Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Lorfa

Noskill's configs? From lmp?

Hey I was looking for doom2 player configs for top players of the past.

Mainly I was looking for the controls used by NoSkill as I remember they were very strange.

I heard that the lmp (demo files) might actually contain this information and if so I was wondering if it can be extracted.

Also wondering if any doom2 thresh demos exist, I have one of him on map07 and I have never seen any others.

No, lmp files do not contain this information. With some detective work you might be able to work out if they used mouse-induced strafe-50 (and a few other such things), but you can't get any information on what keys/buttons they used.

A lmp demo is a recording of the player's actions each tic as understood by the game engine. It's in terms of whether they moved/turned, and at what speed, and not what keypresses or mouse actions they used to achieve this.

The txt files that accompany demos might shed some light on this, but this depends on what the player chose to divulge.

Grazza said:

Yep that's the one.

Thanks for the info, I knew the lmp thing was a super long shot.

I know for sure that I have seen NoSkill's key setup but I could not find it on my ancient backup cd. I remember when I saw it I found it to be extremely screwy.

why would you want a player's config that's 10+ years old? and considering how non-configurable doom2.exe is, why would you want anyone's config at all?

Mogul said:

why would you want a player's config that's 10+ years old? and considering how non-configurable doom2.exe is, why would you want anyone's config at all?

Because I collect configs from other games. I find it interesting how different key combinations can produce certain 'styles' in-game.

Considering that NoSkill was one of the best and managing this with an extremely strange approach to the configuration, I am interested.

On the NoSkill memorial site (presumably written by Bahdko) at http://www.doom2.net/noskill/index.htm it also says:

"Thorough analysis of his Doom2 recordings shows that he used an extremely uncommon keyboard and mouse configuration known as "Mouse+Keys Assist". It had no official differentiation from normal "Mouse+Keys" until recently. The difference can be summarized this way: He used the mouse primarily for movement, and the keyboard as a comparatively minor aid. This config requires extremely high mouse sensitivity to be used skillfully. Detailed technical information about Mouse+Keys Assist configurations will probably be written about soon."

However nothing more was written about it :-)

You might ask her to write more on it to see if she can elaborate. You can either email her or find her in #nightmare on quakenet (occasionally). I agree that using different hardware setups and being successful with it is pretty interesting. Some other notable examples:

Chewy (Hi Jango) on ZDaemon reportedly uses a trackball with extremely high sensitivity.

Garpy, the most ridiculously insane HL deathmatch player, used a setup that involved a gamepad as well as a mouse, which is very strange for a first person shooter on PC.

That said, I still doubt much telling could be extracted from his literal config file.

You might ask her to write more on it to see if she can elaborate. You can either email her or find her in #nightmare on quakenet (occasionally).

I tried to e-mail her but her address is like disconnected.

I will try irc thanks for the tip :-)

Garpy, the most ridiculously insane HL deathmatch player, used a setup that involved a gamepad as well as a mouse, which is very strange for a first person shooter on PC.

I actually know a player in Quake Live that plays rather strongly with a gamepad + mouse. I tried it before, and it works ok, but it is murder on your thumb. I figure you'd make an excellent hitchhiker after doing that for a couple months.

Garpy switched to the kb at some point for QL.

does bahdko still maintain the site? she wrote "Detailed technical information about Mouse+Keys Assist configurations will probably be written about soon", so possibly she has more info on this setup.

however, i don't think that there's much to gain from using another player's setup, especially an unusual one, requiring very high mouse sens, as the article says.

as for thresh, he became famous playing quake, i saved every demo by him back then, but that one was the only doom demo i could find. i remember he frags himself with the bfg at one point near the exit. watching this demo taught me the megasphere grab, which is used happily, makes some guy ragequit. i should make videos of these ragequit series and upload them when i have some time, they're really amusing ;)