Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SonidoSpeed

your worst speedrun fumbles

remember that time where you try so HARD to finish that one level? each time you beat it with no saves on a certain mode that you REALLY feel the need to spontaneously combust from the sheer excitement of it? (hopefully that won't happen but moving on)

but then out of NOWHERE there was this revenant's persistent fireball plucking the back of your head at the finish line or a imp getting the LUCKIEST damage hit on you? or just some hitscanners fucking your shit up at the worst time to decrease your performance and speed to prevent failure?

just a small amount of my failures:

- Map 30 Pl2.wad NM100S% = a rocket of a cyberdemon hit me in mid-air while i was one away from killing the boss.

- map 32 plutonia NM-speed = while trying to glide, a cyber LITERALLY blasted me through the gates and, albeit helping me was the equivalent of a lever launching a pinball into action, the other 3 cybers being the bumpers.

- Chord3.wad UV-max= last minute revive from an archvile managed to actually spawn a chain-gunner fast enough to drain 85% of my health in mid range AT THE EXIT

- seer.wad UV-max = at the end with the revenant spam, one launched a rocket that did the most sharpest turn i have ever seen; seemingly sr40ing through the hallways and land a 80 hp strike. RQ followed

- map 02 DV.wad NM-speed = ONE SECOND from beating creaphis's record, and somehow the cyber aimed ahead of me (no P.I orb mind you) to the exit and the blast of course made me fail the run horribly...

- map 20 pl2.wad UV-max = the last archvile sped out to the open and somehow survived my BFG shot, effectively killing me before i could have exited with a record of my own.

- sunder map 08 uv-max = got to love the last room, enough said. involves a cyberdemon insta-aggro out of telespace the second i was trying to sr40 around it.

award for biggest epic failure:

- Doom E4M2 UV-max = while trying to teleport, or basically straferunning into a teleporter, in MID-AIR a lost soul tackles me, and with me having no armor and 18% health, it basically ended my run, though my corpse made it into the telefragger for the cyberdemon (LOL, but still....FFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUU)

so, have my own fellow doomers partaken in my own misfortune as of late? or at least a good moderate amount of times that questioned your sanity throughout your time of dooming?

I remember one level I was doing, I think map 16 of Speed of Doom, I got to the last room with the elevator at like 50 seconds or something and had like 30 health and was equipped with the rocket launcher. Well anyway, I defeated the two arch-viles in the elevator, and in the heat of the moment i forgot which button I bound to "use" and just fired a rocket at point blank range into the door to the exit instantly killing myself. lol. Would've had like 56-7 seconds or something. Got it later though. This is my only record to my knowledge, and not sure it still is the record.

AV map12 - 1st run, after getting the secret BFG, I returns to the large techbase hall. And while I was going up the stairs, 2 barons block me. I shoot and shoot, then die.....

AV map18 - At the large spider hall, after finishing the 2 Spider Mastermind with the BFG, I kill the barons with the rocket. And suddenly, spiders beside me shoot me, when I noticed, I died.......

PL2 map31 - When BFG the 6th Cyberdemon, I got hit 2 times. 2nd time I died, and the cyberdemon got killed also.

SOD map31 - I kill myself with a rocket launcher while shooting the revenants in the 2nd open door area with yellow key.

Killing Adventure map 6 - When I shoot that cacodemon, the crusher lowers down and I was crushed to death.

For me, it's very common to screw up a promising attempt by getting instantly smashed by some angry crowd (while having over 100% health), or by doing some misbalanced moves/shots which ruin the flow of my performance.

I can't remember all my uncountable hundreds of "epic fails" before an exit (or elsewhere far in a run), and I'm used to see them as nothing unusual. When losing a "great run" in such a way, I know that I can perform many more "great runs" in further attempts.

One of my memorable fails: I was more than fully healthy when going to the red key in the HR MAP16 Nightmare run, but died a silly death after getting ridiculously blocked by "infinitely tall" arachnotrons. You can see it in "hn16damn.lmp", included in my HN16-254 zipfile.

I once ran straight into a cybie rocket 30 minutes in in a max attempt that was going well. I don't mean "accidentally". I saw the rocket coming towards me from a long range, and I started running forward, right into it. To this day I still don't know what prompted me to do this, my brain just went weird for a moment.

Phml said:

I still don't know what prompted me to do this, my brain just went weird for a moment.

You're preaching to the choir with that statement there good sir. i have had runs get derped from such mistakes that makes me headbang a wall minus the musical touch, due to records being lost to me so easily from that ordeal. so many, but 3 will do.

UAC ultra map 05 UV-max = for some odd reason i figured there was enough strafe room to get around the arachnotron. and also it somehow opens the door (how them, cacos, and lost souls do that is beyond me) and releases two barons. whilst the arachnotron still cruising around it walked to a corner and got me stuck while the baron gave me a claw massage. should know better that 20- units is not passable.

deus vult map 02 UV-max = i still kick myself to this day for this.
being me, i didn't grab enough ammo to utilize at the gate and the mastermind at the end of the opposite corridor was "Guarding" the other cell packs. HAVING 40 ROCKETS LEFT, i charged down the corridor and needless to say i was swiss at the end.

Speed of doom map 18 UV-speed = Remember that memorable compendium of doom tricks dew did? the one that probably doomers grew hairs on their chest for watching all those tricks in one run? yeah, being 4 seconds ahead of him (i glide REALLY fast, being my specialty), i shot the cyberdemon that was supposed to teleport because it somehow went to sleep. of course, in that instant i was soup. FFFFFFFFFFFFF!

EDIT: what level was you talking about per se phml? a slaughter wad perhaps?

SonidoSpeed said:

while trying to glide, a cyber LITERALLY blasted me through the gates

Amazing! What port was it?

Never_Again said:

Amazing! What port was it?

GLboom: also as an added bonus i can have at you the demo as a bonus.

just imagine it in nightmare and the front cyber starting a chain of handball with me.

and how do you placea demo again? i did it before but what the heck?

You can attach files only in the demos forum. This thread is appropriate for your demo, I think.

Can't wait to see it :)

As for my demo failures, I usually don't remember them. I prefer to remember the most lucky moments instead, like the ending of my UV-Speed on Requiem MAP31. That was awesome. :)

a demo of a cyber giving me tough love about my cause for gliding in my earlier attempts at getting the UV-speed WR for this map. just for some comedy.

EDIT: Map 32 of Go 4 it in Pl2.wad

Port - GLboom of course

a demo of a cyber giving me tough love about my cause for gliding in my earlier attempts at getting the UV-speed WR for this map. just for some comedy.

EDIT: Map 32 of Go 4 it in Pl2.wad

Port - GLboom of course

Edit: Sorry memphis....

lol.zip

I've moved this thread to the correct forum, so now demos can be posted as attachments, and I've merged the relevant posts into it.

Phml said:

I once ran straight into a cybie rocket 30 minutes in in a max attempt that was going well. I don't mean "accidentally". I saw the rocket coming towards me from a long range, and I started running forward, right into it. To this day I still don't know what prompted me to do this, my brain just went weird for a moment.

i knowwwww... my speciality is eating manco fireballs like pacman dots, but rockets are attractive as well. gotta catch 'em all, there's something mesmerizing in the way they close in on you.

here's a fumble on map15 of pl2 e2 uv-speed attempt. it's the easiest av jump ever, but the av was being a dick and took a while to attack. meanwhile PEs assembled and one of them released a cockblocking skull that blocked me like 1 unit from safety.

p2e2xx15.zip

ninadobrev.wad
every... fucking... run... is like this. Last time fat reverents stood in front of a vile, and the vile was aiming at me WITHOUT SHOWING ANY VISIBLE FLAMES. The reverent moves, then BLAMO, thanks for the warning ass-nuts!
Or there's all these enemies surrounding a cyber. You're trying to get that fatty to infight while shooting some enemies yourself, so you shoot one rocket... and it goes right through every possible crevice in the horde and hits the cyber! Now he's angry at YOU and comes out of the enclosure infighting no one.
Or you run backwards firing rockets at distant enemies. Seriously like 3 times in a row a reverent or some ass hat runs around you, from behind just to splash damage your face ON PURPOSE!
Then there's auto aim. You have 2 fat viles in front of you and shoot the bfg. Auto aim targets on your own nuts and both viles live.
There's a line of imps in front of you, you fire the ssg directly at the first imp's face. He takes 0.01 damage, and maybe some imp in the very back somehow dies or something instead. Meanwhile 8 reverent missiles hit you because that fat ass imp in the front is blocking you.
The whole game is like this. It was made by very evil programmers for people who want to get stressed. Sometimes I stare up into space grinning maniacally, trying to pull off my own fingers so I don't have to play any more.

"revenant spam, one launched a rocket that did the most sharpest turn i have ever seen"
yep, one on some stairs above me did that

"the cyber aimed ahead of me (no P.I orb mind you)"
yep, enemies aim where I'm GONNA go half the time, especially cybers who practically have homing rockets. Their 'excuse' is that they were infighting. See? I'm infighting a caco, OH HE DIED AND THE LAST ROCKET HIT YOU IN THE FOREHEAD, what a coincidence!

"archvile sped out to the open and somehow survived my BFG shot"
They survive bfgs right and left for me. I think they cast anti bfg spells or something.

"but rockets are attractive as well. gotta catch 'em all, there's something mesmerizing in the way they close in on you."
maybe cuz they're so camouflaged as brown when the majority of textures are brown. If cyber rockets were bright orange or something they'd be a lot easier.

derp

Spending a week with sunder while actually beating okuplok's time by minute, but one monster (one out of a bunch of thousands) teleports too late.

YEAH, TOP THAT!!!!!!1!

Andy must have had a funny when he was adding that "UV-Max attempt. Misses one monster." line.

su103949.zip

EDIT: what level was you talking about per se phml? a slaughter wad perhaps?

I was thinking of Phmlspd Map13 (selfpromotion ahoy), but rereading my post about it, it was actually running into a stack of revenant fireballs rather than a cybie rocket.

What still gives me nightmares is the suicide exit of Scythe 2 Map25. I think I died there 3 or 4 times before I got my 1st exit. Oh, that rocket shot was nerv-racking every time...

What's also 'fun': to teleport near -fast Cyberdemons while they are aiming at you (which means almost certain death). This happened quite a lot in HR2 Map14.

And in HR2 Map27 as well, IIRC. I'd love to see my -fast record on that map improved btw. I tried it a lot but never managed to get another exit. 15 minutes would be nice for a start.

The failure I mentioned here was fairly memorable:

I had one promising attempt ruined when the cat started asking loudly to be fed. I found it remarkably hard to concentrate on punching two barons while trying to ignore the pitiful wails of a hungry cat.

With hindsight, one of my most annoying should have been on Henry map04. On pretty much my first recording attempt I got near the exit but died when charging into the lost soul at the exit, attempting to press the switch through it. It was many hundreds of attempts later that I got that far again, though I wasn't to know that at the time.

I'm sure if Kristian drops by this thread, he will mention his miscue on 2sectors map14, where he was holding the RL and pressed fire instead of use when he reached the exit switch. It appears as 2s14heh.lmp in the 2sectors demopack.

Some more are mentioned in this post and replies to it.

*killed by a safety trigger*

You switch to the rocket launcher (or bfg) and start holding down the fire key. Chances are the screen will be filled with yellow vile flames like usual, so you assume you're firing even though you can't see.. but no.. doomidiot forgot to take the safety off. Still happens to me despite tapping the key like 3 times each time I switch to those guns.

*killed by a trampoline wall*

You nudge a wall and some weird vertex propels you in the opposite direction into something you were trying to avoid.

I can't count the number of times I've had the rocket launcher out, pushed ctrl down, and switched weapons... Only, y'know, the fucking thing never did fire. When I was going for Scythe MAP09, this almost always happened with the imps by the yellow key. Drove me insane.

Oh, and I forgot: I missed an imp on Scythe MAP11 with a 1:38 final time. I just don't care enough to try and replicate it, though.

Hitting Q near the end of a long run. I have done this in decent 30nm attempts. Luckily that attempt wasn't relevant so no biggie now, but at the time it was fairly annoying.

I physically remove this dangerous key from the board for long recordings. Usually, but not always :/

Snakes said:

Scythe MAP11 with a 1:38 final time.

Heh :) I should retry this map

One time while attempting a ty29 run I had reached the battle with the cyberdemon, and after running out of bullets I intended to switch to fist but pressed q instead.