Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lila Feuer

How do you REALLY feel about Doom 3?

Personally, I don't really care about the details of the setting in any of the Doom games. As long as the game is still set in the near future, with lots of guns and monsters, I'm happy enough.

What made the original Doom really great was the clever level design, unique monsters, and the fast, speed-based gameplay. In modern shooters, you spend a lot of time with the infamous duck-and-cover mechanic; you are made to feel powerful because you can inhale bullets, duck, regenerate, and inhale bullets again. Anybody can play a game like that, but it's just not very fun.

But in Doom, you have to do a lot of moving around. The monsters in Doom are very, very stupid, but because of their large numbers you are forced to find a way to weave around them and perform crowd control as best you can. Combine this with the unique, abstract level design, and you are forced to work your way around tons of weird, moving obstacles, all the while fighting off monsters with your futuristic guns and weapons.

Doom3 isn't very fun because it abandons this run-and-gun gameplay to a slower paced game primarily based on graphics and detail. The levels are cramped, monotonous, and you never run into more than a few monsters at a time. Doom3 even makes use of the duck-and-cover mechanic when you fight the zombies, who like to take cover behind walls and boxes and shoot at you every few seconds. Doom3 is only "Doom" in the sense that it had nice graphics for its time and is based on the whole idea of Demons vs. Space Marines.

For Doom4, I hope they return to the fast paced, action oriented gameplay originally found in Doom. The AI should only be at the bare minimum, there should be hordes of monsters, and the level design should be abstract but interesting. The weapons should have the proper sounds and punch, and the music and theme should be stylish and unique.

As a final random note, I don't know if any of you guys have ever played Crimsonland, but it's a top-down shooter where you're a space trooper of some kind and you have to fight off swarms of aliens and zombies. It's a lot of fun, for a reason: the game is a lot like Doom in that you have to spend a lot of time running around, dodging enemies, and unloading your weapons into the closer enemies as fast as you can. The game even has catchy theme music and good sound effects.

DooM 3 really needed more diversity in it's settings like Doom1 and DooM 2 had. Running through different variations of the same corridor got very tedious.

DeathevokatioN said:

DooM 3 really needed more diversity in it's settings like Doom1 and DooM 2 had. Running through different variations of the same corridor got very tedious.

Also forgot to mention that I hope Trent Reznor has nothing to do with DooM 4. That guy is overrated and washed up. That intro he made for DooM 3 sounded uninspired as hell and like it just came straight out of some radio rock band. Bring back Robert Prince because he did write some awesome and moody pieces like the track for E1M8, as well as the Victory tune for Ultimate DooM.

Trent Reznor had nothing to do with Doom 3, period.

He was originally going to do the sound in the game after working with id on Quake (1). But he left the project for various personal and business reasons. Nothing he contributed remains in the final version of the game. The leaked "alpha" contained some of his work, though.

DOOM³'s theme is credited to Tweaker, a band founded by Chris Vrenna, who worked on DOOM³'s audio. He also did work alongside Reznor at some point.

And though I did love Bobby Prince's contributions to DOOM, many of the songs for DOOM were "borrowed" from rock/metal bands, which throws into question just how much of DOOM's music was his own invention. Listening to many of the soundtracks he did for Apogee, they're often very simplistic. It's gotten to the point that I can recognize songs he's done because they all tend to follow the same template: the song plays through, loops, starts over with same exact tune but with another instrument/some additional notes added, repeat until song ends. Listen to Map18's music from DOOM II to hear a perfect example of all of those aforementioned traits.

He also did work alongside Reznor at some point.

In that he used to play live drums for NIN. Not on Doom 3 afaik.

It's not gonna happen but i loved Painkillers metal tracks that picked up as the action did. I'm sick of all the orchestra type music that fills most fps\games, hopefully they do something interesting with Doom4, something old-school :D

\edit
i think the drummer of NIN had something to do with Doom3

ManCannon said:

It's not gonna happen but i loved Painkillers metal tracks that picked up as the action did. I'm sick of all the orchestra type music that fills most fps\games, hopefully they do something interesting with Doom4, something old-school :D

\edit
i think the drummer of NIN had something to do with Doom3

Better yet: Follow The Darkness's example: mixture of metal (particularly of the Swedish sort) and orchestral action music.

Eh,
I always thought Doom 3 was ID's interpretation on how they wanted the original Doom to look and feel. The whole "horror" element wasn't all that great, I mean once you get the pattern, telling when another Imp is going to pop out of a vent becomes pretty easy. However on the bright side, Doom 3 is easily moddable not just out of the game but in-game as well, a full array of customizable sounds, pdas, lights, and creature spawns, is cool to take a look at and fool around with.

I loved Doom3, but not the expansion. In fact, i'm replaying Doom3 again right now.
I liked it, among other things, for managing to replicate that immersion i felt with the old Doom. When i was a kid with a SNES, there were all these games, and then there was Doom, which was a whole other level of experience. With (comparatively) newer games it's managing to do the same somehow, even though i rarely get immersed in them (i just appreciate what the atmosphere would've been if i got immersed) Doom3 managed that: there are other games, and then there's Doom3. It's just a solid, atmospheric, suspenseful experience for me.

I agree. It may not be the best game in the world, but I can't play it "casually" since I get so absorbed into the atmosphere.

Personally, I didn't find Doom 3 all that great. Sure the graphics were nice, but I really didn't like the cramped quarters, and the dark areas where I had to juggle between my flashlight and my arsenal.

I was also rather disappointed that the cyberdemon fight at the end was relatively easy.

gun_psycho said:

Personally, I didn't find Doom 3 all that great. Sure the graphics were nice, but I really didn't like the cramped quarters, and the dark areas where I had to juggle between my flashlight and my arsenal.

I was also rather disappointed that the cyberdemon fight at the end was relatively easy.

I never had a problem with the flashlight, gun juggle. Call me whatever, but I just walked perfectly about with the shotgun, when ever I saw something I shot it, rarely ever using the flashlight. And it made the game more tense, in my view.

its a remake of a classic.
I loved it all the way through to the final fight with the Uber Cyberdemon. Then i am still loving it through my second playthrough.

It's actually worth replaying in Nightmare mode. I thought it made the game much scarier, and it's not quite as completely impossible as classic DOOM's Nightmare mode.

Gameplay was boring. Storyline was borderline cliche (and also boring). If they had made the gameplay faster paced I probably would've enjoyed it. I didn't want an exact clone of classic Doom, but Doom 3's gameplay just bored me. It wasn't like Half-Life 2 where it at least had a good story and some nifty (at the time) physics puzzles to backup the gameplay hit it took from the original either.

ROE seemed better but I just kind of gave up on it after the first few maps. I should probably make an effort to play through it sometime.

I liked DOOM3, still play it to this day. I think I've beaten it 5x on X-Box and PC. I own Ressurection of Evil. I like it, don't love it. I think it was best when it was tense.

Well, I do like Doom 3, though I havn't play it before but once watch some playthoughs in youtube. I like the new monsters and weapons design, especially the archvile and cyberdemon. However, the main disadvantage is the atmosphere, which is somehow too dark! And some original monsters like Spider Mastermind isn't show up in Doom 3 as well, what a shame!

Spider Mastermind would be too big or make a slow down like their original imps in the "alpha". Barons don't have horns due to clipping issues I'd assume.

People always do complain about how dark it is, but I guess in a power outtage, there's not much light. I didn't think it was that dark, but maybe thats because I have a bright monitor or something.

geo said:

Spider Mastermind would be too big or make a slow down like their original imps in the "alpha". Barons don't have horns due to clipping issues I'd assume.

1) The Cyberdemon in Doom 3 is already quite gigantic
2) They could simply give them a larger map clipping box for their heads, while keeping their collision models correct (dunno the technicalities, but essentially it means: they're solid to map geometry everywhere below their horn tips, but bullets still pass above their heads between their horns).

Cyberdemon has less movement than an 8 legged giant brain. Come to think of it, the spider mastermind is probably clipping issues too with 8 legs and 8 moving parts instead of 4. Or maybe the walk animation just looked terrible.

magicsofa said:

...Shot an imp down...

I hate this expression, along with "kill it off". You killed an imp. You shot an imp. What the fuck does shooting it down mean? As opposed to shooting it up? PARTY TIME. This isn't a personal attack, its just one of my pet peeves.

Of course everyone has their own opinions, but I think most people who didn't enjoy it rushed through it and didn't take the time to soak in the experience. It wasn't meant to be a run n gun like the original dooms, and if you tried to play it that way yeah you were gonna be disappointed. Alot of the complaints I saw were baseless, such as it being too dark or not having enough story. The only one that had any basis was that some of the traps were predictable. Sure it got predictable at times. What game doesn't? Were the old Dooms any different? Most of the time you knew when you were about to grab a key or a weapon it was a trap, based on the room layout etc.

First time I played it, I hadn't had a new game in a while so the graphics were very impressive to me. I isolated my room from all external light and noise and played in the dark with surround sound speakers. I followed the storyline and took my time to explore the maps. The level design was super realistic, very detailed. I love the original Doom levels architecture and stuff but you never really feel like you're in a base, at least I didn't. Doom 3 felt like they spent alot of time actually designing the base, like a director would design a movie set. It just added to the realism and immersion.

When you shoot it down... you shoot it and it falls down. When you light it up, a flame goes upward.

as i said in another thread here, i liked doom 3. not to the extent i like the classic games, but it's still an enjoyable game, especially hell and the following maps. those before hell were a bit monotone for my taste.00

PDA codes? just write them down or look them up on the net if you don't feel like listening to them or reading emails. i found they added some background, for example i listened to all of dr. raleigh's reports on his patients. at least, you can ignore them if you want, or break off cutscenes introducing monsters. compare this to other games where you have to watch those damn cutscenes whether you want or not.

the crouching imp behind a door could have been used more sparingly. and even less of those cherubs and trites, whoever came up with that baby of hell, easily the most annoying creature in the game.

btw, i just watched this trailer for priest. look at the creatures at 0:36 - 0:39, don't they resemble imps (the leaping zombies) and pinkies (the first one you encounter in the game)?

A lot of creatures in movies and games resemble DOOM monsters. Priest reminds me a lot of Legion (which reminded me of Terminator 1 set in the daytime, but the commercials were like Evil Dead). Maybe Priest is a sequil.

Cyanosis said:

Except the novels and that godawful movie.

I actually kinda like the novels. The ones that I read anyways which were the first one and Doom 3 novel. I liked the latter better. I enjoyed the first one the same way a good b-movie horror flick.

Actually liked the movie too. Thought it was fun and good for what it was, but ultimately, was not a true Doom movie. No demons = no Doom.

I have just got a copy of Doom3 from a friend and it is actually quite a good game with some very fast moving and annoying monsters at times. I am enjoying this game quite a bit and I want to try out the editor sometime. It is realistic that you have to find codes for locked cabinets and keycards for doors, that would be the case in a real base where they would have strict security measures to keep weapons locked away and secure areas locked against intruders. Are there any Cacodemons in this game? Anyway I like this game and Doom64, even though they both can be a bit dark at times, it is still heaps of fun.

Standing in a pool of light from a overhead fluoro light and seeing zombiemen staggering towards you from the darkness is very cool, like Dawn of the Dead. And the turkey punching game is priceless. I hope Doom4 is even better. Having the setting on Earth, I hope for more outdoor areas and brighter levels.

Its really good to hear your opinion neub. Its positive :-)

There are cacodemons yes. With a very different look.

DOOM64 looks awesome and sets a mood and its own unique style. There are more outdoor levels.