Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Blastfrog

Sodaholic's new chainsaw

New:

Old:

Just made this this afternoon. Never mind that I have skinny, pale hands, I will edit this to look more like Doomguy's hands later.

Is this a good replacement for the chainsaw?

EDIT: Updated with new version.

I have to say I prefer the circular saw. Even if it were cleaned up, this is the exact same concept as the original weapon. The circular saw fits with the weapon concept nicely but does something different with it.

If you happen to have a big, scary circular saw you could try digitizing that, though...

david_a said:
this is the exact same concept as the original weapon.

I don't get it. What is with people wanting to change everything from the original Doom? Hey, I know! Let's replace the pistol with a star wars blaster, replace the fist with a lightsaber/dagger mix, the shotgun with some futuristic rifle, the super shotgun into some sound based weapon, the rocket launcher into a shoulder mounted bazooka, the plasma rifle into a magic wand, and the bfg into a death ray! All for the sake of changing things! While we're at it, let's turn the zombies into rabbits with guns, the imps into armored flemoids, make the arch-vile use electricity instead of fire for it's attack, the cacodemon into Robotnik in his flying pod with a missile launcher, and the cyberdemon into a huge mech!

This is Doom, not a TC, why does everything need to be different?

Some of the stuff in the huge string of strawman examples you provided would clearly be copyright violations, which I assume you understand. This attempt to adhere to copyright law is also part of the reason that Freedoom intentionally diverges from the original in many ways.

Freedoom is certainly NOT Doom, as you claimed, and is in a sense one of few projects that is aiming to be a true total conversion of all the resources found in the original game. Nobody is 'changing' anything from the original Doom, because Freedoom shouldn't actually be reusing anything from the original in the first place, but rather recreating it independently. As part of this process, I think the assets should be distinct from the originals as much as possible while retaining coherency.

Trying to completely emulate everything from Doom will only result in having a subpar copy of Doom at best, while a little bit of inventiveness can allow Freedoom to be a Doom(2) compatible IWAD that is actually interesting in its own right.

In any case, look at all the work done for Freedoom so far; how much is actually 1:1 visually comparable to the original game's resources? Aside from textures* (most of which are still distinctively their own style), and perhaps some of the props, not much. The only enemies that are even close to their counterparts are the lost soul, and maybe the zombies and arachnotron. The revenant is a giant black elf; the demon is a worm; the Baron of Hell is a walking blob of semen. I don't think changing the chainsaw to a circular saw is really that big, in comparison.

* [Textures have a need to be closer to the original than the weapon or enemy sprites, as the maps designed for Doom will look thoroughly shittier with widely diverging textures than they will with widely diverging monsters/weapons.]

Instead of a new chainsaw, since the blade is rather cool, maybe a new Revenant, or some other things. Yah, the revenant

Sodahollic said:

Let's replace the pistol with a star wars blaster, replace the fist with a lightsaber/dagger mix, the shotgun with some futuristic rifle, the super shotgun into some sound based weapon, the rocket launcher into a shoulder mounted bazooka, the plasma rifle into a magic wand, and the bfg into a death ray!

While we're at it, let's turn the zombies into rabbits with guns, the imps into armored flemoids, make the arch-vile use electricity instead of fire for it's attack, the cacodemon into Robotnik in his flying pod with a missile launcher, and the cyberdemon into a huge mech!

That sounds like a pretty sweet mod! I'd love to see that... :)

But you do have a good point. If Freedoom goes too far on a tangent, then it becomes an entirely new game rather than something that can faithfully run old PWADS. Well they'll run, it's just that they'll look retarded... Already as it is now, I've noticed some dubious textures that really stand out, in-your-face like. For example, check out the side of the stairs in the first big hall near the start of this medieval castle level:
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=10586

The one thing we do have to stick to, though, is making sure the resources are consistent with what the game calls them - for example, a circular saw is not a "chainsaw" like the pickup message states.

Eventually there will probably be a dehacked added to change certain strings. The saw is awesome enough, I have seen it ripped into a few mods. The saw also has decent matching saw sounds.

WildWeasel said:

The one thing we do have to stick to, though, is making sure the resources are consistent with what the game calls them - for example, a circular saw is not a "chainsaw" like the pickup message states.

Doom's own chaingun is not really a "chaingun" like the pickup message states, either. :P

The chainsaw looks good.
And if the ankle grinder is left, DeHacked is needed!

John Deere tried to copyright the color green. The court finally decided that other tractor manufacturers could paint their tractors a similar green, because the customers liked to have their equipment the same color.

The copyright danger is not a bad as was represented by legal opinion before this decision.
Under music copyright, having a similar song with a few notes difference apparently suffices.
Under software copyright, making a functional equivalent, as long as it is clear the original was not copied, apparently suffices.

As far as I see, both are not copies of the original, nor attempts to counterfeit the original.

The yellow chainsaw should look more dirty, especially around the exhaust ports. Or it could be electric.

What would be the best appearance for a space age chainsaw ??

What is a space port doing with a chainsaw in the first place ???

Some changes would require a different chainsaw sound.

Whatever it is it must function in other PWAD too, as that was one of the FreeDoom intentions.

Hey, I've got an idea!
Lets make the Chaingun a machinegun but use no DEHACKED work!
That's why I think we hould change the chainsaw

Please tell me that you're being sarcastic, cuz if you're not, you failed to get my joke. Badly. And what does changing the chainGUN have to do with changing the chainSAW?

If you were being serious about changing the chaingun, nobody listen to him. That is the stupidest idea ever.

I agree very much with wesleyjohnson on this matter. Although I'd like to say, doom's shotgun wasn't exactly space-age either.

Yes, sarcasm of course!
I'm saying, wouldn't a machinegun suck as chaingun (with no DEHACKED)?
A rotary blade thing would suck as a chainsaw (without dehacked)

New version. How do I add a poll to an existing thread, by the way?

And skib, no offense, but your posts in this thread aren't very helpful.

The arm looks like it belongs to a 80 yr old Golfer.

FIrst we got Dangerous Dave and Commander Keen Skin, now we got 80 yr old Golfer skin. Well now...

That was a relatively useless comment. Can I have some constructive criticism here?

Seriously, how does it look like an "80 year-old golfer's" hands?

Neither the arm nor the glove look close enough to the rest of the weapon sprites. If you can fix this, and nobody else has a problem with replacing the circular saw, I'll stop complaining.

But I still think the current sprites are better for the project, and that the points in my second last post still stand.

Skib, you really shouldn't boss people around like that.

Anyway, I'm going to continue working on this graphic, but I won't bother submitting it here, seeing as everyone wants to keep that stupid-ass sawblade.

Sodahollic said:

Skib, you really shouldn't boss people around like that.

Anyway, I'm going to continue working on this graphic, but I won't bother submitting it here, seeing as everyone wants to keep that stupid-ass sawblade.

Hey, don't say that! I like your new chainsaw and it seems that there are several people in this thread that feel the same way. The new version with the improved glove/arm is a big improvement over the first version. I think this has a lot of potential.

My only criticism is that there appear to be some white dots around the saw blade (see my comment in the Archvile thread). Have you tried the sprites in-game yet?

I guess I'll still contribute this then, I was kinda getting the feeling that the majority wanted the old sprites. I actually have tried them ingame (along with some sounds of my own), and it's not bad for a start. Here's a wad file:
http://www.mediafire.com/?kcqhjg3812wdtbd (must be run in a source port that supports pngs, it still looks like crap in the doom palette atm)

And, yes, I'm aware that the sawing frame is missing half the arm and is differently colored. I didn't like the angle the hand was at so I'm going to replace it, and that it why it is missing. The gloves and chainsaw itself are it's original colors too (black gloves and orange chainsaw), because I haven't recolored it yet.

And Skib, my point still stands. Mithran Denizen never attacked me in the first place, so I didn't need to be "defended".

And Skib, my point still stands. Mithran Denizen never attacked me in the first place, so I didn't need to be "defended".

Meh, you knock skib to try and look good with the other blokes.

Either way, there's no law being broken by including a chainsaw in the game, id didn't invent chainsaws.

Doom only costs $10 these days though so Freedom is a kinda weird project, good community thing i guess though.