Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
skib

Cyberdemon sucks! I'm making new sprites!

I think the cyberdemon's sprites are bad!
It doesn't look like what I expected it to be!

I can't.
But, I think it should be a giant eye or something.
Actually, I might model one in clay and animate it.

If you can make a clay model of a giant eye that fires rockets and makes a DSHOOF sound when it walks, but works as a better cyberdemon than the current one, I'll be impressed. Good luck.

Ooops, forgot about DSHOOF!
I'll come up with some concept sketches then make the model
Maybe DSHOOF could be floating sound effect.

Made a concept sketch!

I also think some DEHACKED and LANGUAGE would be good!

Hi, I made the current cyberdemon sprites, originally it wasn't meant to be a cyberdemon, it was some kind of 'greater arachnotron', I know many people can dislike it as cyberdemon, I respect that, but I really like the work I've done.

your cyberdemon idea looks very interesting, though that first sketch looks a bit simple, I want to see it done.

skib said:

Ooops, forgot about DSHOOF!
I'll come up with some concept sketches then make the model
Maybe DSHOOF could be floating sound effect.

Made a concept sketch!

I also think some DEHACKED and LANGUAGE would be good!

As you put your idea in this forum you will understand that there will be different comments an opinions and there is my one:

for me the cyberdemon being a "giant eye" is kinda pointless especially being a "giant eye" that would be an "easy monster" to do, its really a "empty" concept for being a Boss Monster, its something kinda boss like for Kirby Games. For Doom the cyberdemon mean to be a fearsome Monster, Imponent at sight, sounds that make the player worry about the monster (like DSHOOF of the cyberdemon that always make the player think there is danger ahead). always game with doom engine have awesome giant monster, and for me a giant eye isnt awesome. like;
Heretic: Malotaur = awesome
Hexen: Heresiarch = awesome
Strife: Inquisitor = awesome
Freedoom: giant eye = not awesome

All of those monsters in those game share that thing in common: sprite design and sounds that make the player think twice before attack them and must being careful with them. of course the giant eye would have cyberdemon behavior but the player would see that monster as joke.

being a simple giant eye would make just other players say "OMG this the cyberdemon??? isnt an awesome monster" and adding the "floating sound" would make the monster less fearsome and most of the players would think its just a giant floating cacodemon (well in some way).

And BTW: freedoom mean to be a Free Doom/Doom2 Project compatible with all port and only with the main wad. that mean: Only the wad nothing about dehacked or extra files.

Sorry for being cruel. but that its my opinion.

Urric's spider was more narrow than wesley's. And wesley's looks just like a spider, Urric's is a bit spidery but would also look awesome as a cyber. So it made sense.

@ZOk, your points are valid.

@Urric, The current Cyberdemon sprite is better as an arachnotron!

My only real concern is where the rockets will come from!

And yes, the sketch is simple, maybe it'll be like a demon with a giant eye!

By hover, I mean electrical charge.

Each set of sprites has a style, with the current set being dark colored and muscular and physically rooted as if from a heavy planet.

The egg shaped cyberdemon is not a great fit in the current style. I wish it did not have pointy legs. I think the egg shaped cyberdemon could use some feet, as it looks to be floating around, and it looks to be anime style where the metal legs bend at will.
It is much better than the previous fill-in.

An EYE shape anything would be a worse fit for the current style.
It would appear to be one of the floating monsters, but does not have the ports to shoot fireballs or flaming skulls.
This Doom does not have a "beholder" which is the classic EYE.

To make a proper replacement, in the current style, first stare at the current monsters until it becomes obvious what a related creature, that happens to shoot missiles, would look like. Make sure it looks like it will shoot missiles, by making the missile shooter visible and obvious. Makes sure it can shoot missiles in quick succession, so that does not look unbelievable, which probably requires having a box of missiles on its back.
The cyberdemon is too dangerous make it look benign.

Yea. This monster can kill with one shot, and the original id cyberdemon looked the part. He lacked the box of missiles, or any means to justify that high repeat fire rate though.

Yes, it sucks!
We really need DeHackEd if we use this!
But here is CYBRA0

I can't pixelate it!
Help!

No, it's a sh*t eye!
You could put a sign that says:
Freedoom Graphic looks shit!
Ok, Urric's stays!

Yeah, I think that a big eye with no apparent weapon is even further from the cyberdemon than the other one was. (and that one wasn't even supposed to be a cyberdemon)

Too bad. A giant hovering skull that shoots BFG blasts would make a killer boss, literally. ;)

As you see, I can't draw!
Maybe recolouring the painelemental!
Then again, that sucks!

skib said:

Maybe recolouring the painelemental!

I doubt that'd be accepted since the sprites aren't your own work or compatible with Freedoom's BSD license.

GreyGhost said:

I doubt that'd be accepted since the sprites aren't your own work or compatible with Freedoom's BSD license.

Maybe he meant the freedoom pain elemental, not the proprietary one?

d1337r said:

Of course I did, but I said it sucks and it will never be accepted

d1337r said:

My mistake. In any case, the current Pain Elememtal's a recolour of the Cacodemon and incomplete.

Too much "sucks" in this thread. Anyway, this thread reminds me of an octopus-like concept for the Freedoom Spider Mastermind. That as well, didn't have any identifiable gun, but the users didn't find any problem with it.