Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sergeant_Mark_IV

Brutal Doom version 18a

Seeker_of_Truth said:

I've been playing this on multiplayer, and the chaingunner appear to glitch when they attack. I'll check to make sure, but I don't think this problem happened on single player.

Agreed with above - Chaingunners can walk while shooting and they don't have the shooting animation. Trying to figure out who's shooting me only to find out it's the Chaingun dude next to me.

[Edit] Okay, so agreed with previous page.

Last beta before oficial 0.10 release.
Bugs getting reported here are gonna be fixed on final release.

- Fixed the old bug causing players to get damaged by blood.
- Blood will splat and flow over the screen when shooting enemies so close.
- Shotgun won't auto-reload anymore.
- Added screen damage effects when player gets hit by different damage types.
- Different particles for hit puffs.
- Fixed the bug with Megaspheres and Soulspheres not adding to player's health.
- Player can store the captured Lost Soul for later use when switching weapons again.
- Problems with game crashing after loading, and map-placed Berserks not showing up after loading a game seems to be solved (I hope!).
- Kicks have changed. Now, they work more as a tactical attack, dealing less damage, but pushing enemies away. Zombiemen and Shotgunners are knocked down (but not killed) by kicks, and stay a short time completely out of action.
- Rifle won't have to reload at game start.

Downloads:

Skulltag:
http://wadhost.fathax.com/files/BrutalDoomV10PreReleaseTest2.zip

GZDoom:
http://wadhost.fathax.com/files/BrutalGZDoomV10PreReleaseTest2.zip

Hey guys, this bug with Chaingunners firing while moving happened on GZdoom or Skulltag?

Fantastic, another test release! Have you pinpointed the "Unknown Object Code" error that sometimes happens when dying in a map with a huge number of dead monsters (and their body parts)? I will keep you informed if I still get it with this new pre-release version.

I generally remove +SHOOTABLE from the monster corpse actors, do you think that has anything to do with the crashes? I remove it so rockets and BFG's secondary damage doesn't gib them.

The alternate health/armor bonus replacements should be an separate file.

Chainsaw marines still appear to be hostile, as one was comfortably sharing space with Mancubi without attacking each other.

Items do not float if they are programmed to be in the air. First time I noticed this was in skulltag deathmatch, a soulsphere was bouncing on a jump platform.

I've only noticed the chaingunner bug on Skulltag. I'll have to check GZDoom to be sure.

EDIT: This bug only happens when you play multiplayer on Skulltag. I was gonna try to explain it, but instead I put together a video of the glitch because I really don't know how to put it into words.

http://youtu.be/MvZPVug4V7U

Demons can't hurt crouching player. They just standing here and biting air around me. I've only seen damage when stepped a little towards them. Pic for visual reference when there's no damage.
http://i55.tinypic.com/2h74a6w.png

Rescuable marines acting rather strange. Here's one executing other marines
http://i53.tinypic.com/30sv7l1.png
And they won't follow me, just running away from me, playing their own Doom. Or running in circles in areas like this
http://i53.tinypic.com/2h2mps1.png

The health bonus sprite looks out of place but the new armor bonus looks good.

So, I will remove the new health icon, but keep the new armor one.

@Flynn, i'm going to further increase their attack projectile height to make sure they hit crouching players. (Yes, they are actually shooting invisible projectiles instead a melee hitscan)

@Seeker_of_Truth: lol at it. Pretty weird bug. I will try to find out what is happening here. Maybe I know what is it.

@Rambosse: I think I forgot the +NOGRAVITY flag on spheres. Gonna fix it. Thanks for repporting.

@Mr.Chris: I'm 99% sure this bug is fixed. I have been reading those links to Zdoom forums you have been posting, and I found out that duplicated actors can cause the "Unknown Object Code" crash. And I was duplicating the dead bodies actors, that is why this bug was happening.
The bodies doesnt causes the crashes. I'm pretty sure about it. Also, you can make BFG hitscans dont hit the bodies by typing in your console "sv_smartaim 3".

All right then, do not forget to implement the "big demon" sound (if not done) for the baron/knight and the additional zombie sight noises. :3

I think you may have capped the "Unknown object code" bug, as I had multiple deaths on an Obhack 007.2 (See Editing forum for thread) megawad on one level without being bombed out to the console.

So that explains why I can't go back and forth to lock the demon in his attack frames so other monsters can hit them.

How do I make the BFG so it isn't a fatal point-blank kill to the player using it? I'm also trying to figure out to replace the Arch-Vile with the Revenant since I find the monster quite irritating. I know it has to do with inheritance but my tries keep causing me to have ST puke an error.

Are small torches supposed to have their flame floating slightly above the stake? Maybe it just looks like that based on how high from the player view, but I could be wrong.

I think the player should have a separate immolation death from dying via lava and Arch-Vile's blast.

I walked under a hanging corpse in which it was nearly on me and it just exploded. Trample effect?

I am starting to see fireball tossing monsters hurting themselves and occasionally committing suicide from them tossing their fireballs too high (esp. imps and weaker fireball tossers), just like the zombies and the hitscan issue they had.

Lost souls attacking and running into a corpse, namely sergeant, imp or zombieman will make the body wiggle as it was knocked down but only that one frame just before fully knocked down. I know you can kick their corpses around but it does look silly.

Hey!I just picked up the new version and it's really good although I think it could use some further improvements like changing the zombie burn sound as it is terribly out of place(in my opinion) you could take samples from the doom 3 berserker sounds http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5W3Wmz0aR0o

Speaking of berserker packs I think you should make a new status bar face that shows up everytime you pick up the berserker pack up until the red screen evaporates(like the doom marine going really mental and his eyes are red)

Another question, why have monsters jump off short platforms...that restriction they have adds to the game so they can still harass the player with projectiles without going up into his face to claw/punch him. It also can break some PWADs and some IWAD maps when they are on small alcoves.

I'm personally not a fan of it and I end up removing it (and the altered health). Also, the grenades do a huge amount of damage (30 damage opposed to rocket's 20!), was this intentional? I'm not sure a frag or bouncy type grenade would do more damage than a missile would....speaking of missiles, a single nonhoming missile with large splash damage and more damaging similar to the dual revenant rockets sounds like a nice tertiary projectile for the Cyberdemon.

Mr. Chris said:

Also, the grenades do a huge amount of damage (30 damage opposed to rocket's 20!), was this intentional?

You must be mistaking something.There's no way the rocket does 20 damage!

@killer2: 20 damage in Doom terms means it probably does between 120-150 and 200 points of damage to health. So just up that damage by 50% and that's grenade damage.

Mr. Chris said:

@killer2: 20 damage in Doom terms means it probably does between 120-150 and 200 points of damage to health. So just up that damage by 50% and that's grenade damage.

Dunno what the hell are you talking about.If a weapon deal 20 damage,it will take 20 points of health,not 200 points of health.

Direct attacks in Doom have a min and max damage calculated by taking the value in the damage field and multiplying it by another slightly randomized value.

For projectiles, this is usually 1-8. Therefore, a missile with a damage value of 8 (Barron of Hell's fireball), does between 8-64 damage. A missile with a damage value of 10 (Revenant's missile) will do between 8-80 damage.

Splash damage is calculated independently from this as a separate attack, meaning an object hit by a rocket is actually being hit twice, once by the actual rocket and again by the splash damage.

Vanilla Doom's only splash damage causing action has 128 radius and does damage to targets based on how far from the centre they are; an object 28 units from the centre of the explosion will take 100 damage, while an object 64 units from the centre of the explosion will take 64 damage.

The knight's upper body looks a bit too similar to his lower when he is cut in half by the chaingun/saw.

Stepping on and squishing baron/knight pieces will result in a red bloody pile rather than green.

Might it be possible to have certain body parts being able to face left or right (IE zombie/imp/demon/etc arm/hand/leg/head etc)?

Monsters sometimes can get stuck over fresh body parts when walking over them.

The imp and mancubus' fireball flame will hurt them if he walks too close or over it.

Hmmm, anything fantastic in the works lately Sgt MkIV?

Also the rifle reloads sometimes when selecting it even when the magazine is full.

Most if not all of the chaingunner's deaths do not have him dropping his weapon immediately like the zombieman and shotgunner.

I have an idea for the rocket launcher secondary; What if it shoots 3 missiles with reduced damage (say, 20-25%) and they are somewhat drunk homing?

This mod is awesome!

I love how you managed to add such detail in the carnage, all without slowing the players machine down too terribly bad. The gameplay changes are balanced, and fit the style of action in the game (Fatalities are my personal favorite). I have already replayed a few PWAD's with it, and I plan on playing through Doom 1-2 once the full version is released.

I really look forward to further progress on this mod!

I have a feeling an update will be posted when there's something worth posting.

I've been using Brütal Doom on my work laptop (i3 M370 @ 2.40Ghz, 2Gb RAM and one of those god-awful Intel HD integrated graphics chip) and even though it's more than enough to run Doom, I've noticed some performance issues when waterfalls are involved... for instance, the Speed of Doom WAD gets pretty choppy when around/closer to the waterfall areas... same with the 2nd level of Vanguard, the framerate goes down to probably 10-5 fps...

I know it's probably due to the crappy integrated graphics, but was it reported before?

On a side note, I think the SS Nazis should have their player sight sounds to be German instead of English. Maybe their own death groans too?

Also, how do you stop stepping on limbs and heads and squishing them?

New fatalities, bug fixes, other neat stuff. I love the new replacement sound for the rifle.

Yes, but it was changed because of translation issues...if the player had blue as his color choice, the baron's spine and blood would be blue since it translates all the green.