Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
pcorf

Pcorf community project (fun and easy going)

Snakes said:

I think 40 maps is plenty... Seriously.

You're dead right!

pcorf said:

Yeah indeed. The extra episode is pretty average though.

But I've never played No Rest For The Living.

Thats alright' itd be the opposite :p

I thought No Rest for the Living was one of the best 9-level episodes I'd EVER played, and made Doom 2 feel like cheap bog-standard stuff in comparison

As for the 40 maps is enough. I know that and I agree, I'm just stating it'd be a nifty little touch to have it be the classic 9 maps, both in homage to the original map setup, for it's name similarity to NRFTL, and the 32+9 thing. Obviously its too late, and im fine with it the way it is, just you know, throwing my late thoughts in there

The upload to idgames edges closer. I'm going to have one final look through this megawad but I think all is looking good.

- Completed all the documentation
- All music completed!
- Those scrolling crates in MAP04 looked awful, replaced them with some pipewall. Looks much better.
- Did some texture alignment in MAP04 and MAP06 (not all textures aligned are in MAP06 for a reason because its a wrecked ship, but I aligned the COMPSPAN textures in the starting room)
- Touched up MAP18 a little so its less confusing to the player. The switch to lower the blue key was barely noticeable.
- Fixed a missing texture lift bug that caused HOM in MAP28. You can only blame Doom Builder for this because it likes to delete textures.
- Over the weeks have fixed various misalignments and stuff like that in most of the maps so the rest is looking pretty good.

This WAD is not perfect, but is anything perfect in this world?

I'm a little disappointed my map didn't make the first 32 but I'm nethertheless looking forward to downloading this and playing the other maps. Some of the screenshots and concepts in the thread look interesting.

purist said:

I'm a little disappointed my map didn't make the first 32 but I'm nethertheless looking forward to downloading this and playing the other maps. Some of the screenshots and concepts in the thread look interesting.

It wasn't a bad map and I thought it and a few others were a bit unlucky to miss out.

Looks like PCCP will be uploaded on 11 or 12 Jan.

Might actually go through the FTP to grab a copy of this from /incoming on /newstuff in the next week or so then, given how long its currently taking the Doomworld interface to catch up.

Its official. PCCP has now been uploaded to the archives. Thanks for all your contributions guys.

Awesome, can you upload somewhere else though in the meantime?. It might not be available for up to a week if it sits in Incoming. I tried using FTP program to download the files from Incoming, but access is denied, you can only upload to this folder.

Awesome, now I just need to get around to fixing my control setup :D

Also downloaded WoS in preparation for this, but its done already >_>

Pcorf, for the ending of the first map in the No Hope For Peace episode... can you add 2 med kits? Starting my map with less than 80 health is suicide with all the hitscanners. :)

And sorry to be more annoying but in the starting area if you look at the buildings you'll see that different sides of the wall is cut off at different heights... maybe you can fix that? ;)

Ugh, and about my map, I don't know but I really am not a fan of it haha. My next one will be much better.

noticed few tiny HOMs in glass left of yellow key door in the first map

I'll pop up if I notice something else (using prb+)

there is a big hom in map 20. It is visible in the room with the first red key door (where you can see the river but not get to it).

I`m getting reeeally lost in map10 atm. Where the fuuuuuck is the yellow nd/or the blue key :O Waaaaaah! *keeps running around looking*

Yeah, that map was confusing as Hell, took me 30 minutes :/
But it looks great lol

Also, map11, holy crap! I died on this at least 10 times, maybe you should shift it up near the end of the map list, some of the traps wern't even fair :(

Yeah, these maps were designed with pistol-starting in mind, so I'd recommend just playing them that way.

Also, MAP06... Nice looking, but the floor detail is driving me fucking crazy. Was this tested in ZDoom or something?

Just taking a look over the text file I'm amused to see that I wrote dozens more lines on the descriptions of my maps than most other folks. I guess I just have a tendency towards verbosity. :)

About to start playing some, can't wait.

played until map08, and also take a fast look to the rest...
i've noticed a HOM in the yellow skull gallery (sector... erm unknown),
but for the rest is a great megawad, only map i've got less hyped is Roundabout, is a cool map, but..it left me with a bitter taste in mouth (lol translators) anyway it's cool!

About halfway through MAP10 now - the maps so far haven't been bad, but none's really stood out. Roundabout seemed a bit tough, comparitively, Captain Toenail's work felt a bit heavy on the hitscanners and the crashed ship level looked the best so far. I'm enjoying it at the moment overall!

Thoughts on maps as I'm playing them:

(N.b. I am playing through them without pistol-restarting, and on Skill 3, just because that's my default.)

Map01 (Bashed Base by pcorf): Some interesting visuals, especially the V-patterned alcoves in one room with the snipers in them. Funny thing, I found myself bitching at the first rush of demons--"Fuck, how am I supposed to kill these with a pistol and thirty bullets"--then remembered there was a berserk pack. :P I'm so used to playing maps with plenty of ammo (and megawads where I have the chainsaw for most of the time) that I tend to think of the berserk as a health item more than a weapon. After that it was a very fair map, though I never did find a shotgun which probably made it harder for me than it should have been.

Map02 (Nukem by Captain Toenail): This map makes gray textures look good and is an almost perfect example, IMO, of economy of detail in a "vanilla" map. Gameplay was excellent overall for a map02. The chaingunner trap made me jump but wasn't unfair, which is just the way it should be. The second trap... not so much. :P

Map03 (Iron Mike by Snakes): Only 43 monsters on HMP is something I actually really like; it's refreshing to see a map that concentrates on looking good instead of making the player kill 300 monsters to beat it (ironic considering my map28, I know). Again texturing was fantastic, detail at a perfect level, and once again silly me tried to avoid taking a berserk pack and later wished I had. I was fine but mostly because I wasn't pistol starting.

Map04 (Granite Base by Captain Toenail): This time there wasn't a berserker pack here (that I saw). There sure was a chainsaw though! Again a very nice looking map. I liked the fact that the player has the option of doubling back for optional key doors in addition to the main path through the level. I would've liked a bit more warning that I was about to exit, but that's a pretty minor nit to pick.

I'll write more when I play more. Really excited to finally be playing this!

Yay! Can't wait to start playing through, I haven't tackled a megawad in a long time

jerrysheppy said:

Map03 (Iron Mike by Snakes): Only 43 monsters on HMP is something I actually really like

Plus it's only the third level :P Whereas it is appropriate to throw everything but the kitchen sink at the player when you're at map28

Ok, map18, noticed two bugs. There's a weird HOM/texture bleed at -457, -3199, -160. Also, I managed to press the blue switch without the blue key, unless this was intentional? I'm not sure I got a bit confused in this map at the train tunnel bit :P