Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sergeant_Mark_IV

Brutal Doom version 18a

Brutal Doom is a mod for Zandronum and GZDoom that attempts to make Doom faster paced, harder, and much, much, a thousand times gorier and more violent. It's made to work with any IWAD, and any megawad or maps that doesn't contains custom weapons or monsters.

Features:
- Tons of new Death animations for all enemies. You can cut their limbs, cut them in half with chainsaw or minigun, melt them with plasma, Everything can be gibbed, there are even Xdeath states for large enemies like Barons and Mancubus, and much more. You can also shoot their dead bodies, or severed limbs, and keep brutalizing them even after their deaths. You can also use the quick-kick ability to kick their severed heads and limbs away and play bloody soccer.

- Possibility of headshoots for most enemies. You can do extra damage shooting at their heads with small firearms like the Rifle, or completely blow-up their heads with a higher firepower weapon such a shotgun or minigun.

- Flares for decoration and projectiles. You will fell like you were playing in the Doomsday Engine.

- 3D bloodspots for OpenGL users that can paint the ground and ceiling with the blood of your enemies.

- You can RIP AND TEAR an enemy if you kill him with punches while under effect of a berserk. (Also knows as Fatalities)

- If you shot an enemy so close, blood will splash on the screen.

- You can paint the chainsaw with blood.

- A large variety of mutators that will allow you to modify the mod as you wish. You don't like reloading? There's a mutator to remove it. You don't like the Bloodyscreen? There's one to remove it too. Do you miss the Invisibility sphere? There's one to restore it. And so on.

A new balance of weapons and gameplay
All weapons and enemies gained a new balance. There are no more weapons that gets obsolete after you find new ones like in Vanila Doom. (Fists that gets outclassed by Chainsaw, Pistol that gets outclassed by the Chaingun, or Shotgun that gets outclassed by the SSG). Also, there are no more low-threat enemies. Gameplay is much harder and faster. In a short resume: You have more powerful weapons that can kill enemies twice as fast, but enemies have more powerful attacks and can kill you twice as fast too, creating the "Brutal Gameplay".

Bloodier and Gorier! Gibs! Gibs everywhere! You can paint the walls, floor, and ceiling with blood.

Your head asplode! Almost every enemy (exept Cacodemon, Lost Soul, Demon, and Pain Elemental) have new hitboxes for their heads. You can perform headshots to deal more damage, and cause more brutal and bloody deaths. Shoot at heads to explode them, and see brains, teeth, eyes, and blood flying all over the place.

Amazing effects! Particles, flares, and even shadows! You will fell like you were playing in the Doomsday engine.

RIP AND TEAR!. After you find a Berserk pack, killing enemies with a punch will perform 3rd person executions just like in the Doom Comics. By doing such executions, you gain bonus health as a reward.

Downloads:
http://www.moddb.com/mods/brutal-doom/downloads/brutal-doom-version-18

ADVICE:
Before playing, you MUST BE SURE of:

1 - Please, use Open GL mode to properly show the new special effects and taste the full Brutal Doom experience.
2 - In the Open GL settings, set your Adjust Sprite Clipping to Always (Prevents things from getting half in the ground)
3 - In your display options, make sure your deathcam is on! (So you can see the amazing new player deaths)
4 - Read the guide that comes in the readme text.

It requires GZDoom 1.7.0 or higher, or Zandronum 1.0 or higher.

TROUBLESHOTING:

- If the 3D bloodpools aren't showing up, even if you are using Open_GL, open your console and type "gl_use_models 1"
- If the bloodpools are rendering in a weird way, in the Open GL settings, set the Smooth Sprite Edges to Off
- If your framerate is low, type "gl_use_models 0" to hide the bloodpool 3D models. This helps a lot on old computers.

Once I dreamt about a Baron doing Kiltacular on a Revenant (that means he grabbed the skeleton, held over his head and torn him apart), so, this means it's nearly a dream coming true. I love that autovisual display of the marine killing the zombieman.

Can't wait to go through Stronghold from TNT with this :]

Time to RIP AND TEAR!!!

This mod is full of win, nothing beats those berserk kills. I mean c'mon, ask yourself deep down, is there anything really better than using a revenant for T-ball?

Also, catching Lost Souls and throwing them back at PEs is incredibly satisfying.

jesus christ.... your one sick demented mother fu**er... and i like it :D

You could consider making us see how many bullets are currently in the clip...
EDIT:error with spectre fatality:it looks like a normal demon

Edit: After playing with the mod, I see no need for it as it has nice smooth animations for the weapons.

Also, I like how the monsters are more aggressive to compensate the damage that is dealt and given. Makes wide open areas with hitscanners more challenging.

The zombieman is no longer a wimp and can deal a fair amount as opposed to non-BrutalDoom ones. Shotgunners also are pretty dangerous if you let them unload at close range.

OP, you are a genius...this is what Doom really needed..properly done blood and new death animations for the monsters.

Tho I think bullet boxes should add to the player's rifle/minigun ammo count instead of relying on chaingunner and zombieman drops.

Edit #2: I know just screenshots can't justify all the time so here is two of my videos under Ultimate Doom...

Edit #3: What do I edit to make demons from stop climbing over obstacles and why do barons/knights go into pain state after using missile weapon? Also, why does the mancubus play it's attack sound twice when firing?

played it 2 days ago... the only things make me pissed off is the berserk fatalities, since it happens when i was surround from other bastards wants to bit\scratch\shoot at the marine... whatever it's awesome...

So yea, bullet boxes can't be picked up after to max out bullets, which aren't used for the minigun or rifle for some odd reason, just zombieman, chaingunner and placed ammo/weapon drops the two drop.

I've played a few levels with this, and it really makes things harder (which isn't bad). Sometimes when I did a berserk fatality, the camera would go through walls. Also, you can't rip and tear a Cyber. :(

Thanks for all comments. For those who doesn't likes using Skulltag, I hosted a GZdoom/ZDoom-friendly version. Check the first post for download.

@Mr. Chris: Thanks for repporting the bullet bug. To make demons stop climbing/droping from high floors, just remove the MaxDropOffHeight and MaxStepOffHeight lines from the "DEMONS" lump.

@ Processingcontrol : Hey, it's still WIP, for now I have only fatalities for Imps, Zombies, Demons, Revenants, Cacodemons, and Lost Souls, but I gradualy adds new fatalities for the remaining monster. As example, in 0.6 (The first version featuring fatalities) you could only rip and tear zombiemen, shotgunners, and imps. Don't worry, in the future versions you will be able to RIP AND TEAR the Cyber's guts BECAUSE HE GOT BIG GUTS! RIP AND TEAR!!!

@walter confalonieri: If you don't like the fatalities, just don't use them. If you use the fists' Alt-fire to kill a monster while in Berserk, it will simply gib him without executing the fatality. Maybe I should have mentioned this in the .txt file.

If I recall playing through E1M4, the demons on the right in the corridor east after opening the blue door were stuck for some reason.

Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

Thanks for all comments. For those who doesn't likes using Skulltag, I hosted a GZdoom/ZDoom-friendly version. Check the first post for download.

@walter confalonieri: If you don't like the fatalities, just don't use them. If you use the fists' Alt-fire to kill a monster while in Berserk, it will simply gib him without executing the fatality. Maybe I should have mentioned this in the .txt file.

ok, thanks.

In some of the classic IWAD levels, demons are stuck together (E1M4 and E2M6 for example) and the barons sprite goes right through the ceiling of 64 height sections of maps (E2M5, E2M6)

Mr. Chris said:

In some of the classic IWAD levels, demons are stuck together (E1M4 and E2M6 for example) and the barons sprite goes right through the ceiling of 64 height sections of maps (E2M5, E2M6)

The ones on E2M6 aren't related to this mod; they are that way normally.

The Barron/Hell Knight bad guys aren't as tall as their sprites imply.

I see, tho the baron's heads don't completely go through the ceiling as they were for me. Their head is usually partly but it was completely through the ceiling.

Ahh, this explains..their scaling is 1.1, 10% taller.

I have the Zdoom & the legacy launcher, but being sort of new to all this modding, how does one get it to load up in either launcher?

I keep getting a error message reading "No WAD found"

What is the proper way to load this?

Thanks,
Z

Zytx said:

I have the Zdoom & the legacy launcher

Try Skulltag. The source port (One of) the mod was designed for... :)

I guess I haven't bothered trying it for Zdoom or GZdoom but he did say he is working on compatibility with those.

Zytx said:

I have the Zdoom & the legacy launcher, but being sort of new to all this modding, how does one get it to load up in either launcher?

I keep getting a error message reading "No WAD found"

What is the proper way to load this?

Thanks,
Z

Make sure you have an IWAD in the ZDoom folder.Also,search for ZDL31.Easiest way to load wads,ever.

heh, nice. at first i didn't find it that special, but the more i play it, the better it gets ;)

Hopefully in 0.9 or 0.81(or whatever bugfix version is next) will reinstate the imp's, the zombie commando's and player's gib frames. Also I don't think the plasma rifle shouldn't always gib the smaller monsters, as I'll bet seeing some modified normal but charred variations for them, same for demon who gibs into a human slop mess.