Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Whoo

TNT 2: Devilution (Texture Pack in OP)

KiiiYiiiKiiiA said:

Thanks essel. :)

Yeah, the visiplane thing has occured to me, but since I got my new system several months back, for some reason I haven't been able to get Chocolate Dooom (and thus chocorenderlimits) working. Something to do with the video settings I am guessing. It loads fine, but then the window straight away minimizes itself, and if I alt-tab back to it, it just instantly minimizes itself again, and I am not actually able to do anything with it.

Try switching the video driver to Windows GDI in chocolate-setup.exe (Display -> Video driver)

Thanks Whoo. Tried this. Didn't work. I just got a black screen of death, then it minimised.

I have discovered that I can run Doom2 ok (The colors are all weird, but I don't mind that, I just need to see the numbers). But as soon as I try to run anything else, even the tnt iwad, then it just fails.

Hmmm.

I'm not sure if it'll help, but the only way I can reliably run Chocolate Doom/Chocorenderlimits on my laptop without periodic crashing and a garbled palette is to keep the 'Settings' tab of the Windows 'Display Properties' window open in the background somewhere, and to then run the game in windowed mode.

If you're running a recent enough version of Chocodoom or Chocorenderlimits, try launching it with the -8in32 parameter added to the command line. This might fix the palette-related issues you're having.

Oh, if it isn't obvious, I kind of quit working on my TNT2 map. I don't think I have the technical skill for this.

Megamur said:

Oh, if it isn't obvious, I kind of quit working on my TNT2 map. I don't think I have the technical skill for this.

Keep practicing and releasing public wads for constructive criticism and you'll eventually get the hang of it. I did that and over the course of about a year I started improving.

Whoo said:

Keep practicing and releasing public wads for constructive criticism and you'll eventually get the hang of it. I did that and over the course of about a year I started improving.

I appreciate your encouragement. Thank you.

I'm still very excited about the project, and if nothing else, I will happily playtest it if an alpha build is ever released. :)

I really hope a lot of people will get to working on this. I'm eager for people to play that egyptian map I made. :P Maybe the Plutonia Revisited team will start joining in on this project (I also have to get around to making another map).

DeathevokatioN said:

Wow, those shots look fucking beautiful Kyka.

Sorry I missed this post entirely. Thanks heaps. :) Although in truth, most of the layout was done by StupidBunny, I have been mostly just retexturing and detailing, though I have added quite a few new areas.

[humble]It will be an awesome map when it is done. :D [/humble]

[edit]
Also:

Looking good! Whenever you get a stable version of the map send it to me and I'll test it with chocorenderlimits.

Heyyy, looking good! I like it with the new thematic styling and detailing...also I'm interested to see what all the new areas are like, and how they come together with everything that's there so far. Nice work, I look forward to playing it.

Some progress on a map I started before school got busy:

I'm surprised that I didn't overdue it in that big room and make a HOM.

esselfortium said:

Looks like a good start, though I feel you may have overdone it just slightly with the floor lamps on the stairs.

Yeah, I wasn't planning on keeping those there. It was just a temporary block so the player doesn't walk off the edge.

The layout and the design looks really good, and captures the TNT thing really well, but I am really not sure on the mix of textures, the overall effect just looks a little random to me in some of the screenies.
[edit] though a lot of the original TNT maps were pretty randomly textured as well, so perhaps i am being a bit harsh. I love the layouts tho, they work really well with that TNT sky.[/edit]

[texture-related rant following]

And speaking of textures, the more time goes on, the more I think that some of those old TNT textures need replacing. Really need replacing. I know we need to keep that 'classic' feel, but that doesn't mean keeping textures that no one will ever use.

I have been playing through Plutonia revisited, and all of the textures in there (Both from the original Plutonia, and some new ones added for that project) look awesome, and those texture choices have just made it so much easier to make levels that capture that Plutonia 'feel'. Every texture is up to modern standards, and at the same time is still a 'classic' texture. Every. Single. One. Now that is pretty good if we could do that instead of having all these useless and unsuitable textures/flats floating around that people won't use.

In short, I think the TNT texture pack we have here needs some work.

There are a bunch of textures that no one is likely to use. Here are a few examples.

You can't tell me people will use these. Also there are the ones with the ugly TNT logo sprayed everywhere. (YELMETAL and BTNTMETL to name a couple of examples). And the original TNT animated textures are generally crap. Many do not tile well.

...Other things...

-essel mentioned somewhere about making those barbed wire pillars so as they don't look dreadful, like they were done in MSPaint. I think that could really use doing.

-making DOORSTOP and SUPPORT2 tile properly. (Good replacements avail in the Doom recolored pack by Nick Baker off realm667 (nb_recol.wad))

-But most of all, the new textures we have, while they are great textures in themselves, are mostly not 'classic' textures. (The 4 new startan-looking textures for example.) They would work much better in a modern project, rather than a vanilla megawad. And don't even get me started on the quake-looking textures. Definitely not a TNT thing.

And as for actual texture/flat replacements? Something simpler. Even just some simple recolors would give so many more options.
(From Nick Baker's recolors off realm667):

From Useful Doom Edits (UDET.wad) off realm667 (seeing as TNT uses so much metal.)

The last two midtextures I think look much more 'Doomy' than the new GRATE1 texture that is in there now, imo

Some flats... (From Fuzzball Fox' Texture Thread.)

Ok, all of these textures/flats may not literally be the ones I would pick, (though I do like some of them), but just throwing out some ideas.

Sorry whoo and everyone, I don't mean to sound like I am complaining, but these are some of my thoughts anyway. I think with just a little work, we could get a texture pack that makes it much easier for mappers to make great tnt-styled vanilla maps.

For the barbed wire, t.v.'s DOBWIRE from the PRCP resources would make a really nice replacement. I'd love to see it included just because I love the texture. :P

Xaser said:

For the barbed wire, t.v.'s DOBWIRE from the PRCP resources would make a really nice replacement. I'd love to see it included just because I love the texture. :P

And I notice you put it to great use in map 15 of PRCP, which was a jaw-dropping map by any standards. My favorite in the mapset so far. Which is no mean feat, coz there isn't a sub-par map in the entire megawad. (Well not in the first 20 maps anyway. Haven't finished the rest yet.)

In truth, it was partly playing through PRCP that moved me from simply thinking about these TNT textures, to actually thinking it was worth posting something about.

Xaser said:

Already replaced that awhile ago (it is from PL2.)

And most of those textures you posted look good, Kyka. I've already done a few recolors, but I could do a few more. In reality editing existing flats/patches isn't that hard, but it is a little time consuming.

Will this be using the TNT music or will it do what Plutonia 2 did and use new music?

Doomsfall said:

Will this be using the TNT music or will it do what Plutonia 2 did and use new music?

It will (hopefully) have entirely new music tracks.

For reference, those were mostly used in the original Evilution as small "on" and "off" lights embedded in walls, most notably in the sludge room of MAP09.

Whoo said:

Already replaced that awhile ago (it is from PL2.)

And most of those textures you posted look good, Kyka. I've already done a few recolors, but I could do a few more. In reality editing existing flats/patches isn't that hard, but it is a little time consuming.

...if you are trying to do it yourself, yes, very time consuming. But, seeing as there are so many good resources where people have already done such things, then it is as simple as using what is already there, in some cases at least.

Whoo, if you are interested, I am happy to go do some work on this, either tracking down some replacements/new textures for this, or even altering up some of the existing TNT textures. I am not a leet texturing dude, but I can do some simple things pretty well. eg:

As another example:

Megamur said:

[red and green stripes here]

For reference, those were mostly used in the original Evilution as small "on" and "off" lights embedded in walls, most notably in the sludge room of MAP09.

Instead of and , we could use maybe: (not my own work here)

or

and

or .

So, we could use these for the embedded lights as Megamur mentioned: (thanks for pointing this out dude. :), and have actual textures that could be used in other situations as well.

Anyway, Whoo, let me know, as it would be cool to do some work on the texture pack here, if you are interested. I have some really neat ideas.

KiiiYiiiKiiiA said:

So, we could use these for the embedded lights as Megamur mentioned: (thanks for pointing this out dude. :), and have actual textures that could be used in other situations as well.

You're welcome, and that seems like a pretty fair idea.

Hock said:

On map 3 in the acid room the stairs have a missing texture.

That demo is nearly two years old, and that map was also scrapped almost two years ago.