Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DASI-I

Doom 4 should have...

Mogul said:

That said, I loved DOOM 3 intensely and part of that is its approach to music. I also don't believe DOOM 4 should place an over-emphasis on metal. I just finished Splatterhouse on Xbox 360 and I found its non-stop, licensed metal soundtrack to be sometimes downright annoying. Metal is fantastic; I love and respect (and listen to some) metal. But pouring it on endlessly isn't good for any game.

All that having been said, unless DOOM 4 is all about tip-toeing your way through the dark like part 3 was (and considering the heavy criticism it got, I really doubt it will be), metal will likely be appropriate for some gameplay sections of the game.

I accept all of these things.

huhm.....

I want more...creepy/ disturbing uncomfortabilities rather than scares.

Like, as I said, corpses on spikes, creepy skulls watching you, etc.

Foggyness. I really think, if DOOM is taking place on earth, it should be in southern bog like areas or similar.

Such as-
http://www.poi-factory.com/files/img/439964_scary_trees_1.jpg

that picture screams DOOM for some reason.

Alot of the wooded areas down here are great for the atmosphere of it.

And Hunting Island as well, if anyone's every been there. Creepy, creepy area. Its NEVER sunny there. Everytime I go, its always cloudy and/or raining. And its all eroded down to where there is, not even kidding, a cabin on a platform like a mile out into the water, where land once was.

yellowmadness54 said:

http://www.poi-factory.com/files/img/439964_scary_trees_1.jpg

that picture screams DOOM for some reason.

That picture screams "grandfather's acreage" to me, but I guess that's my problem.

With that said, I hope Doom 4 is absent of forests and farmland, and is not set in a bog in the southern United States. Those might be great settings in other games, but I can't see the techno-satanic atmosphere of Doom working well in any of them. If they did it well enough though, I could probably come around to the idea.

I can see where you are coming from. If they remake BLOOD, then my ideas may be more valid.

I just want....doom. Fuck it, why list things I want to say when it could be put in that way.

I dont want anything new, no gadgets, no cutscenes, spare characters. I just want to run, and shoot demons.

Thats it. Nothing more, nothing less.

yellowmadness54 said:

I just want to run, and shoot demons.

I want a little bit more than that, like battles of varying scales (big fights and small fights, not just huge enemy hordes every minute), levels that aren't just simple "point A to point B," secret areas, and maybe even a puzzle or two.

Megamur said:

I want a little bit more than that, like battles of varying scales (big fights and small fights, not just huge enemy hordes every minute), levels that aren't just simple "point A to point B," secret areas, and maybe even a puzzle or two.

well yeah, of course. I want some larger than life demons, too.

Marnetmar said:

Does anyone know anything about that doom4game.com site?

no...I wouldnt go to a site about a game that little info has been released on.

Sounds fake.

Why? Do you know it? is it worth checking out?

yellowmadness54 said:

no...I wouldnt go to a site about a game that little info has been released on.

Sounds fake.

Why? Do you know it? is it worth checking out?

It's just the supposed Doom 4 logo with a back blackground.

Xeros612 said:

OH GOD GRAYSCALE PICTURE OF TREES SO TERRIFYING

It looks more fitting for an old low-budget Black Metal band cover art, to be honest.

didnt say terrifying. Just creepy, has an uncomfortable feel to it. Much like loads of areas down here.

Anyways, I'd also like to see the monsters being closer to what they did in original dooms, and retain there death anims as well.

I wanna see caco guts, not instant creamation.

DASI-I said:

I play all my first-person shooters without v-sync which allows the game to run above 60fps, it affects not just output speed but also effects input speed, I do this because the delay between input to output is reduced.

You are probably experiecing display input lag, which is worse the higher the framerate and the more intense the inter-frame differences. Traditional CRT monitors and plasma displays do not have this problem.

Some of my Doom 4 demands:

• Large, expansive, non-linear environments, like in the old games. Doom 3 was painfully linear, with most doors and areas being conveniently locked or blocked off.

• ACTUAL futuristic weapons, not just normal weapons that look "future-y" or generic pew-pew weapons that shoot bright orbs.

• Massive destructibility. I'm not saying every FPS needs to be like the Red Faction series, but static geometry is outdated. Players should be able to affect the environment in a number of ways.

• Better monster designs. Doom 3 had decent, detailed, nicely animated creatures, but they didn't strike the kind of fear in me that the originals did. I'd like to see some really sick designs, ala H. R. Giger. And obviously, no more of the gimmicky spawning, it often made the fight less challenging since you could just crown them with the shotgun while they were materializing.

• Less scripting. Give the player the option to make their own decisions, which will have drastic effects on the progression of the game.

• At least some environments based on classic Doom 2 maps, like Suburbs, Downtown, Industrial Zone, The Living End, Tricks and Traps, Nirvana, Monster Condo, etc.

• More emphasis on the demonic elements of the old games. It doesn't have to be straight up Satanic, but occultist and demonic imagery/symbolism has always been a big part of the Doom games.

GoatLord said:

• ACTUAL futuristic weapons, not just normal weapons that look "future-y" or generic pew-pew weapons that shoot bright orbs.

Doom's iconic weapon is the BFG so I'm not sure what the point of this comment is.

GoatLord said:

• Massive destructibility. I'm not saying every FPS needs to be like the Red Faction series, but static geometry is outdated. Players should be able to affect the environment in a number of ways.

not doom

GoatLord said:

• Less scripting. Give the player the option to make their own decisions, which will have drastic effects on the progression of the game.

Doom is not an RPG.

GoatLord said:

• More emphasis on the demonic elements of the old games. It doesn't have to be straight up Satanic, but occultist and demonic imagery/symbolism has always been a big part of the Doom games.

Actually it does need to be Satanic, otherwise it isn't Doom (see: the Doom Movie)

My wishlist is:

Better music than Wolfenstein/Quake 4. I don't know where overblown orchestration took over videogame soundtracks, but it needs to stop.

Don't make it Painkiller. I don't want every level to turn into "See enemies, butt-rock plays, kill shit, go on to the next room". I want some variety even if it means sections along the lines of Doom 3.

The Icon of Sin returns. Who doesn't want to see the mother of all demons return?

Mr. Freeze said:

The Icon of Sin returns. Who doesn't want to see the mother of all demons return?

Except this time, maybe the after you blow the rockets into it's head, the wall breaks down and falls apart, revealing an entire body to go with it. (Quadrupedal or Bipedal, either way it's awesome)

Mr. Freeze said:

I don't know where overblown orchestration took over videogame soundtracks, but it needs to stop.

Don't make it Painkiller. I don't want every level to turn into "See enemies, butt-rock plays, kill shit, go on to the next room". I want some variety even if it means sections along the lines of Doom 3.

Hear, hear.

The only kind of metal I'd want to hear in Doom 4 would be death metal, black metal, grindcore, doom metal and drone/ambient metal instrumentals. I've played the old Dooms with that kind of music and it works extremely well. Of course, id wouldn't be cool enough to include such brutality, so I'd just rather have PSX/N64 Doom style dark ambient music. There was similar music in Doom 3, but Aubrey Hodges really did something special with those ports, that I haven't heard replicated in any game since.

GoatLord said:

The only kind of metal I'd want to hear in Doom 4 would be death metal, black metal, grindcore, doom metal and drone/ambient metal instrumentals.

The genres of music in doom are thrash metal, crossover thrash and hardcore punk plus some ambient music.

Well, sure, but that was 17 years ago. These days, bands like Portal, Gnaw Their Tongues, Gorguts, Sunn 0))), Ehnahre and others have crafted a mature, very sinister kind of metal that, in instrumental form, would sit well in a modern Doom game.

I'd imagine something a bit more upbeat would work in combination with ambient tunes, much like the way the original game. I could certainly see a home for some darker, sinister crushing music, but really for the early levels you'd want something upbeat or fast-paced - so going back to the old thrash metal and punk wouldn't hurt, or using some pendulum/prodigy-esque electronic music would work too (IMO).

Ideally I'd want the music to be the same kind of brooding, low-fi dark ambience of the beloved PSX/N64 Dooms. I haven't heard more perfect Doom music.

GoatLord said:

Ideally I'd want the music to be the same kind of brooding, low-fi dark ambience of the beloved PSX/N64 Dooms. I haven't heard more perfect Doom music.

I'm busy building a 5 map WAD for Doom II that uses the music from the PSX version of doom becuase I think its perfect for a doom game. The originals were good, you know, the music from Bobby Prince was actually really good, he's a very good composer; it's just that the PSX version was just better and Doom 3 didn't even really have any music during gameplay. I hope they do a better job in Doom 4.

GoatLord said:

Well, sure, but that was 17 years ago. These days, bands like Portal, Gnaw Their Tongues, Gorguts, Sunn 0))), Ehnahre and others have crafted a mature, very sinister kind of metal that, in instrumental form, would sit well in a modern Doom game.

What?

Ughm, no. For as long as I have been listening to metal, death metal from the 80's is a lil bit better, and more sinister than most of the shit coming out today.

I agree doom metal would work great for, well, Doom. Like candlemass for example. It fits in pretty well. And progressive metal's. Some stuff by mastodon could work, too.

While doom metal is great(when done right), I don't think the slow, dark, downbeat feel of it would gel very well with the type of Doom game most of the people here want.