Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Okuplok

Speed of Doom demos [-complevel 9]

Wow, nifty trick with the cybie! I had to watch the demo twice before figuring out what the hell happened to him, lol.

It's fun to see how optimized this map can be...I'm thinking 3:30 is possible with more polish?

Qaatar said:

Wow, nifty trick with the cybie! I had to watch the demo twice before figuring out what the hell happened to him, lol.

It's fun to see how optimized this map can be...I'm thinking 3:30 is possible with more polish?

I agree. I lol'd at this demo heartily. Great exploitation here :-). I've never really thought of this to happen, but I'm glad it's actually possible! Great stuff, my expectation of how optimised the map could've been has been broken several times; that's like a mapper's dream :P (especially since the map itself is one of my personal favourites).

Joshy and Qaatar, Thank a lot!

Qaatar said:

I didn't spent enough time for this map, so I don't know it exactly, but I also think 3:30 is possible.

two fresh demos and two half year olds. :)

map02 uv-speed in 0:13
map05 uv-speed in 0:56
map06 uv-speed in 0:52
map08 uv-speed/pacifist in 0:30

sodsp-dew2.zip

Map 19 UV-Max in 3:10

Just wanted to optimize Tatsurd's first exit. Got nervous and a bit discombobulated at the end, or I likely would have ended up with a 3:0x. Anyways, 2:5x is certainly possible, but after trying for a couple more days, I'm giving up. Anyone up to the challenge? :)

Edit: Reuploaded to indicate that I used the hud.

sd19-310.zip

I was sure that you can pull out a good improvement over Tatsurd's first exit, but 3:10 really exceeded my expectations. Now it's what can be called "Speed of Doom"!

Qaatar said in the textfile:
Quite certain 2:5x is possible, if one goes at this the way SAV88 does in his demos.

Qaatar said:

Anyone up to the challenge? :)

Yes, it should be a real challenge. Don't know what is harder -- pushing SD19 below 3:00 or, for instance, pushing Doom2 MAP29 below 3:55. Haven't tried either of them seriously, but I'll leave this great 3:10 record to you. Currently I'm working on destroying the Max record for Scythe map called "Hell on Earth".

SAV88 said:

Yes, it should be a real challenge. Don't know what is harder -- pushing SD19 below 3:00 or, for instance, pushing Doom2 MAP29 below 3:55. Haven't tried either of them seriously, but I'll leave this great 3:10 record to you. Currently I'm working on destroying the Max record for Scythe map called "Hell on Earth".

Have no compunctions about beating my shit...I always like fresh Maxes.

Btw...why are you going after ToD so hard? :) Trying to push him out of the Scythe tables completely? LOL

Edit: Quite sure Map 29 is much more difficult, since it requires a much higher level of movement efficiency for those ledges and narrow pathways. Sod Map 19 is really just about maximizing infights and shot accuracy.

map07 uv-speed in 1:00

joshy. when you burn in hell, there will be ten thousand hundred billion chaingunners shooting at you for all eternity.

sd07-100.zip

map12 uv-max in 6:12

a riskier strategy to tatsurd's and a silly trick to save a lot of time in the final fight. i won't spoil it here. :)
i just saw on dsda aconyx recorded on this map as well... sorry, it wasn't intentional.

sd12-612.zip

map21 uv-speed in 0:40
map22 uv-pacifist in 0:28
map30 uv-speed in 2:58 (ugh)

now only the most hardcore speedruns remain undone... i nearly got 18 and 26 with trick exits, so i'm positive i can do them with enough grinding. 27 shouldn't be that hard to do (only a lot) and 17 might be reasonably possible with time sacrifices. 24 isn't that hard, it's just scary and slow, more suited for adventurous players, heh. that'd leave 25, which is as crazy as scythe2 map25 (the one still without a uv-speed entry), and 28, which... i won't even comment.

sodsp-dew3.zip

jesus some of the demo up here let me think I should be more patient and more focused in my playing
less maps, and more "optimaxxed" eheh
great job to all of you up there fellows ;o

I haven't finished this megawad yet (and I prefer just to watch demos for levels I've already beaten) but I've been watching the demos for the early maps by tatsurd and dew, and I've gotta say that I like what I see.

That level is a bitch to survive, you did well to equal Tatsurd's time; his map 01 demos are always well-optimized. Do you think you could have saved a second in the rk room near the end by utilizing those barrels on the cacodemons?

Yep, I probably could. I noticed it immediately when I played it back, dunno what was I thinking during recording.