Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Andy Olivera

The DooMed Speed Demos Archive returns!

Big update this week, but no new demos. All 268 are from the Compet-N archive, including the rest of HR and 2/3rds of MM. Until next week...

A small update this week: 70 demos, all from the Compet-N archive(the rest of MM). Hopefully, doom2.net will come back up soon, so I can get the rest of the PWAD demos to add...

The Doom2.net website seems to be running. The problem appears to be its name-server at soarwitheagles.net, the one that was failing for many people outside the US and Europe. Now it seems completely broken. Thus you can see the COMPET-N site by using the web-server's IP, but cannot reach its FTP service.

Are the missing demos from the updated section of COMPET-N or from incoming? I have all the demos from COMPET-N proper backed up. Others may have them, too (Grazza and Opulent, at least).

A small update this week: only 43 demos, but all of them are new. Newcomer Boris "dew" Klimes sent in several ZDaemon RJ runs and Skepticist released two collections for retroeps and rebirth.

Starting this week, I will be downloading demos from the forums and adding them to the DSDA, but only those in new posts. Demos referenced in older posts will have to be sent in, as I don't feel like scouring approximately 100 pages worth of posts for demos.

Myk, I'm looking for the old Compet-N demos(specifically, requiem). All the incoming demos and other PWADs have been added.

Until next week.

A more substantial update this week: 126 demos. Included are a few on Dimensions of Time by newcomer Krypto, the newest entries from Monakhov on Rebirth and all the demos from the Plutonia 2 thread.

A smallish update this week: 78 demos. An HR2 NM run from newcomer Kelissias, some oldies but goodies sent in by The Green Herring and a few dozen Requiem runs from the Compet-N archives.

TimeOfDeath said:

The browse by player feature is mega cool!

excellent site, more comfortable to use imo than compet-n.

Torr: Thanks! I'm glad it's working out for everyone.

This week's update has been posted: 180 demos. A NM run from Guiddqd(DooM), a pair each from The Green Herring(ub) and Vladimir(Plutonia 2) and a trio from Tatsurd(AV). TGH also sent in an older Hitherto demo(32innail). A significant number of Requiem demos from Compet-N round out the rest.

Yes, I was still looking for that(in fact, I'd forgotten). I'll get Grazza's demo into next week's update.

One of the few remaining orphaned demos finally adopted. Thanks, Mad Butcher.

A mere 62 demos added this week. Due to a rather hectic weekend I wasn't able to enter the new demos from the forums and had to limit myself to what was sent in. This week we have three demos on entrapmt(sent in by The Green Herring) and a pair of collections from Krypto(UV Max on 2002ado; NM Speed on dot).

Wad author identification:

• bme1 is by Brian Erwin. The name can be found by looking up the e-mail address in the .txt in Google Groups.
  • darkness is by Pasi Nikkanen. A copy hosted at cd.textfiles.com is accompanied by a descriptive text file which reveals the author's name. Although cd.textfiles.com is having some downtime at the moment, the contents of the .ZIP (apart from another .txt that just indicates where the guys who made that CD downloaded the WAD from) may be found here.
  • too1337 is by Jeff Earls, also known as "The Last Doomer." Examining the 1999 version of the website featured in the .txt within that .zip file reveals who created it. Checking a 2001 page in the same index reveals a notice that the site has moved; clicking the link directs you to an archived version of the site at its "new" location, where his name can be found at the bottom of the page and in the "about" section.

TGH: All the info has been updated. Thanks!

This week's update is small(54 demos), but does bring us up to date with the forums.

No problem!

Oh, here's another one I was going to check if cd.textfiles.com hadn't been down at the time: argh!_1 is by Joe Pantuso. As with darkness, the copy at cd.textfiles.com here contains a descriptive text file where the author's name is revealed. The file name of the WAD itself is a little different, but everything else matches, as far as I can tell. (Michael Novikov's demo plays back on it, at least!)

This week brings with it a pathetically small update: 12 demos. However, included are two pl2 demos and a profile from newcoming pa1ny to partially make up for that.

Bug: The author of argh!_1 is still listed as "Unknown." Check my last post for the author's name and a link to a cd.textfiles.com copy with a descriptive text file. ;)

Another puny update: 15 demos. It's not much, but hopefully next week I can catch up with the forums and start adding MM2(Compet-N archives).

Another respectable update: 69 demos. A few new demos, as well as some old ones sent in by The Green Herring and the beginning of the MM2 Compet-N archives. Also included is the longest demo to date: tnt UV Max in 4:50:09. Finally, Anima Zero's punishr demo reminded me of the slightly retooled(and even harder) version of the level released under the title wtf-pnsh and Dario's accompanying demo. AFAIK, his is the only demo on it and it's not even a full max run. Anyone want to give this one a try?

I got 15:39, but probably 10:00ish is possible; I messed up the whole end part and one door with its weird D1 instead of DR behavior screwed me up. Its not that hard or well made imo, but I quite like plutonia.

wtf-pnsh-1539-ggg.zip

Andy, I think there is some problem with my demos. I don't think I have so many demos in the C-N section besides the Alien Vendetta demos and a coop demo for Ultimate Doom. :/

Maybe it is the demos from tornado that messed up with mine?

gggmork: Nice! Complevel 9, eh? The lack of a Lost Soul limit changes the dynamics a bit.:-) And, yeah, that door is annoying, but there are two other ways to get into the room beyond.

Torn: Could you give me some examples? The only Compet-N demos I'm seeing are for AV and a few HR co-ops with Erik Alm.

Andy Olivera said:

Torn: Could you give me some examples? The only Compet-N demos I'm seeing are for AV and a few HR co-ops with Erik Alm.

Yeah you are right. I guess my memory messes up my mind. :P

I habitually use complevel 9. So I did it with complevel 2 again and got 10:54 basically by leaving the cybers alive to infight and just speeding through instead. This route could probably be 8:ish or faster if I got that row of cell packs (in the 'jump over av platform secret') earlier.
Of course the level designer probably intended to use an invuln at the end but its not necessary (did the same thing at the end as last time) so that makes the whole level easier.
anima's route would probably be some minutes faster.

wtf-pnsh-1054-ggg.zip

gggmork: Much better. Not nearly as much wandering(except for looking for stragglers at the end).

This week's update is huge: 211 demos! In addition to keeping up to date with the forums, all of the MM2 demos from the Compet-N archives are up, which means all the PWAD demos have been added. On to Final DooM, I guess...:-)