Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TendaMonsta

What keeps you going

Alright so I started this thread because I want to understand what motivates you guys to speedrun. I used to be motivated to speedrun in doom when I started beating old times because it was fun (and a challenge) to do. I haven't been speedrunning at all lately and I miss it, but I don't even know where to start really.

Probably a stupid thread because all of this stuff I mentioned should be figured out by my lazy ass instead of ask what other people do.

I guess the basic question is the title of this thread..."What keeps you going" for speedruns.

getting high... oh wait :))

just go ahead, speedorun, or hammer it into wall (as we use to say, sounds strange in engleesch though), I think ppls around are not considering it as such a big thing anymore as it was in the past, so the only thing that really keep me going is pretty much the enjoyability - I don't treat it as some kind of hard work, more like enjoyable timewaster.

but I don't even know where to start really

Maybe you should create 'demo requests' thread, where anyone can ask you to do a demo on certain map/episode. I think it is satisfying to fulfill requests.

Memfis said:

Maybe you should create 'demo requests' thread, where anyone can ask you to do a demo on certain map/episode. I think it is satisfying to fulfill requests.

yo i had thought of the same, could be cool
I may do that with to review the very levels i've played already eventually

back to the topic title:
fun, challenge, and the mere simple fact if i'd restart playing some mmrpg that may suck 2 much time due to getting addicted -which I don't have-

I speed run some but I'm afraid of sharing my runs. I just can't compare with some of the best runners here on doomworld. So I try to beat some really fucking hard records so I can prove myself worthy of uploading demos.

So what motivates me is: When I'm good enough, I can start showing my stuff. I have only shared 1 demo, and that was a uv-speed on uac ultra map 11.

Personal goals, enjoyment from new record and challenge. After doing a good run it makes you proud for a while even if the demo itself is totally meaningless. I rather play doom than watch TV (no goals while watching TV + you can listen to music while you play :)
Just have to watch out for playing too much or your head might snap.

Getting timebarrier broken (time ending in "9" or/and .97) is very satisfying.

Well, myself, I'm a speedrunning lover, and that's not just Doom, it's just this is by far my favorite game ever.

Anyways, the main reason that I started speedrunning was that I felt "offended" to see that some of my favorite levels didn't have proper speedruns, so I started there. I don't have the doomgods skills yet, but hopefully I will get there.

I just feel sad that I didn't start running before, hence I've been watching Doom speed demos since Compet-N's beginning. :(