Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Quasar

Prepare for the Rebirth!

In 10 days, the Eternity Engine will celebrate the 10th anniversary of its first public release with the unveiling of v3.40.00, which will be based on the efforts currently underway on the C++ development branch.

I am proud to announce that, amongst various other tweaks since v3.39.20, this will be the most backward-compatible version of Eternity yet, with significantly better support for complevel 9 demos, thanks in part to DWF user 4mer -- thus putting to rest permanently any idea that a C++ transition necessitates any loss in this department.

Quasar said:

this will be the most backward-compatible version of Eternity yet

Will it get FraggleScript back, then? :p

Awesome. It's great that the C++ conversion has gone reasonably smoothly; considering the fate of the DoomLegacy C++ overhaul I have to admit I was a little worried when you started work on it :P

The difference being that Eternity did it right by just transitioning the code that really needed work unlike Legacy which tried to go all the way at the same time.

Such things will never work if you don't make sure you have a stable foundation first before doing more things.

And here is a preview of the C++ EE release.. uh... doing stupid shit.

Sprites.wad is a test wad for Mochadoom that demonstrates how well the Mochadoom renderer handles 1000+ sprites. In Eternity Engine, however, it turns into a NUTS.WAD clone with Episode 1 monsters!

This is the Crazy Gun from Armas19.wad. It replaces the BFG and uses the PE death as bfg tracers, which then spawn lost souls... which are replaced with huge-ass explosions. Instant death if I wasn't in God mode. it spawns a lot of things, which is a good stress test.

Do you notice how well the renderer handles long walls? there is minimal-to-no jitter thanks to the "Cardboard" renderer Eternity Engine features.

esselfortium said:

Awesome. It's great that the C++ conversion has gone reasonably smoothly; considering the fate of the DoomLegacy C++ overhaul I have to admit I was a little worried when you started work on it :P

And I would suppose that what they have done is try to bite off more than they could chew.

I could go on for months or maybe years changing everything into neat tidy classes and namespaces, but there is no compelling reason to do any of that right now. All I've done is use C++ to address the core things which were presenting as design (and overdesign :P) problems in the C code, and it's worked out great.

EDIT: What Graf said ;) (Missed his post there for a moment).

You'll have to wait longer, because this version will be called Rebirth, and I don't think that's an ancient deity name. :p

Gez said:

You'll have to wait longer, because this version will be called Rebirth, and I don't think that's an ancient deity name. :p

Nope :P The next version after this will probably have a more regular name, however.