Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Katamori

What are you playing now?

hex11 said:

I had fun with AV up until MAP26. That's when it gets to Hell Revealed level of difficulty, which is just too hard for me (even on skill 1). I'm a keyboard-only player...

It's a really great WAD though.

Haha, yeah. Map25 is very hard w/o saves, but for me I died mostly due to losing concentration after running killing the first 1000 monsters, I managed to beat it earlier on today but after that I needed a break. Right at the end that final cyber nearly got me but I jumped down into pit and telefragged him. :P Was very intense haha because I didn't wanna die after getting so far.

Map26 is also pretty hard, but it also seems fair, on my second run I got through 600 monsters.

I finally finished my Scoredoom run on CC2.

Next up, CC3... and oh boy, is it gonna be a doozy. (Not as much of a doozy as Map19 of NDCP II (Darkseed, I believe) though.)

Finished Map26 of AV, now onto Map27... everything's starting to get harder and trickier now. Every map is starting to feel like a whole episode, but with perseverance I might be able to finish my UV run on AV. ;-)

Played Copenhagen Central Station for Doom 1. With the exception of the Arch-Vile, Hell knight, and super shotgun in the Doom 2 version, there isn't much of a difference between the two. The Doom 2 version is also missing a sprite (screenshot).

Downloaded from here.

@Cyanosis - I'll definitely take your word for it on Maps28 and 29, but I meant worst as in just plain bad.

Anyways, I'm currently up to map06 of my scoredoom run on CC3. I'm really surprised that the fifth level was a hell level... and a pretty damn hard one, too. (Reminds me a LOT of Doom 2's Map28)

hex11 said:

I'm now playing njdoom2, which I first heard about here:
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/55077-what-was-the-first-pwad-you-ever-played/

The level of detail is very low (it's a 1994 megawad), but so far gameplay is excellent. And I just got slaughtered by a horde of spiders on MAP07...

Interesting, I hadn't realized there was a Doom 2 version. I've played njdoom1, a Doom wad, which I enjoyed. From the first few maps it looks as if this is exactly the same but with Doom 2 monsters added.

Njdoom is kinda bland but has a few good ideas. I like the spine\lava canal.

Finished Obituary after a long Doom break, was good. Going to do some Community Chest maps next, then maybe Whitemare.

I just managed to beat Alien Vendetta on UV w/o saves. :)

This is such an amazing mapset, it is alot more atmospheric and looks better than Suspended in Dusk and RTC-3057. And gameplay wise it is on par with the best 90's megawads. In other words it has the best of both worlds.

aldiboronti said:

Interesting, I hadn't realized there was a Doom 2 version. I've played njdoom1, a Doom wad, which I enjoyed. From the first few maps it looks as if this is exactly the same but with Doom 2 monsters added.

Yeah I think it's the same maps. He probably did it so people who only have Doom II can play it. There were a lot of casual gamers back then, not like the doomworld crowd who have every version of every id game ever released. :)

I like the short preview blubrs for each level in the TXT file. They add a lot to the atmosphere. It's too bad there wasn't a way to display those in the actual game itself (like when it prints "Entering (some map name)".

MAP10 (Rad Pits) was pretty intense. Having to run around, never stopping, always hoping you won't run into a dead end, or the rad suit expires...

I just made it past Map12 during my Scoredoom run on CC3, and it took me close to an hour, not counting reloads, to finish the thing.

Edit: I'm definitely looking forward to taking on the secret and supersecret levels, personally.

Just recently finished Perdition's Gate and Hell to Pay. I really liked how they had intermission text after and before each level. Of the two, I liked Perdition's Gate more. Most of the enemy replacements in Hell to Pay were a disappointment and looked out of place in the megawad.

Now I'm on to Memento Mori.

Nems said:

Just recently finished Perdition's Gate and Hell to Pay. I really liked how they had intermission text after and before each level. Of the two, I liked Perdition's Gate more. Most of the enemy replacements in Hell to Pay were a disappointment and looked out of place in the megawad.

Now I'm on to Memento Mori.

Yeah, it was kind of clever using the backgrounds like that, though it seems like they showed a map before they should have in some cases. Perdition's Gate just feels like it holds up better as a theme and I loved the little jaunts to alien worlds. Hell to Pay had some brilliant moments though.

Just finished Double Impact. Like I said in the release thread, it's a brutal series of maps that function as difficulty via attrition up until E1M8, which is more along the lines of HOLY SHIT. The layouts are cool, the texturing is very E1, and there's plenty of cool ambushes and techbase going to seed. Good secrets, with a lot of easily-missed buttons that reward attention to detail. And half of E1M3 is a giant secret leading up to the secret E1M9! All in all, though it kicked my ass at times, thoroughly enjoyable.

Not sure what I'm gonna play next. Maybe Memento Mori 2? A change of pace, at least.

4 maps into Whitemare, very impressed so far.

Last played Kaiser's "Termination Zone" in the Community Chest, good except for that switch puzzle :/

Ok, CC3 Scoredoom run status so far: Made it to Map21.

Map18 was one of my least favorite maps because that last key switch stumped me. (I did find it, though) As for my least favorite map in that megawad, Map12 takes the cake for taking way too long to complete. (I'm REALLY not a fan of switch hunt maps, especially if I want to beat them under par time)

As for my favorite maps, Map31 reminded me of the Technodrome level in the first CC, only without the damn voodoo dolls mucking it up thankfully. It wasn't too big on the switch hunt thing, given the generous time limit. Map32 was decent for a supersecret level. (the four cyberdemon battle part was the highlight... though at the exit, the second invisible staircase switch wouldn't raise)

I played the map27 "Ruby Abyss" of CC3 yesterday, I think that it's my favorite map :> Even if the difficulty seems to be rather easy.

@franckFRAG - I take it that "Ruby Abyss" will prepare me for the back-to-back Slaughterfest that is "Token Archvile" and "For We Are Many" am I right?

Oh, and I'll be resuming my scoredoom run on CC3 shortly.

Finished up Kurt Kesler's KBoom series. Been a long time since I played these, brings back fond memories of the early days of source ports. Now onto KZDoom.

I finally finished all three Community Chest megawads with my scoredoom runs. Next up, the Newdoom Community Projects. Until then, I'll be needing my break.

I'm starting a Scoredoom run on the two Vae Victus episode wads. So far, I made it to map04 of the first one.

Edit: I finished the first Vae Victus episode, now starting on the sequel.

Edit 2: I just finished Vae Victus 2 as well, and while not as tough as the first one overall, at least VV2's Map07 was somewhat more satisfying.

Edit 3: I just played a bit of UAC Ultra as well. The icon of sin-esque boss at the end of map11 wasn't too hard, though.

Phobos, an old, four-map vanilla set created by the same guy who made EARTH.WAD. In terms of visuals, it's about the best vanilla levelset you will ever play, with great use of fake 3D, and nice new custom textures and animation.

Gameplay-wise, the combat's passable but not all that interesting, and I wish this author didn't have such a fetish for insanely dark, winding tunnels--an issue that plagued EARTH.WAD, as well.

I just started level 15 of njdoom2. Level name is "A crushing Time"... it sounds like there will be lots of traps. ;)

The last two levels had a lot of hidden teleporters that made orientation a little bit confusing at times, but not too difficult. I did notice the difficulty stepping up a little bit. Also, the author made use of some creative traps, and surprises. Like you think you avoided a trap, and then ... BAM! Uh-oh I guess that other trap was just an appetizer. ;)

Overall the level of detail is still very low, but gameplay is excellent. I wish more WADs were designed like this. These days I think too many authors focus on graphics and detail foremost, at the expense of gameplay.

Megamur said:

Phobos, an old, four-map vanilla set created by the same guy who made EARTH.WAD. In terms of visuals, it's about the best vanilla levelset you will ever play, with great use of fake 3D, and nice new custom textures and animation.

Gameplay-wise, the combat's passable but not all that interesting, and I wish this author didn't have such a fetish for insanely dark, winding tunnels--an issue that plagued EARTH.WAD, as well.

Damn, I love it! Fantastic, and the sky texture is also very nice!

Megamur said:

I love PHOBOS and EARTH.WAD so much, even with its dark tunnels and awkward gameplay. But it's so beautifully designed that, imo, every problem it has feels so insignificant in comparison. A very nice classic feeling they have too.