Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Unholypimpin

Doom2 Meets Zdoom(d2mzd) WIP -- (a doom2 remake wad)-- 14 map demo release!

THIS WAD IS 40% DONE

Hey all I would like to show you all my new project.
I know i'm new to this forum, but im not new to doom or other doom related forums.

PUBLIC 13 MAP DEMO LINK http://www.mediafire.com/?3j18anao6di2ayt

================================================================
follow me on twitter at @DougChurchillz to get more updates on d2mzd or my other projects
================================================================
anyways this will be a doom2 remake wad where all maps will be built from scratch. The maps will be similar in style and layout, but still feel fresh and surprizing so you dont feel like you know exactly how the map will start and end.

The maps will obviously have more detail than the originals and have zdoom features like slopes n such.
There will be a few custom monsters, but there will be no plans to have custom weapons unless maby in secret maps.

I shall be releasing a demo/alpha after 5 maps are completed, then another alpha after 15 maps then after 32 maps.
============================
map done so far
-map01 100% -alwaysdoomed
-map02 100% -alwaysdoomed
-map03 100% -alwaysdoomed
-map04 100% -alwaysdoomed
-map05 100% -alwaysdoomed
-map06 100% -alwaysdoomed
-map07 100% -alwaysdoomed
-map08 100% -Pottus
-map09 100% -Pottus
-map10 100% -Pottus
-map11 100% -Pottus
-map12 TBA -Pottus
-map31 100% -Pottus
-map32 100% -Pottus
===========================

heres some progress screenshots.

=====================================================================

gameplay video

list of contributers
====================
-AlwaysDoomed(project manager,mapper)
-Pottus(map detailer)
-NZ_Reaper(quality control,tester)
-The_Afrit(quality control,tester)
-Rambosee (tester)
-PRIMEVAL (tester)
=====================
if you would like to contribute in anyway, if its mapping testing or graphic,sound then feel free to tell me.

Wait, I thought this was going to be released after Thy Flesh ZDoomed!

Anyways, I see a bit of mixed quality in the shots up there. Those sloped pipes in shot 3 are particularly awkward. The computers in shot 2 need to be moved so they don't cut into the TEKGREN so oddly. I do like the visuals in shot 4, though!

Also, I watched the gameplay video. My god, make that moving platform a normal lift, man.

<<Wait, I thought this was going to be released after Thy Flesh ZDoomed!>>

Well idk if senior mappers were planning on remaking all doom2 maps after doom1 maps but this is my attempt at it.

The lift has already been made faster now, but isnt reflected in the video i provided.

Ill go and fix the computer terminals in screenshot two.

the pipes are actually part of a light but i will probably remove that.

Thanks for the feedback Snakes, much appriciated.

This looks nice, but it doesn't seem like that many Zdoom features are being used. All I saw were slopes and disappearing enemies.

I'm not really into projects based on 'modernizing' old maps; KDiZD only held my interest because I'm so fond of E1 in general. With that said, I like the fact that you're rebuilding them from the ground up, rather than just adding stuff on top of the original maps.

I hope it comes together nicely and proves my dislike of such projects to be misguided. :P

walter confalonieri said:

it's you again, and you're into doomworld! oh boy!
anyway i made something for this project ages ago:

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=15120

Must of been another doom2 remake wad because i dont recall anyone taking up map22.

The maps will feel similar to the doom2 maps and have some familiar areas, but that being said the maps will also play differantly so people dont get bord knowning how things will start and end.

I like the mapping style I see, what with columns and silver wrapping around building borders (shot 4). Keep at it man

The design looks a little forced to me. Otherwise empty rooms with a light on the ceiling, some wall decals (which aren't fitting the textures) and some borders. More actual architecture akin to shot 4 will also open more gameplay options.

idk if it is the angle of the shots (1 and 2) but the ceiling light texture is cutting off a bit too close to the "bulbs" imo.
other than that and the things already mentioned this looks good.
i didn't watch the video, but there are stealth monsters in it?
i hate those. they feel contrived.

nope theres no stealthed monsters cept a few ghosts that are translucent.

map01 is still wip so suggestions are totally open.

Anyone willing to become a tester to help me out even more?

I just realized that I started a semi-reimagined ZDoom version of MAP04 a few months ago, but never made more than a few rooms before abandoning it in my projects directory. I'll try to finish and polish it up a bit, and if it works out, then you can use it for your project (assuming nobody else has already done MAP04).

Mithran Denizen said:

I just realized that I started a semi-reimagined ZDoom version of MAP04 a few months ago, but never made more than a few rooms before abandoning it in my projects directory. I'll try to finish and polish it up a bit, and if it works out, then you can use it for your project (assuming nobody else has already done MAP04).

ya noone has taken map04 as of yet, so go ahead man. Keep in touch

Hehe redoom.wad will be a big failure to this :P.

Really awesome! Keep it up!

Well, I don't know how much of a "DOOM II remake" vibe I get from that video, since it seems like more of just some random techbase map than Entryway, but it still looks pretty good, and it's nice to see someone actually trying to remake DOOM II, for once.

Just don't forget to make a million winding hallways leading to a thousand random switches that don't produce any obvious results when you click them. It's important for any ZDoom remake set.

Ya map01 turned out to be more familiar map layout wise then room wise, eventhough the old secrets are still there and the outside area with the shotgun. map01 will end in relation to how map02 begins, so it kind of looks like a continuation almost.

I always really like those mapsets where there's connectivity between the maps like that. I encourage that sort of idea.

Taken by itself, Map01 looks like a nice map, though some areas seemed a bit too large (the green corridor seemed notably too wide for instance).

Though unlike KDIZD, I'm not really getting the "vibe" (well maybe a bit, but certainly not as much as KDIZD) of the original map. Perhaps because you've introduced a large number of things the original Map01 didn't have. Theres obviously nothing wrong with introducing some things earlier, but I personally think you've taken it too far.

Also, to agree with a previous comment in this thread, an out of place new enemy (it might be better suited for something creepier and should make a more dramatic first appearance than just standing around in the middle of a room like the zombies ) and a couple of unneeded decorative ceiling slopes isn't enough use of a ports features in my opinion, to make it port specific.

I generally agree with what Vermil said. The rooms are really huge, in stark contrast to the tiny, original Map 01, and the green hallway is especially large and empty. And the "shadow marine," or whatever that was, could be better put to use somewhere darker and more cramped. But, then again, I'm no mapping expert.

Cool. I have been working on a mod called Return to Earth to remake Doom's 32 levels, and so far me and my team have finished 6 maps. I would give a help if I still didn't had started that project, but I can help you with testing beta releases, and giving you some mapping tips.

I see one very important Zdoom feature missing here: Skyboxes. You know, make a moving sky that doesnt gets fucked up when you look at it in OpenGL mode. I can make one for you, if you want.

i actually just started adding skyboxes to the maps iv finished and are working on.

theres the skybox iv been useing so far, it has city buildings in the forground and mountains in the background and a scrolling sky above.

tell me what you think.

If you wanna be a tester, then create a profile on the site i made for testers. it has an old working version of map01 fully playable, however i still got alot to fix with it.

From the posted screenshot, I have to say that skybox looks horrid, in my opinion. Aside from that, it looks a tad out of place, since MAP01's sky was cloudy, rather than a cityscape. Perhaps it looks better in game, though.

Any chance you'll post public access to the maps, or grant access to your forum? I might be mildly inclined to test or contribute to your project, but not if I have to register at your forum. Your screenshots and video are nice and everything, but they're not really a lot of material to work with.

Edit: Also, the MAP04 I've been working on has some newer features from the SVN versions of ZDoom, such 3D floors & voxel models. What version (if any?) are you targeting?

well this project is for zdoom hence the name of the project =P

If you really want to check out map01 send me a pm and ill go and send you the link.

Ill add you to the list Rambosee, and i should have a testable version ready in 2 days, or whenever map03 is done which will be soon.

Alwaysdoomed said:

well this project is for zdoom hence the name of the project =P

Yeah, but what version of ZDoom are you planning to release it for, and what features are being used?

From the screenshots and video, I noticed slopes, DECORATE monsters, and a skybox. The map I'm working on has other stuff like transfer effects, 3D floors, mild ACS work, voxel models, etc., some of which aren't available yet in the official version of ZDoom.

Alwaysdoomed said:

Ill add you to the list Rambosee, and i should have a testable version ready in 2 days, or whenever map03 is done which will be soon.

Got it, send it to me when ready. During my breaks off of mapping I'll test and give feedback. Question, do I test it for all difficulties or just UV?