Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

A Sound Thrashing

The Crypt of Decay has posted a new sound pack for use with Doom or Doom 2. According to the page, "this sound pak has new weapon, monster, and item sounds. Two midi tracks have been changed also; and those are the intro and intermission songs."

I think it's quite interesting and for one, I get bored of the same sounds over and over. Anyone with me?

shut up

Hey man, I'm entitled to my opinion, I'm glad you like it, but its just not my cup of tea, ok?

This is an important message. DO NOT DELETE THIS. It is a special historical work.

---StartFragment---

Moo!

---EndFragment---

Originally posted by Scragadelic
This is an important message. DO NOT DELETE THIS. It is a special historical work.

---StartFragment---

Moo!

---EndFragment---

What a waste of a first post.

Originally posted by Scragadelic

---StartFragment---

Moo!

---EndFragment---

Scragadelic

That explains the sudden burst of stupidity ;P

Okay.... so I download dis wad.... I figure "Heh, maybe it's actually a good quality sounds wad dat I can get some new ideas from".... as ya'll peeps know I'm workin on a HUGE ZDOOM sounds wad right now (300 HIGH QUALITY sounds) which has sounds for all 3 classes, 26+ ambient sounds, splashes for all liquids... well you gets mah point.... it's BIG, and it has several never before seen features for doom2 in it too!

Anyways.... so I open up dis little wad, and what do I see.... MOST OF ME AND ELBRYAN42's DOOM64 sounds! Okay, coo... nice to see dat someone takes da old sounds wads, renames da entries, releases it with about 12 sounds from quake2 and 3, and 2 OLD doom tracks, and calls it a new wad. It's actually nice to see our work used. It would have been nice though if dis guy actually did somethin to improve da sounds, instead of releasin mah sounds wad and royally fuckin da quality of mah sounds, but it's all good!

Then I check da txt file.... NOT ONE WORD OF CREDIT TO ME OR ELBRYAN42 EVEN!!! He basically takes our work, renames da entries and posts it as HIS WORK! Dis mofucka is gonna be gettin a nice email from us tonight! He even has da nerve to email Ling and have him put ME AND ELBY's WORK ON DW'S FRONT NEWS PAGE AND CALL IT HIS!!!

Let's review....
1)HE takes me and Elby's work and gives us NO CREDIT
2)HE makes da sounds dat WE RIPPED and edited, sound shitty as FUCK
3)He calls it HIS NEW SOUNDS WAD FOR DOOM2!!!!
4)HE EMAILS LING TO PUT IT UP ON DW'S FRONT NEWS PAGE!!!

Let me put it dis way for ya'll (sorry Ling, but I'm gonna have ta quote ya for just a second).......

NO!

HELL'S
#.....#.......###......#
#.#..#.....#......#....#
#..#.#...#.........#...#
#...##....#......#.....#
#.....#......###.......@

FUCK
#.......#........#####........##
#.#....#.....#...........#......##
#..#...#....#.............#.....##
#...#..#...#...............#....##
#....#.#....#.............#.....##
#.....##.....#..........#.......##
#.......#.......#####........@@

..............I have now officially found mah new BITCH!

EDIT: Wuddup fredrik! Great to see ya dawg! :)

Sounds like it hit the fan(pun intended).There's some answers to be heard.
One thing I miss about the old format-it told you how many comments and how recent the post.

I think you mean British, they're a lot more well known for bursts of stupidity.
But I mean, what else could I have put for my grand first post?

Originally posted by Lament
This comment system is cool, I think I like it more than the original one.

Cause you can raise your post count by doing it :P

Anyway, I haven't tried this wad, so I won't blast it. I usually tend to stay away from just sound replacements. The levels + music are what make the game, IMO, not the sounds, weapons, or other such things.

Wow! That's impressive,no sooner do I mention the comment count and it appears...Nice one Ling!

Originally posted by Da_Esco
Okay.... so I download dis wad.... I figure "Heh, maybe it's actually a good quality sounds wad dat I can get some new ideas from".... as ya'll peeps know I'm workin on a HUGE ZDOOM sounds wad right now (300 HIGH QUALITY sounds) which has sounds for all 3 classes, 26+ ambient sounds, splashes for all liquids... well you gets mah point.... it's BIG, and it has several never before seen features for doom2 in it too!

Anyways.... so I open up dis little wad, and what do I see.... MOST OF ME AND ELBRYAN42's DOOM64 sounds! Okay, coo... nice to see dat someone takes da old sounds wads, renames da entries, releases it with about 12 sounds from quake2 and 3, and 2 OLD doom tracks, and calls it a new wad. It's actually nice to see our work used. It would have been nice though if dis guy actually did somethin to improve da sounds, instead of releasin mah sounds wad and royally fuckin da quality of mah sounds, but it's all good!

Then I check da txt file.... NOT ONE WORD OF CREDIT TO ME OR ELBRYAN42 EVEN!!! He basically takes our work, renames da entries and posts it as HIS WORK! Dis mofucka is gonna be gettin a nice email from us tonight! He even has da nerve to email Ling and have him put ME AND ELBY's WORK ON DW'S FRONT NEWS PAGE AND CALL IT HIS!!!

Let's review....
1)HE takes me and Elby's work and gives us NO CREDIT
2)HE makes da sounds dat WE RIPPED and edited, sound shitty as FUCK
3)He calls it HIS NEW SOUNDS WAD FOR DOOM2!!!!
4)HE EMAILS LING TO PUT IT UP ON DW'S FRONT NEWS PAGE!!!

Let me put it dis way for ya'll (sorry Ling, but I'm gonna have ta quote ya for just a second).......

NO!

HELL'S
#.....#.......###......#
#.#..#.....#......#....#
#..#.#...#.........#...#
#...##....#......#.....#
#.....#......###.......@

FUCK
#.......#........#####........##
#.#....#.....#...........#......##
#..#...#....#.............#.....##
#...#..#...#...............#....##
#....#.#....#.............#.....##
#.....##.....#..........#.......##
#.......#.......#####........@@

..............I have now officially found mah new BITCH!

EDIT: Wuddup fredrik! Great to see ya dawg! :)

Wrong guess, but nice try, esco. The guy didn't email ling to post this upon the news page. It was me who was the one told Ling about it. I saw it on quake3world and told Ling about this over IRC. So accordingly, Ling should have given me some credits :) or not necessary though, I don't extremely care very much about fame. Anyway, imo, those sound replacements in each entry are sorta similiar to what I put in for my deathmatch wad, not very impressive, is it? Also, true, this wad isn't very worth to download. Obviously every single soundtrack comes from Quake3, Quake2, or other games. so, Diabolic: IT IS STILL BORING!

Cop: I wouldn't care less about da wad, if dis guy had given me and Elby credit in da txt file included in da zip! Da only part about dis dat bugs me is dat dis guy gives me and elbryan42 ABSOLUTELY NO CREDIT AT ALL! I like seein my work put to good use, but I should also get credit (MAH PROPS/RESPECT) for it, don't ya think?

BAH, I could ask Ling to remove da news post but it ain't dat important, and he's got enough shit ta do already! After I release da new version of da doom64 sounds in my sounds wad, ya'll will REALLY SEE WHAT I CAN COME UP WITH!

Anyway, imo, those sound replacements in each entry are sorta similiar to what I put in for my deathmatch wad, not very impressive, is it?

Ummmm... glad to hear dat your puttin mah ripped sounds to use... and thanks for da insult at da same time. These sounds may not seem impressive (he fucked most of them up in his wad) but they took hours from me to record, edit, and make them sound good... you try somethin like dis sometime and then see how UNIMPRESSIVE it is to do... gimme a break!

These sounds are mostly from doom64.... about a year ago I released all of them to several DW peeps over email..... then Elbryan put up his ftp and I placed them on there... I still have da originals too! But, da way dis guy did it, not only did he not credit me for mah work, but he managed to make 75% of da sounds come out like crap! Now dat is a fuckin waste!

Obviously every single soundtrack comes from Quake3, Quake2, or other games. so, Diabolic: IT IS STILL BORING!

WHAT SOUNDTRACK! There are only 2 midi's in da wad and they are both from doom! Da weapon and players sounds are from quake 3! Are you hi, 999cop? DAT'S IT! NO MORE DRUGS FOR YOU, I'm cuttin yo ass off dawg!

/me takes cop's stash away from him and goes to get crumped up/
:P

Ummmm... glad to hear dat your puttin da sounds to use... and thanks for da insult at da same time. These sounds may not seem impressive he fucked most of them up in his wad) but they took hours from me to record, edit, and make them sound good... you try somethin like dis sometime and then see how UNIMPRESSIVE it is to do... gimme a break!

These sounds are mostly from doom64.... about a year ago I released all of them to several DW peeps over email..... then Elbryan put up his ftp and I placed them on there... I still have da originals too! But, da way dis guy did it, not only did he not credit me for mah work, but he managed to make 75% of da sounds come out like crap! Now dat is a fuckin waste!

Nah, that's not what I really meant. Why I was saying it isn't impressive because the sounds I put in the wad come from q2, q3,..etc, they don't fit in some certain entries, like its plasma soundtrack, it sounds like crap. Well, I don't know which ones are by you and elbryan exactly, but ive never used you guys' sounds in my wad, i have only used the ones from my q2/q3 folders. However, I wouldn't think your productions are crap. Nah i didnt mean yours are crappy. If you have thought so by any means, i'd apologize for that.

WHAT SOUNDTRACK! There are only 2 midi's in da wad and they are both from doom! Da weapon and players sounds are from quake 3! Are yo hi, 999cop? DAT'S IT! NO MORE DRUGS FOR YOU, I'm cuttin yo ass off dawg!

/me takes cop's stash away from him and goes to get crumped up/
:P

Game soundtracks, were what I was trying to say, you know, such as rocket, plasma, bfg...those soundtracks. Not midi. Actually one of its midi sounds pretty good to me

999cop it's cool, I misunderstood ya, mah bad! But what you are referring to as soundtracks are called sounds or WAV files. A soundtrack is da term used for da BGM (background music) which is played in a game. And my sounds are from doom64, I don't mind anyone usin them (dat's why I released them, to be put to use) as long as they give me credit for mah work. :)

Not only are the sounds used without credit, but the wad wasn't even cleaned up. I unzipped it to 3 megs, WinTex took it down to one and a half.

Originally posted by Fredrik
Remember folks, always clean up your WADs before you release them!

heh. I remember cleaning a wad. It went from 21 megs to 5.

Huh? I have never released an official wad,so I have never heard anything like it. What is this "cleaning up" all about?

Well... when you edit things back and forth, a lot of wasted space ends up inside a WAD, like with a hard drive you haven't defragged in a while (OK, there's no actual space wasted on the HD, but the data gets spread out in the same way). When you clean up a WAD, you remove the wasted gaps, which results in a smaller file size.

well why is there another file been created once you cleaned the wad up? it's called "name.old" is this file part of any of use?

Cop: Da file you is talkin about is a copy of the wad itself BEFORE it was cleaned up. This copy is made JUST IN CASE da new cleaned up wad get corrupted somehow during da clean up process.... it's basically a back up file. Although a cleaned up wad RARELY gets corrupted it DOES HAPPEN once in a blue moon!

Always test out yo wad after cleanin it up to make sure dat it functions fine... if it does, then go ahead and delete dat name.old file. If it doesn't, you can always delete the new cleaned up wad, rename da name.old file to name.wad, and try it again WITHOUT losin all of yo hard work.