Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Compet-N: incoming and discussion, part 1 [please post in part 2 instead]

tatsurd-cacocaco said:

Alien Vendetta Map 23 NM-Speed in 0:42

Congrats on this serious improvement! I'm going to make a 0:3X tribute to your AN23-042. (EDIT: I posted it here)

Your full NM run through the castle (AS23-515) was also sweet to watch.

Maybe an AV24-4XX UV Max will be your next project?

SAV88 said:

Maybe an AV24-4XX UV Max will be your next project?

Of course, I will try it, but I spent my free time for av23 on NM too much.

Btw, thank you for a new route for the latter part.

Alien Vendetta Map 23 NM-Speed in 0:36

an23-036.zip

tatsurd-cacocaco said:

Alien Vendetta Map 23 NM-Speed in 0:36

Thanks for this impressive run. You get more and more skilled, both in UV fighting and NM speedrunning, and I wish more players would have your persistence.

My answer to your 0:36 is here (0:34).

An interesting case I don't know what to do about in terms of keeping track of current records. One nice fellow doomer noticed this, I'm not sure if he wants me to reveal his name :) Well, thanks!

The case is: HR MAP29 UV Max category!
It turns out that Esko Koskimaa's 10:56 which I listed as a Max record without a blink of the eye has one missed monster. What record should be considered the one that needs to be beaten? (Y'know, I don't know about Claudio, he seems to never have bothered with Compet-N, judging from his text files, but his Max is technically the fastest one). Then goes Peo with his 15:40 from the old demo pack. So, which one? And, will those Maxes we "invalidate" nowadays ever stop??

If Claudio didn't make a compet-n entry, then it can't be considered a compet-n record.

I know I wouldn't like to see someone upload a time slower than 10:56 to get the Compet-N record, especially given how old this demo is now. I don't think we should be invalidating records until/unless Compet-N gets on a more official basis, since AdamH has approved it, even if it wasn't as stringently as would be done now.

Ryback said:
I know I wouldn't like to see someone upload a time slower than 10:56 to get the Compet-N record, especially given how old this demo is now. I don't think we should be invalidating records until/unless Compet-N gets on a more official basis, since AdamH has approved it, even if it wasn't as stringently as would be done now.

Well, I don't see anything wrong in stating "Peo Sjoblom" with a note "The fastest record (10:56 by Esko Koskimaa) has 100% kills, but without resurrected monsters it has only 170/171". This way I'll stay consistent with what I did with rq27 Max and ev17 Max. I think sooner or later this will be solved when someone will present a faster Max (as happened with rq17 and others).

Also, the older question shall be answered:

I haven't looked at the spreadsheet yet, but have you also got Jason Henry's MAP01-MAP13 UV Tyson run? (doom2/movie/12uv-tys.zip). He "skips" MAP07 and MAP12, ie uses other weapons in them, so maybe it could be considered as a MAP01-MAP06 run.

I didn't include Jason Henry's run, but it certainly deserves a mention in the next update.

I also don't want to increase my post count here without a demo... Here's a new m232 Tyson (I'm not satisfied with this one, I thought sub-10 minutes would be easier) edit: reuploaded, wrong zip filename

m2321029.zip

xit-vono said:

Here's a nightmare for mm2 map15 that I had been working on. I think this is an entertaining map for nightmare.

One of my favorites from your Nightmare demos, it's a dynamic challenging battle in the vein of TN09-559, but with more varied action. Maybe you'll conquer MAP25 next time? I analyzed that one with savegames one year ago, and realized that with a solid strategy it's far easier than RN14.

xit-vono said:
Here's a nightmare for mm2 map15

A year ago I said something silly like "MAP15 should be insanely hard". Your recording looked as if this map was pretty easy :) Very nice tactics.

MM2, MAP17 (No One by Michael Rapp), Tyson in 42:33

m2174233.zip

SAV88 said:

One of my favorites from your Nightmare demos, it's a dynamic challenging battle in the vein of TN09-559, but with more varied action. Maybe you'll conquer MAP25 next time? I analyzed that one with savegames one year ago, and realized that with a solid strategy it's far easier than RN14.

I also analyzed this one, and made a TAS demo for it. You should be able to find it on the DSDA. When I made the TAS demo, I believed it to be insanely difficult, comparable to rn14. Is your solid strategy significantly different from my TAS demo?

xit-vono said:

Is your solid strategy significantly different from my TAS demo?

I played it more aggressively, but quicker, straighter methods of handling tricky NM situations are sometimes more reliable. For example, there is no need to kill PEs and barons in the northwest room: you can easily run to the switch and then to the pillar with the white teleporter (just like you do in the UV speedrun). That dangerous detour to the rocket launcher is also not worth the trouble, as having SSG and plasma rifle is enough. You can also strafejump through the gap on the way to the door before the pentagram, and avoid facing these nasty cacos.

I have made 2 demos on av31. I did a nightmare to the normal exit, and a nightmare secrets that uses the secret exit. It's a bit surprising this hasn't been done already, since it's really not that hard.

as31-722.zip

MM2, MAP03 (...And Hell Beneath by Matthias Worch), Tyson in 27:43
Requiem, MAP25 (Chaos Zone by Adam Windsor), UV Max in 2:23

mm2_req.zip

I saw Paska's demo and thought it looked beatable. Credit to him for the blue armor strategy, as well as credits to Creaphis for the yellow key glide trick.

m214n607.zip

vdgg said:

Requiem, MAP25 (Chaos Zone by Adam Windsor), UV Max in 2:23

Requiem is one of my most native and favorite megawads for demo action, and I like to see fresh maxkill records for it. Are you planning to make some more Requiem maxes? I agree that the MAP27 demo is really easy to beat, and many others are too.

xit-vono said:

I saw Paska's demo and thought it looked beatable. Credit to him for the blue armor strategy, as well as credits to Creaphis for the yellow key glide trick.

It's good to see that someone got the motivation to improve those slow (and silly) runs of mine :)

"Looper has quite a nice method of lining up the chainers, which made this quite managable."
Well, I stole the idea from your TAS so it's your method :)

I will go train the glide from the yellow key (but I won't even try to improve the NM speed time ;) and check those other undone nightmare runs.

SAV88 said:
Are you planning to make some more Requiem maxes? I agree that the MAP27 demo is really easy to beat, and many others are too.

Planning? no, but this one wasn't actually planned, if you'd asked me a week ago. I tried rt25, then I got this stupid "no visplanes" error when I was doing really well, so it was "let's produce something useful instead of cursing". rq27 Max - I still don't like the map, only that unfortunate Chrozoron's surviving monster makes me think that... maybe... later this year.

xit-vono said:

When I wrote that idea on how to perform guided glides when the guide is on the right, I wasn't actually sure that such glides were harder (I still don't have much hands-on gliding experience). I almost didn't include it in the post because I didn't think it would be helpful. Yet, here we are, and famed speedrunning experts are thanking me for the insight. I feel astounded.