Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Z0k

Question about Ultimate Freedoom

Hi everyone long time i dont loged since my submission of map 15 and map 28. actually working on E1M5 for ultimate freedoom. my question is about ultimate freedoom

i dont know what happened with the version of freedoom "demo" (i mean only the ep1 like DooM) i guess was remove since we have the "ultimate Freedoom"

Just for being curious actually i have just 35% of the map done because i have the idea of "surround" the base adding some exterior parts to walk and give the player some ways to end the level (but this will take more time)

so my question is the next one for experienced people:

do you think guys i have to limit to put monsters exclusive from EP1? (i mean the doom equivalent in freedoom: zombie, shotgunner, imp, demon and spectre).

I'm not sure if there's any official position either way regarding monster types, but I think you should stick to the standard E1 monsters for E1M5; all the other Freedoom Episode 1 maps restrict themselves to the those monsters, and your map would stick out like a sore thumb if it didn't follow the trend.

oh youre right i forgot that thing about other maps. well i think im going to spent more time about how to place monsters to make a bit interesting the map.

Thanks for your point.

The demo hasn't been lost!
Anyway, on subject, i think restrict it to ep1 monsters.

Removing the "demo"/"shareware" version of Freedoom has been discussed but it's never been done. Actually it's a bit easier to just leave it in than to remove it. (It'd be pretty easy to get rid of it anyway, but nothing is really gained from it)

Also weapons introduced should follow the normal progression.

For E1M5: suggest shotguns, chaingun,
introduce rocket launcher as new weapon,
but not plasma, and not BFG.

(I did not check what UltDoom had, so I this my adhoc feeling, to introduce consideration of the topic)

See:
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/freedoom/54104-which-maps-introduce-new-weapons/

I think there is a progression of introduced concepts throughout each game.
New players are not subjected to any complicated puzzles, nasty traps, or hard-to-win stuff until the later levels.
The early levels are somewhat introductory.
Don't want to make the game look too-hard-to-play in the early levels.

My question goes just respect to the enemies (thanks to the people who light me with their wisdom) but about weapons i have already placed them and i dont place any BFG or Plasma Gun. being the rocket launcher the only weapon to get as secret. leaving the others get in a common way.

Puzzles? i doubt it the only thing im going to do with E1M5 is giving it many ways to walktrought the Base leaving to the player choose the path he want to finish the level or explore completely the map. No head- breaking puzzles.

I never do complicated levels in early stages but i always keep on mind that the first levels are just to call the attention of the player and show it how is the game. i have some years mapping but never release my maps on public (since i never finish my projects. i just working on one and later im start thinking on a new one leaving the other without being complete).

Just saying and thanks. :)

The shareware build is actually a big pain to maintain, because the levels for it have to be carefully constructed to only use a subset of the full set of textures, and the specific weapons that are available in the Doom shareware IWAD.