Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kaiser

Doom64 EX 2.0a (Feedback Build) - Updated 3-12-11

Tamhvm said:

I don't like chasecam, it's always off.

Then explain why and suggest what would make it better! The point of this thread is to improve stuff in addition to fixing bugs :P

Hehehe, explain why, you say.

Well, simply put I don't like chasecam because Doom 64 is a FPS.
That and it was meant to be played from a first person perspective.
Yeah, I'm kind of purist when playing the original Doom games.

In other mods/TCs I've seen/played, chasecam is fine as they're meant to add different stuff to the game (like Jumpmaze, I find it very hard to play it without chasecam).

I know that the goal of this engine is to be as faithful as possible to Doom 64, and add extra features, so I don't want to say that chasecam is really useless (maybe someone would work on a Doom 64 EX TC, who knows).

I played around a bit more today to see if I could find any more bugs worth bringing up. So here's what I have:

- If I change my music source from internal to external and then exit the game, it does not save that selection. I have to switch the music source again after starting a new session.
- Another weird one with the music source. While in-game in a map, I changed my music source to external. The music stopped playing in the map I made the change in, so I IDCLEV'd to another map. The music worked in that map so I IDCLEV'd back to the previous map. However the music still didn't work.
- I was playing through MAP16 when the music started popping/cracking about 5 minutes in. I'm 90% sure I was using the external .ogg tracks at the time. When I exited to a new map, the issue stopped.
- I was having some weird issues with the music just in general. Sometimes if I would revisit a map (via IDCLEV) the music wouldn't play. Other times it just wouldn't play period. There doesn't seem to be much of a way to reproduce that weirdness though; it seems to happen sorta randomly.
- When smooth framerate is enabled, if you press ESC to go into the menu while an animating sprite is in the player's view (eg. in my case it was an Imp fireball hurtling towards me), the sprite will jiggle and shake. I think the same thing will happen if you go into the menu while a weapon is in the middle of switching. It only seems to happen when you go into the menu.
- If you die near a wall and press use, the player will still make the grunting noise just like he would if he were alive. Of course directly after that the game fades out to restart the level. I just found this one out by accident and I don't think it's anything major. I didn't check to see if switches could still be pressed though.
- In MAP17, this didn't look right to me: screenshot. I don't have a way to compare it to the original N64 game, but it seems like those grates are supposed to be transparent (I guess essentially it's missing the "Masked" tag or something?).
- While attempting to reproduce the crash I got on MAP28, I noticed some weird behavior with the Lost Souls that were being spawned from the Pain Elementals. They were acting as if they lost their target and they were up against the wall and not moving. Screenshots here and here. If a monster or player hit one of them while they were in this state, they would "awaken" and attack.
- Similar to the above, in MAP13 in the room beyond the red key door, a couple of the Imps on the upper walkways seemed to be stuck. They wouldn't move or attack even when shot at. I didn't take any screenshots though.
- This is more of a request, but would it be possible to log all in-game message in the console? Or maybe have an option to enable something like that? Similar to that, would it be possible to show more than 1 message at a time on the HUD? Sorta similar to what you can do in EE or ZDoom where you can have it display 2 or 3 lines of separate messages.

I tried to reproduce the crashes I got on MAP28 and MAP30 a while back but I didn't have any luck. It's hard to say what was really going on there.

I don't want to make this sound like I'm complaining, but I noticed that the movement feels very squishy now. It's probably more accurate to how the movement felt in the N64 version of the game though. Strafing feels very loose or too sensitive. Often times I'll run right into a wall or get myself stuck on something because of how loose it is. It's probably not a big deal, but would there be any way to have an option in the menu for a more classic-style movement? In previous versions I remember the movement feeling much tighter.

The last thing I did today was play around a bit with Builder64. I think the version I have is likely out of date in relation to any of the source versions available on the SVN though. Are you taking bug reports/suggestions for Builder64 right now?

*edit*

One more to add to the list:

- In MAP32 I grabbed the yellow key and then turned to run back to the door. Right at that time all of the dart traps where going off all at once and then I got an error and a crash. The error message is below.

ERROR - V_STARTSOUND: CHANNEL QUEUE OVERFLOW

+ Set demoplayback to false when P_Stop() is called to prevent hud from briefly showing before end of demo
+ CF_FLOATCAM flag added to player cheats
+ Additional failsafe checks for saving floating cameratarget (chasecam)
+ Numerous fixes to saveg_write_mobj_t to insure proper padding size when writing out bytes
+ consistency marker added for writing out mobjs to savegame file
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/18609/Kex_Engine.zip

Mechadon said:

I played around a bit more today to see if I could find any more bugs worth bringing up. So here's what I have:

- If I change my music source from internal to external and then exit the game, it does not save that selection. I have to switch the music source again after starting a new session.
- Another weird one with the music source. While in-game in a map, I changed my music source to external. The music stopped playing in the map I made the change in, so I IDCLEV'd to another map. The music worked in that map so I IDCLEV'd back to the previous map. However the music still didn't work.
- I was playing through MAP16 when the music started popping/cracking about 5 minutes in. I'm 90% sure I was using the external .ogg tracks at the time. When I exited to a new map, the issue stopped.
- I was having some weird issues with the music just in general. Sometimes if I would revisit a map (via IDCLEV) the music wouldn't play. Other times it just wouldn't play period. There doesn't seem to be much of a way to reproduce that weirdness though; it seems to happen sorta randomly.

SDL_Mixer nonsense. I'll keep poking around for a solution though

Mechadon said:

- When smooth framerate is enabled, if you press ESC to go into the menu while an animating sprite is in the player's view (eg. in my case it was an Imp fireball hurtling towards me), the sprite will jiggle and shake. I think the same thing will happen if you go into the menu while a weapon is in the middle of switching. It only seems to happen when you go into the menu.

Interpolation nonsense. I never accounted to calculate between frames when the menu is up. I am lazy.

Mechadon said:

- If you die near a wall and press use, the player will still make the grunting noise just like he would if he were alive. Of course directly after that the game fades out to restart the level. I just found this one out by accident and I don't think it's anything major. I didn't check to see if switches could still be pressed though.

lol

Mechadon said:

- In MAP17, this didn't look right to me: screenshot. I don't have a way to compare it to the original N64 game, but it seems like those grates are supposed to be transparent (I guess essentially it's missing the "Masked" tag or something?).

I am surprised I missed that one. I only had the engine check for one sided lines with the mask flag.

Edit: Actually I am wrong. I checked the map in the editor and found that the mask flag isn't set for those lines. But what surprises me is that they still show up properly masked in the N64 version. Now I am curious..

Mechadon said:

- While attempting to reproduce the crash I got on MAP28, I noticed some weird behavior with the Lost Souls that were being spawned from the Pain Elementals. They were acting as if they lost their target and they were up against the wall and not moving. Screenshots here and here. If a monster or player hit one of them while they were in this state, they would "awaken" and attack.

Thats new...

Mechadon said:

- Similar to the above, in MAP13 in the room beyond the red key door, a couple of the Imps on the upper walkways seemed to be stuck. They wouldn't move or attack even when shot at. I didn't take any screenshots though.

I could be wrong but I believe that is in the original N64 version

Mechadon said:

- This is more of a request, but would it be possible to log all in-game message in the console? Or maybe have an option to enable something like that? Similar to that, would it be possible to show more than 1 message at a time on the HUD? Sorta similar to what you can do in EE or ZDoom where you can have it display 2 or 3 lines of separate messages.

Easy to do for the console. Though I rewrote the hud message stuff from scratch and will have to put in more time to support multiple lines. Low priority at the moment but having the console print out those messages is trivial.

Mechadon said:

I don't want to make this sound like I'm complaining, but I noticed that the movement feels very squishy now. It's probably more accurate to how the movement felt in the N64 version of the game though. Strafing feels very loose or too sensitive. Often times I'll run right into a wall or get myself stuck on something because of how loose it is. It's probably not a big deal, but would there be any way to have an option in the menu for a more classic-style movement? In previous versions I remember the movement feeling much tighter.

Maybe as a compatibility option. Though changing this will effect gameplay greatly and will become a problem when you have custom pwads with puzzles/areas, etc that rely on player speed.

Mechadon said:

Are you taking bug reports/suggestions for Builder64 right now?

OH GOD NO

Mechadon said:

- In MAP32 I grabbed the yellow key and then turned to run back to the door. Right at that time all of the dart traps where going off all at once and then I got an error and a crash. The error message is below.

ERROR - V_STARTSOUND: CHANNEL QUEUE OVERFLOW

I knew it was a bad idea to do that. Basically you ran out of sound channels to play and I setup an error message when that happened. Though without the message you wouldn't hear that sound play until one of the channels is free.

I should probably cap the # of sounds per SFX to play at once. Having the dart sound take up 128 channels is really retarded.

EDIT: Another little thing, could the double click use thing be an option instead of always on? It kind of interferes with the way I play sometimes. :P

EDIT 3: Disregard the previous error report. I'm an idiot that forgot to generate a new iwad.

Last edit, I swear:

Two bugs with Map28.
First, when using the artifacts to close the demon spawning gates, sometimes a monster will survive and get stuck in there when it closes. The final boss won't appear until all monsters are dead, so the player is stuck and unable to proceed without using noclip to go inside and kill offending monster(s).

Secondly, after completing Map28, the game produces this error message when it attempts to display the ending:

W_GetNumForName: MAP99 not found!

I'm using the latest build put up in this thread but I still can't save games without some error upon reloading. Here's the latest one:

I_XInputInit: Initializing XInput API
Z_Init: Init Zone Memory Allocator
CON_Init: Init Game Console
M_LoadDefaults: Loading Game Configuration
W_Init: Init WADfiles.
M_Init: Init miscellaneous info.
I_Init: Setting up machine state.
R_Init: Init DOOM refresh daemon.
P_Init: Init Playloop state.
G_Init: Setting up gamestate
D_Init: Init DOOM parameters
NET_Init: Init network subsystem.
D_CheckNetGame: Checking network game status.
S_Init: Setting up sound.
ST_Init: Init status bar.
V_InitGL: Starting OpenGL
GL_VENDOR: NVIDIA Corporation
GL_RENDERER: GeForce Go 7950 GTX/PCI/SSE2
GL_VERSION: 2.1.2
GL Extension: GL_ARB_multitexture = true
GL Extension: GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays = true
GL Extension: GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object = true
GL Extension: GL_EXT_fog_coord = true
GL Extension: GL_ARB_texture_non_power_of_two = true
GL Extension: GL_ARB_vertex_program = true
GL Extension: GL_ARB_fragment_program = true
GL Extension: GL_ARB_texture_env_add = true
GL Extension: GL_ARB_texture_env_combine = true

********* ERROR *********
P_UnArchiveMobjs: Mobj read is inconsistent

Also, would it be possible for an autorun option to be added to the menu (and/or launcher) and then saved to the config rather than having to switch it on every time I start a game?

I don't know if it's just me but sometimes the mouse scroll weapon change is a little sluggish.

Apart from the savegame issues I have to say how impressed I am. It's really getting there.

PS: Do you intend to port over your outcast levels from Absolution? :)

I think a compatibility option to tweak the player's movement/speed to be more like it was in previous versions would be a really good idea. The N64 movement code should definitely take precedence for all the reasons you brought up though, so it would be on by default I assume.

About the Lost Soul weirdness in MAP28, to note I didn't notice that behavior with them in any other map. Then again no other map really has that many of them flying around all at once either.

Kaiser said:

OH GOD NO

Hahaha! Yea I guess it's hard enough to work on the engine as it is right now :P. I'll wait patiently until the time comes for that :)

Per-Scan said:

PS: Do you intend to port over your outcast levels from Absolution? :)

I've been meaning to ask this as well. I assume your going to wait until there's a better way to define new actors until this is even considered, right? I'd definitely love to play through the Outcast levels again without having to grab the TC :)

Anyways I've grabbed the new build and I'll keep messing around. I hope all the crap I've reported is helpful to you in some small way.

Mechadon said:

I've been meaning to ask this as well. I assume your going to wait until there's a better way to define new actors until this is even considered, right? I'd definitely love to play through the Outcast levels again without having to grab the TC :)

Anyways I've grabbed the new build and I'll keep messing around. I hope all the crap I've reported is helpful to you in some small way.

I plan on supporting decorate so it can be cross-compatible with other ports that will support doom64 in the future, and yes I may consider converting the TC-specific maps over to d64ex once editing becomes more user-friendly.

Per-Scan said:

Here you go:

<a href='http://www.sendspace.com/file/khgnr8'>http://www.sendspace.com/file/khgnr8</a>

I've had errors with all 4 of these saves. The last one pertains to the above error report. :)

I am kinda running out of solutions. I seriously don't know how to fix this.

I threw together a hacked build and if you can, play through it and save as usual and once you get the error message on inconsistent mobj read save, upload the save file and I'll have a look at it again.

static void saveg_write_mobjindex(mobj_t* mobj)
{
    int i;

if(!mobj)
    {
        saveg_write32(0);
        return;
    }

for(i = 0; i < savegmobjnum; i++)
    {
        if(savegmobj[i].mobj != mobj)
            continue;

saveg_write32(savegmobj[i].index);
        return;
    }
}
I strongly suspect that the text in bold is what's causing the inconsistencies. I'll need to update that when I get home and have someone here test it again.

+ Additional savegame fixes to insure mobj_t is written properly
+ Updated linetype 141 crusher behavior to match N64 version
Current savegames won't work, need to start a new game and save again. I think most of the save issues are fixed, but please someone verify that.

I've run into two issues. First one is the HUD. I'm not great with words so heres some screenshots:

The key affect also happens in the first HUD, I just overlooked capturing that. Mistake on my part. Since it's probably relevant, I'm on an NVidia GeForce4 Ti 4200.

I also had a graphic issue with the intermission screen:

I was finally able to reproduce and screencap an odd glitch that occurred in the second map, with my framerate uncapped. Upon activating a normal-Doom-like rising door, the texture changes to one of the F_SKYX textures for a few frames:

It also occurs in the crushers below, but on the lights in-between them rather than on the crushers themselves:

Whenever I attempt to load a savegame from a different level, it crashes out with: "P_UnArchiveMobjs: Mobj read is inconsistent". However, I can still load the save from the title, the map it was saved on, and intermission screen.

Upon activating the "menu cursor" option, I could no longer move the selection up or down. Exiting out of the menu and going back didn't solve the problem. Restarting allowed me to use the first menu, but all others were still frozen. The next restart unlocked everything, even though it was still set on.

EDIT: Right, the thing I forgot. Is there any way to disable the doublebind of the right mouse button to +USE? Couldn't find one if the config. It can sometimes be annoying trying to walk through doors, since I use that button for forward movement, and end up closing it in my face.

...No more bug reporting late at night, I've had to edit this maybe 4 times to get the details right. =/

Akira_98 said:

...bugs...

Most of these are already mentioned on the front page and I am looking into those and please verify if you're using smooth framerate. Also PLEASE upload the savegame file if you get that inconsistent error. I don't know how many more times I should say that.

Tried repro-ing this but I never got the error message to occur. I loaded both saves from menu and from in-game. Also looked at both savegame files in a hex editor and both show no inconsistencies in the mobj save structure.

I'll continue to look for these issues. Still need verification from other testers.

+ Fix for padding GFX texture objects. Did not properly pad textures that used the RGB8 format
+ Replaced all usage of GL_CLAMP with GL_CLAMP_TO_EDGE
+ Force sky draw on first tic upon level start
+ Sound channel queue overflow error replaced with warning
+ Redesigned interpolation mechanic for sectors
Smooth framerate issues (jittering sprites when paused and crusher issue) is fixed (as of now).

When projectiles, bullet puffs, and blood spawn when using smooth framerate, it starts at odd heights. Bullet buffs and blood spawn 64-128 pixels too high, then jump about another 64-128, then appear where they are supposed to. Only noticeable in taller sectors:

Projectiles start out at the floor and suddenly jump up to their correct height. It happens with monster and player projectiles:

In the room in the screenshot above, sometimes the imps would just stop paying attention to me, and go idle for a few seconds. It happened whenever one imp would step onto the cross-shaped raise in the middle, and the other bumped into it. The one that stepped up would go idle.

The issue with the flashing door texture is fixed, but the lights in the crusher room are not.

Whenever you load a save, the timer for the map is reset, apparently not stored or read from the savegame. You can appear to finish any map in a few seconds this way.
http://files.drdteam.org/index.php/files/get/oH3LxqRwWf/doomsav0.zip

This may be a Doom64 feature/bug, but whenever you use the "restart level" option, it doesn't reset your inventory to either pistol start, or whatever you had at the beginning of the level. It keeps everything you've picked up.

The intermission screen works correctly again with "padding" for me, atleast.

Akira_98 said:

In the room in the screenshot above, sometimes the imps would just stop paying attention to me, and go idle for a few seconds. It happened whenever one imp would step onto the cross-shaped raise in the middle, and the other bumped into it. The one that stepped up would go idle.

Its a confirmed N64 bug due to simplified collision detection. Basically any thing (including the player) can get stuck inside the thing/object's bounding box. Setting collision to 'off' in the Misc menu under N64 Compatibility -or- setting compat_collision to 0 from the console will fix this.

Akira_98 said:

This may be a Doom64 feature/bug, but whenever you use the "restart level" option, it doesn't reset your inventory to either pistol start, or whatever you had at the beginning of the level. It keeps everything you've picked up.

Its a d64ex feature but I'll probably make this an option instead of forcing this.

Another issue:
When continuing a game via a password, the game will always fail to give you the shotgun, regardless if you had one when the game gives you a password. It gives the super shotgun just fine though.

As well, the original cheat password (?TJL BDFW BFGV JVVB) no longer works.

And since we're on the subject of passwords, any chance for a password generator for us to play around with? :P

footman said:

Another issue:
When continuing a game via a password, the game will always fail to give you the shotgun, regardless if you had one when the game gives you a password. It gives the super shotgun just fine though.

As well, the original cheat password (?TJL BDFW BFGV JVVB) no longer works.

And since we're on the subject of passwords, any chance for a password generator for us to play around with? :P

Yeah I am aware that the password system isn't accurate yet, I goofed up somewhere when I was looking at the disassembly. I knew that the cheat/features menu doesn't save but I didn't know about the shotgun.

Also about that password generator... maybe :)
Gotta fix the issue first though