Episode 2 on DSDA aka darken2

I did some max demos for Darkening.

Map01 - 0:56
Map02 - 2:09
Map03 - 1:44
Map04 - 4:25
Map05 - 4:09
Map06 - 2:19

It's not perfect but i didn't give it much time...Especially i hope that someday i'll improve Map01 cause time around :52 is possible imo..

Get it here.

Edited by Maribo

Hey Method, cool to see that you are playing darkening. I think it's a good wad that people have forgotten about. I remember trying to do map06 in nightmare, but I gave up. I know it's possible though.

Here's three The Darkening: Episode Two demos from a TAS collection I started long ago and haven't yet finished. My reasoning for doing it concurrently with the Eternal collection was mainly to give my brain a rest between levels, but also so I'd have something to release sooner rather than later. Like the Eternal collection, I'm just going to release them as they're created.

MAP01: 2:16
MAP02: 1:56
MAP03: 3:15

dark2tas.zip

MAP11 of Darkening 2 - My favourite.

I decided to record an UV Max demo before Andy Olivera releases his spectacular un-beatable TAS demo. My time is about 2 minutes faster than Brad Spencer's. (7:41)

There is also a UV Speed demo in 4:18.

d211vdgg.zip

darken2 UV speed demos:

MAP02 in :55
MAP03 in 2:09

Well, somehow these are records ATM, but a talented speedrunner will probably laugh at them.

d2spd.zip

darken2 UVspeed demos:

Map01 in 0:46
Map02 in 0:41
Map03 in 0:57
Map04 in 2:39

I liked the aesthetics of this wad and thought I might record something. After map 4 I'm not sure if I want to see rest of the maps.

drk2lmps.zip

^^^^^^^^^^
These are truly great runs, xepop. MAP03 looks almost too easy for you, four demos recorded in one day - impressive stuff. Also a surprise for me to see them from a HR/HR2 recorder.

Yep, darken2 is very demo-not-friendly. MAP04 is painful for Speed, MAP06 may be even worse. I tried it knowing a -nomonsters short time (only 27 seconds), but I didn't produce a single exit; once I died at the end and the time would be 2:10 or something. I've no idea how to skip 3 revenants and an arch-vile. Anyway, I attach MAP11 UV "Speed" in 4:06, recorded before I saw xepop's post.

d211-406.zip

darken2 UVspeed

Map06 in 0:38

Phew. This was semi-interesting, but the very first chaingunner and the exit trap pissed me off a bit. Revenants are always fun and good to keep close and the archvile is not a problem if it doesn't wake up. Definitely hard, but I think map04 won that category (I hope you're right about these being the worst :).

d206-038.zip

Cool, a burst of darken2 runs. And you're correct, vdgg: the MAP10 TAS should be up within a week or two. I'm working on the last area right now.

Your new demo lead me to check the old records and I realized not just one but all of them miss that same Cacodemon. If you're looking for other levels to try, you could do MAP06. Another missed monster there, so the only valid max right now is my TAS.

Good job with MAP12, BTW. That crate jumping sequence is the stuff of nightmares.

Andy Olivera said:
you could do MAP06. Another missed monster there, so the only valid max right now is my TAS

I like this map, but there's a difference between "liking" and "being able to record a good Max demo" :)

darken2
MAP01 UV Max in 2:48
MAP06 UV Max in 4:31

moremax.zip

darken2 MAP10 UV Max - nothing new here except for a rocket jump mentioned by Andy. Now the level is easy :) Also, this one should end my darken2 spamming.

d210-642.zip

darken2

Map05 UV speed in 1:39
Map07 UV speed in 1:07

I looked map08 and probably have to say no for the rest.

darken2 UV Max Run

o.O, gz vddg!

d2demos.zip

Hitherto said:

Some of demos don't have reference to RESOURCE.WAD in prb+ footer. It's funny to look for you (esp. on m01) or what?

I combined RESOURCE.WAD with DARKEN.WAD like a wonkhead. Please don't tell me they desync?

ExclusiveAlias [CBD] said:

Please don't tell me they desync?

No, just look silly.

PS In map06 you missed a monster in (unmarked) secret right before the end. All other demos (except inexistant 07, see AO reply in DSDA thread) are OK. Those recorded in summer definitely looks crazier better than couple of later ones.

^ MAP06 UV-Max in 1:52

I was working on this one before you posted that, since I noticed you mention that the 2:16 was invalid. I wasn't intending to compete over it. :)

Also I promised myself I'd start spending a few days at the minimum on my demos, yet here's another one of these. 

dk06-152.zip

Edited by rdwpa

Luck-based this map may be, but no way I could get 1:52, so well done! And it could have been faster still (easy to say, but it's risky). Once you had arch-vile busy attacking the manc, you could've let them the loose and just concentrate on the revs in the meantime ;)

The Darkening Episode 2

map04 UV-max in 4:41

Sorry for doing this guys but I forgot I had come up with a small improvement for the final rocket and it was ticking me off a bit too much, so I had one more go at this with immediate success. It's a nothing improvement of 3 seconds but at least I can have peace of mind now :)

The 4:41 demo is also included in the zip if someone is interested.

map04 max in 4:38

d204-438.zip

Edited by Veinen : new demo