Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Compet-N: incoming and discussion, part 1 [please post in part 2 instead]

xepop said:

Coop uv30 in 19:52
by xepop & Looper

and...

very enjoyable run, for me even more than the NM runs since i play UV mostly. tricks worked remarkably well, at the first try, maybe except for missing the raising bridge on map 29 which cost a few seconds, but everything else worked great.

Congrats with graduating! Nice to see you active again, looking forward to see more nightmare demos from you. Needless to say, this one was fun to watch, glad i finally have some time to spend on dooming now too (omg, i've just remembered i have hundreds worth of demos waiting for me to watch them. Guess i know what to spend christmas holidays on, haha).

Good news :)

A new C-N results update is available for download.
but:
I had doubts.
I finally created Movie tables for Ultimate Doom and Doom II. Two questions arise:
1. Why there are no Tyson movies listed on this page?
They are sort of invalid or what? I'm referring to 44:49 Episode 1 by Radek Pecka, 79:51 Episode 2 by Patrick Martin and 103:01 Episode 3 by Patrick Martin. All in all, they ARE present on my list. I hope I didn't do anything wrong.
2. If I understand well, current Doom2 Episode 1 UV Speed record is 6:00 by Paska, as any full UV run also automatically counts in Episode 1 category?
and
Third doubt which has nothing in common with the movie category...
3. Recently didierbertrand asked a question about cs21-150. This is a fairly slow, "just to survive" demo by Joan Baguda and it fits in NM Speed and NM100 categories for Classic Episode, E2M1. I see nothing wrong with this demo, so I assumed I just missed it, thus it is now included in the Class_ep section. However, this demo is nowhere to be found here. If someone knows any details regarding this old demo, please let me know.

Now onto: 2010 summary (this text was prepared beforehand :) )

I'm not lucky enough to have witnessed Compet-N in its glory, running smoothly supervised by Adam H and Adam W. In the archived news I found some statistics... as Never Again let me keep record of new records, starting from January 2010, I could easily provide some Hegyi-style stats "as if nothing had happened at all".

# 187 single-player demos recorded in 2010
      31 of them were for IWADs, 
     156 demos were for PWADs.

# Demos by WAD:
     Ultimate DOOM       -  5 demos
     DOOM II             -  6
     Evilution           -  4
     Plutonia            - 16
     AV                  - 24
     Classic Episode     -  1
     HR                  -  9
     MM                  - 20
     MM2                 - 78
     Requiem             - 24

# Category breakdown(*):
     UV Speeds           - 23
     UV Maxes            - 35
     Nightmares combined - 27
     UV -fasts           - 63
     Respawns            - 14
     Pacifists           -  8
     Tysons              -  9
     Movies              -  8
(*) Double entries - Speed/Pacifist count as Pacifists

# Demo activity by month(**):
     Jan / Feb / Mar / Apr / May / Jun / Jul / Aug / Sep / Oct / Nov / Dec
      33 /  17 /  15 /  11 /  16 /  35 /  16 /  12 /  5  /  6  /  9  /  12
(**) A demo recorded e.g. in Feb posted in Apr counts as April; demos recorded before 2010 do not count.

# Full list of participants:
    (in parentheses - debut year)
     AdamW             (1999)
     Ryback            (1999)
     xit-vono          (2001)
     Eugene            (2003)
     Hitherto          (2007)
     The Green Herring (2007)
     JCD               (2008)
     tatsurd-cacocaco  (2008)
     Archy             (2009)
     kimo_xvirus       (2009)
     Red-XIII          (2009) (***)
     vdgg              (2009)
     xepop             (2009)
     Paska             (2010)
     Revved            (2010)
     termrork          (2010) (***)
(***) These players did not present their demos by posting them in this thread, they can only be found at DSDA.

# Out of these 16 participants, the most active players were (Top five):
     vdgg             - 44 demos
     Revved           - 43
     tatsurd-cacocaco - 30
     kimo_xvirus      - 19
     Eugene           - 12

# Shortest demo: 5 seconds (Paska, Plutonia MAP21).
# Longest demo: 1 hour, 32 minutes, 26 seconds (Revved, Requiem 3rd episode)

# Coop demos: 3 demos, all by by xepop and Paska, all for Doom II.
On a subjective note:

A very active year. Browsing through this thread I found only about 100 demos in 2009, so the increase is very significant. No heroic achievements from Guiddqd, Henning Skogsto or Never Again this time, but three new players hopefully made up for that. In peak months we could watch more than one demo per day. Categories: This year featured an amazing activity in the UV -fast category; Pacifists and Tysons were extremely rare. WADs: There were many, many MM2 demos (even if one MM2 freak didn't post his demos at all, MM2 would still have won :-P). IWAD demo activity has practically disappeared, except Plutonia, but OTOH we witnessed milestone achievements among those few, such as MAP30 Tyson (Doom II) or MAP09 Nightmare (Evilution). There was only one Classic Episode demo, but it was the first one since 2006 (and keep in mind WHO was the recorder :) ) Players: Out of the Top Five only Revved stayed equally active in both halves of the year (23 demos until end of June / 20 after June). The rest was much more active in the first half of the year than in the second (kimo_xvirus - 18 demos until end of June / 1 after June; tatsurd-cacocaco - 24 / 6 respectively; Eugene - 12 / 0, and so on). If you've read so far and not bored yet, you may want to see all month by month details, check this link (a screenshot from my database).

Nice end of year roundup, good job :)

vdgg said:

1. Why there are no Tyson movies listed on this page?
They are sort of invalid or what? I'm referring to 44:49 Episode 1 by Radek Pecka, 79:51 Episode 2 by Patrick Martin and 103:01 Episode 3 by Patrick Martin. All in all, they ARE present on my list. I hope I didn't do anything wrong.

I don't know, but I'm guessing they were never considered eligible for points, even though accepted and validated by Adam. I haven't looked at the spreadsheet yet, but have you also got Jason Henry's MAP01-MAP13 UV Tyson run? (doom2/movie/12uv-tys.zip). He "skips" MAP07 and MAP12, ie uses other weapons in them, so maybe it could be considered as a MAP01-MAP06 run.

vdgg said:

2. If I understand well, current Doom2 Episode 1 UV Speed record is 6:00 by Paska, as any full UV run also automatically counts in Episode 1 category?

Yep.

vdgg said:

3. Recently didierbertrand asked a question about cs21-150. This is a fairly slow, "just to survive" demo by Joan Baguda and it fits in NM Speed and NM100 categories for Classic Episode, E2M1. I see nothing wrong with this demo, so I assumed I just missed it, thus it is now included in the Class_ep section. However, this demo is nowhere to be found here. If someone knows any details regarding this old demo, please let me know.

[/b]
It was uploaded before the last Compet-N update, and mentioned in the update, so presumably it's valid. I'm pretty sure Adam just overlooked it when updating the (manually generated) pwad record tables. That was the same update where the fullzip that was meant to contain all submitted demos only included IWAD demos, so he might have gotten a little sloppy.

dew said:

hahaha... you're nuts.

If he wasn't before, he probably is now. Pacifist can be so frustrating, nice work!

Gotta say I love these long pacifist runs where everything is a struggle against the odds. Some nice tactics here, to say the least.

I remember xit trying that longish ago. If I remember, the end spider never fell down in prboomplus, so I never fully attempted it. Maybe I was using the wrong complevel. Good job.

Really old school pacifist playing too, long and tough all the way through and exiting with more than 50% kills... loved the rapid change of plan at the end as well :) Great demo.

Congrats indeed :) ...also tried this some 10++ years ago, got 2 yellow-key but wasnt for me ..the luck factor never showed up on my side in the damn game :) thru out history many players have been attempting this particular feat for some reason. I remember having some long email discussions about this one in the 90s but we never managed to work out any solution to all the problems...

Yeah amazing achievement. I really enjoyed every second of your demo. The end was very breathtaking :-)
I wonder what you will come with next, Paska!

Paska said:

Map 17 - Tenements
Pacifist
Doom2 v1.9
Time: 41:33

hehe hehe

In the previous century, PA29 was considered to be "The ultimate Pacifist challenge". But some far harder challenges (among them PA26, RP04, and of course PA17) fell before the power of the newer generations. Congratulations on this royal contribution to Doom's progress!

Despite the length of this demo, it was really fun for me to watch your marathon through one of my favorite levels from the original game.

gggmork said:

If I remember, the end spider never fell down in prboomplus, so I never fully attempted it. Maybe I was using the wrong complevel. Good job.

Somehow imp manages to block it to the elevator pixel perfect.
According to xepop, elevator is 128 units wide, just like arachnotron.

I don't see any tactics to pa02 but luck. Although I'll give it a try.

EDIT: Yeah SAV88, it's long demo. At some points I do nothing, but I had to calm down because I didn't want to make idiotic mistakes again.

You must have been feeling pretty sick near the end with that chaingunner, after deciding to handle it the "safe" way, rather than just running for the exit. Perhaps the most impressive thing about this demo is that you didn't just smash your screen at that point, and you kept calm enough to exit in the end. I guess every truly epic demo needs a fubar moment or two.

pa17 is an impressive achievement. I did indeed try it, and had an attempt where I was killed by the arch-vile. I'm sure it would be frustrating to spend multiple attempts which can last up to 40 minutes only to hope to get lucky in the ending.