Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Qaatar

First exit demos and first recording attempts

Note by Grazza:

Welcome to the first recording attempts thread.

This is the thread to show how you have attempted recording on a map for the first time, possibly with fairly limited knowledge of the map. These demos can be entertaining as they show the player struggling with the map, rather than dominating it due to a lot of practice and a highly evolved route worked out in great detail.

This thread can also be the home for early first exits.

Highly polished recordings (even if technically first exits - e.g. "first exit after 600 attempts"!) should be placed in their appropriate threads, and recordings made without any previous knowledge of the map (FDAs) should go in the first attempt demos thread.

Please do not spam this thread with random demos that you intend to improve immediately. People are less likely to watch your eventual successful demo that you are completely happy with if they have already watched a number of very similar demos.

Now back to the original post:

-------------------------------------------------------

Picked the same map number I maxed in pl2 for PRCP. Yes Phml, I care about what you think of me. :DDDD

On a more serious note, amazing map!

Edit: Including a first exit demo. Linedef at the end isn't triggered easily, so could be fixed.

prcp12-345.zip

Thanks for watching. :)

Qaatar said:

Including a first exit demo.

prcp12-345.txt said:

Included is my FDA.

So what is it?

Memfis said:

Thanks for watching. :)

So what is it?

I'm confused - did you open the zip file? Think it has both files in there? I originally only uploaded the FDA, but then recorded a first exit demo shortly thereafter, so I edited my post to include both, as the first exit also showcases a linedef problem.

Oh, I think I understand what is going on. My definition of FDA is "recording of PLAYING the map for the first time". Yours is "RECORDING on the map for the first time, possibly with prior knowledge". Right?

But even then I don't understand why you call "prcp12-345.lmp" a first exit, when player exits on "fdamap12.lmp" too.

Memfis said:

Oh, I think I understand what is going on. My definition of FDA is "recording of PLAYING the map FOR THE FIRST TIME". Yours is "recording on the map for the first time, possibly with prior knowledge". Right?

But even then I don't understand why you call "prcp12-345.lmp" a first exit, when player exits on "fdamap12.lmp" too.

I suppose it's a FRA (had this discussion before with Grazza), as I did take a quick look of the map on DB2 before recording. Then again, I technically didn't "play" the map at all, so I don't know what definitions to use. I've stopped being so anally retentive with regards to technical definitions, so I just stuck with FDA, but feel free to disagree. I don't play cautiously at all, and my normal playing is exactly like a speedrun - sometimes even more aggressive. This map is pretty sraightforward, and everything is pretty intuitive, so there was no wandering around aimlessly.

The first exit is called as such, because it refers to the demo itself being a first exit UV-Max demo. The FDA demo I included wasn't a valid UV-Max demo (don't think I killed the chaingunner at the end).

@ Hitherto, I suppose I was being misleading, and should have labeled the demo as "FRA," since I did take a quick gander on DB2 to just get a general feel of the map itself. I hate playing blindly, so there was a bit of prior knowledge.

Qaatar said:

I hate playing blindly, so there was a bit of prior knowledge.

You dissapointed me. :|

Cool idea, I even tend to prefer "achievement" demos over optimizations lately, as they are more spontaneous, less rehearsed and not so nit-picky. FDAs that end up being first exits on really hard maps are rather awesome, for one, like Heretic's D2reload map29 demo.

Just another silly ancient LMP, posted for some little entertainment and NOT for uploading to DSDA. It's a NM100S for one of my favorite IWAD levels, TNT-20. Done with Doom2.exe, desyncs with Final Doom.

Time is not good (should be under 4:00), because of not-so-good skills I had in 2007. I leave improving it to someone else. Feel free to skip waiting for the plasma rifle, as this weapon is not necessary.

es20-437.zip

So beating current record by over 3 minutes is not worthy? :P

I'm glad I'm not infected with this perfectionist syndrome, haha.

SAV88 said:

NOT for uploading to DSDA.

...so that people can record on that map only to discover that a faster demo exists? Or remember that it exists somewhere - just where? Finding this demo with a forum search won't be easy.