Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Katamori

What are you playing now?

I resumed my Scoredoom run of Community Chest 2, and currently, I'm in Map32.

I'm definitely looking forward to CC4 sometime.

@BurningCadavre - I'll definitely take a shot at CC3 after I conquer CC2, but after the three CC megawads, I'll attempt the Newdoom Community Project megawads... and I particularly dread Map19 in NDCP II because I would get stuck at the techno-maze portion.

I just went through RTC-3057 and Batman Doom again, and I tried to survive Hell Revealed (UV) in one continuous run, but the swarm on MAP20 promptly laid me back into the ground where I belong.

Now I think I'm gonna go find my old Quake CD, install TyrQuake, and see if I still hate the game as much as the last time I played it. If nothing else, I want to get hopped-up on a quad damage powerup and splatter a shambler into gibs with the super nailgun.

Finished up Unloved earlier... wow. I love surreal atmosphere and that hub delivered. Seeing that WIP for the sequel made me smile.

The scoredoom server's not working, so my CC2 run's suspended until it's back up.

In the meantime, I'll find a different megawad to play.

Vile said:

Finished up Unloved earlier... wow. I love surreal atmosphere and that hub delivered. Seeing that WIP for the sequel made me smile.

I played the hell out of it back in November last year, came a little late to the party. Then when I found out a sequel was announced in December I shat bricks in glee. Oh woe is my fanboyism.

I really enjoyed Unloved when I first started playing it, but then I got hopelessly lost, which broke the flow. I then found out that, after scouring the maps for hours, the next room I had to go to was in plain sight--it was just in such a dark corner that I had missed it over and over again. Then my enthusiasm kind of died.

Recently got done with Icarus: Alien Vanguard. Not one of my favorites in terms of megawads, but still makes for a good time. That and I enjoyed map 30 of it. Of course, I have a soft spot for map 30 of any megawad and how it's handled. :>

Starting on The Rebirth now.

I don't know what the hell's wrong with me but Icarus is a hard megawad to get into, I got up to MAP15 once and sort of stopped right there. MAP12 is really unusual, as sometimes whole sections of the map are sealed off permanently and other times they will be open. Must be compatibility issues.

I played more of Icarus than any other megawad, mostly because it's what my friends & I usually ran back in the day for coop and deathmatch. Almost every map is good, and the way it bounces back and forth between the ship and many other different places keeps it from getting boring. It would be a great WAD to run on an Odamex server.

I don't remember any compatibility problems on MAP12, but it's been a while and only really played that far with doom2.exe and some ancient stuff like xdoom or lxdoom (those old Linux ports where you had to run a separate musserver process...) I'm guessing PrBoom should work too, since it's based off lxdoom. Chocolate Doom should definitely work fine, so try that one for comparison if you get stuck somehow. Actually managing to survive (without god mode) in the very beginning of that map is pretty tough.

Anyway, keep playing, there's still lots of cool stuff after MAP15...

Oh, looks like this page has an explanation for MAP12:
http://visionsofdoom.us/rev_icarus.html

Yeah, I'm itching to replay Icarus again. It's one of my top three favorite megawads of all time. It's just such a blast from start to finish everytime I play through it. :)

Katamori said:

IMO the overdetailedness of clau1024 WADs didn't make the gameplay worse. I enjoyed every minutes, even on the MAP30:???, which is a... wtf level

The first MAP30 is a pain in the ass to complete. The second is... how shall I put it... do I have to wait for all 160 Archviles to teleport in and then hunt them off, and after the last one, something happens?

Still playing through AV, on map17 so far. I'm loving this second episode alot more than the first on this particular playthrough. It's just so brutal and fun on UV, I wonder if I'd be able to make it through the third episode w/o saves.

Just finished Kadath.

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?id=13628

It's an HP Lovecraft-inspired Doom II map, very large, non-linear, plenty of monsters so careful with the ammo, it can get tight. (It helps to find the secret Command Room somewhere near the start). The creepy music adds to the atmosphere. I thoroughly enjoyed this one.

aldiboronti said:

Just finished Kadath.

Oh man this is nice! I got killed in some underground lab, but I'll try again tomorrow. I used PrBoom + Freedoom to run it, and somehow the Freedoom monsters seem to fit the theme perfectly! (esp. that worm-like demon replacement)

O_o
I’ve just seen where the monsters on the southern teleporters were going.

Just finished Memento Mori. I laughed when I realized what the twist to MAP30 was, 'cause I know I'd heard about it before. With all the shielding, though, it turns into an easier Icon than it would otherwise be. MAP28 kicked my ass for a while, but it was loads of fun, and I think 21-29 are my favorite run of maps, at least gameplay wise. Aesthetically I prefer MAP01-10, but they're earlier, easier maps, so they don't stick out as much in my mind. I definitely see why MM is so highly regarded.

BurningCadavre said:

I really liked CC3. Couldn't get into CC1, quality was awkward, and MAP15 of CC2 turned me off last time I played it. I'll probably give them both gos again.

CC1 is a mixed bag with quality levels and downright horrible ones (I'M LOOKING AT YOU, MAP 06!), CC2 is quality all over it with nothing standing out too much, and CC3 has some more innovative and cool levels in it, though quality varies from great to good to meh.

As for me, I'm playing Brutal Doom with everything possible. Latest I did was Epic 2 and am currently on... map 27, I think.

On map 24 of AV... this mapset amazing. It is the BEST mapset to be released this last century. The gameplay is just so satisfying, and the visuals are dripping with atmosphere, the layouts are great, and each level has it's own unique feel. The only map that felt like shit was Map21, which is a very bland and soulless experience compared to the rest of this set so far. Clandestine Complex should have replaced that map instead of Anders' "Valley of Echoes".

I had fun with AV up until MAP26. That's when it gets to Hell Revealed level of difficulty, which is just too hard for me (even on skill 1). I'm a keyboard-only player...

It's a really great WAD though.

Trying to beat E1 on Nightmare. Im on the last level and i just killed one of the Barons.