg.lmp

Actually, it's possible, but you have to go out of your way to do it.

Spoiler

The marble Baron face at the beginning of the crusher corridor hides a passage with a Cybie in it that you can lure under the crusher and the pit you ran over in the end leads to a passage with multiple Cybies and Barons. Both were intended routes, but I forgot about straferunning. Also, the exit door has a line that activates crushers above the rest of the Cybies in the map that you couldn't kill. They work a bit slowly though and you bypassing the final Cyberdemon meant that the others were probably still alive.

In other news, I made some adjustments to my map.
http://www.zshare.net/download/84094432529873be/

Version 5!

I decided to go ahead and make the bugfixes mentioned to other people's maps to save everyone's time, as well as making a few changes to mine. I guess I should have asked first, but let me know if you want me to revert any of the changes below and I will. Hopefully I didn't break anything else in the process...:

MAP01:
Updated to ABs new version.
Changed the vertex TGH mentioned to prevent the player falling into the pit.

MAP03:
Added some more trigger linedefs so you can't avoid releasing the horde like ggg mentioned.

MAP04:
Added a trigger linedef behind the pain elemental and mancubus pit so you can't fall into it from behind.

MAP05:
Updated to Solarn's new version.

MAP06:
Removed invulnerability sphere (I wanted it to be a resource the player had to use wisely, but was just flat out too powerful)
Removed a soulsphere and megasphere, and moved location of the megaspheres (to attain symmetry)
Removed ammo. Half the number of cells, far less shells, a few less rockets.
A few more imps.
Revenant, chaingunner and arachnotron ceiling closets take less time to come down.

gggmork said:

lololol, I actually beat map 5 (I assume max is impossible). Used v4 of the wad.
http://www.speedyshare.com/files/25782585/speed17v4-05-ggg.lmp

edit: and the last 2 maps, 6 & 30:
http://www.speedyshare.com/files/25782684/speed17v4-6-_-30-ggg.zip

It's cool to see someone demo one of my maps. Unfortunately it turns out my map really is way to easy, so you've inspired some small changes shown above. I would have made it harder from the offset, but I wanted to ensure it was doable so I had to be able to complete it myself, but my skill is not enough for this project :(

Also, you missed the secret, so no max for you ;)

I originally combined the levels into one wad because this project seemed finished, but it seems there's still life in it yet. If more people want to post new levels, then go for it, in order to prevent the main combined file from getting a gazillion updates I won't add any new levels to it until the level has been thoroughly playtested and most bugs appear to be fixed.

Maybe if I get some time soon, I'll try to make a new level too (but way way harder than my other one, hopefully).

Who knows, maybe the project will get 17 maps and my shitty temporary name might become a lot cooler.

I'm trying to download your new level, but mediafire doesn't seem to be letting me. I guess it's just a temporary hitch, I'll try again later.

@Melon and whoever else wants to play my latest map. Download it from the other thread it's on. I noticed that an archie can jump you past a trigger faster than a trap closes, but I fixed it in the other thread.

I got close but went in the wrong warp when I needed life (on the version from the other thread).
http://www.speedyshare.com/files/25803352/trialofthegods2-1-ggg.lmp
I increased prboom+'s speed so I didn't have to wait so long for all the warpers to fill up at one point, the rest is normal speed like usual.
Intended hard maps by people who probably don't have much experience playing slaughter style can be fun. They often have unintended loopholes to manipulate enemy masses that the mapper didn't expect. Your other map might even be harder, not sure. Still I tend to like maps by someone like TOD best because he maps to challenge himself and is a slaughter player so there are less 'awkward' parts than someone who is mostly guessing how the gameplay would work to a slaughter player.
edit: hmm, that whole time I stood still waiting, I increased prboom+'s speed to highest, yet when watching the demo, that duration looks normal speed. So it seems easy to cheat by playing slow speed, then the demo will look normal speed?

So it seems easy to cheat by playing slow speed, then the demo will look normal speed?

For TAS purposes that's the whole point of this feature. I'm surprised you only found out about it now. ;)

@gggmork: I know the actual slaughter room is not that hard to get through. Unfortunately, I can't even get there when I play it :( The furthest I've made it is into the room with the circular flyer pit. I'm making another map too, not slaughter styled. If I wanted to make the slaughter fight harder, what would you guys recommend?

DoomHero85 said:

If I wanted to make the slaughter fight harder, what would you guys recommend?

Just my opinion but one thing is to make them shorter. Long hard maps can take a big time commitment if you have to play 10 minutes, die, again, die.. 10+10+10.. etc. Plus stringing multiple areas together can result in somewhat tedious replay, especially if there are some easy mindless parts that take a long time until you get to a hard part. I guess the main ingredients for harder difficulty is: confined space, less health, more enemies, and paying attention to infighting (a room full of 10 hell knights is probably harder than a room full of 10 hell knights and 10 revenants cuz they'll annihilate eachother like particle/anti particles). But 10 hell knights can be boring/tedious to kill one by one with a ssg if its too easy. I like maps with a minimum of boring/tedious/repetitive parts.