Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Unholypimpin

Doom2 Meets Zdoom(d2mzd) WIP -- (a doom2 remake wad)-- 14 map demo release!

Isn't there some kind of rule somewhere about id's maps not being allowed to be modified?

The idgames archive has a rule against modified IWAD levels, largely for quality control reasons. Id themselves explicitly allow modification of their maps, but it shouldn't matter anyway in this case, since

Alwaysdoomed said:

[...]this will be a doom2 remake wad where all maps will be built from scratch[...]

i should hopefully have the public beta out later this week or early next week. will include 6 maps

im still looking for a few more testers to help me make the beta as polished as possible

This is not what I'd call 'd2mzd', because it's nothing like KDIZD. The style of this wad is much closer to multiple 'revisited'-type wads, rather then 'zdoomed'-wads. KDIZD didn't really bother to remake original rooms or anything, its goal was to create a totally zdoomed environment, while just keeping some general layout features in some sectors only to try and preserve the atmosphere of D1E1 (which it didn't really, in my opinion, yet it was a great wad anyway).

This wad looks like the author took original D2 levels and started adding lines, sectors, slopes and lighting. It still looks totally vanilla. I'm not saying it's bad, I'm saying it's not Doom 2 meeting ZDoom, it's just Doom 2 reshaped.

dispite the name being similar to kdizd, this wad has nothing to do with it. This wad is designed to give a new feeling to doom2 by remaking the maps and putting in some zdoom features. This wad is suppose to still look vanillaish.

All the maps are still wip till the day i release the entire wad, so expect all maps to get more zdoom features as time goes by.

I should have a testers only beta ready in 1-2 days.

i was thinking of something like 07+ d64 playground + d64 hardcore
for map07.

All this depends on how well the first 6 maps i made are received.

Progress has been a bit slow, but this project is not dead.

Pretty much all i need to do is fix a few things with the 5 maps i have finished, and when thats all done I will be releasing a 6 map public beta of d2mzd.

Depending on how well the 5 maps are recieved will determine if I will continue this project or not. ((obviously i dont want to waste my time making the other maps if noone even likes how they are remade.))

I should have a public release ready in a few days.

Awesome, I would love to see this finished and up for download some day :D How long do you estimate it will take for this whole thing to reach 100% completion?

I just finished it. It's really awesome! I loved the scripting you did, I didn't know some of this stuff was possible. Keep up the good work. :)

This is much better than I expected!

I think it would be better if you added remixes of Doom2 tracks instead of just using the original ones.

Also, I think you should use Mapinfo to disable jumping so players don't have to figure it out for themselves whether it's allowed or not.

Now that I've played it a bit more I do have a couple complaints. The new monsters you added are interesting but in Map 2 When you go underwater there are way to many of those brain things and on top of it being hard to see and navigate under water I'm taking so much damage from all these floating brain things. This was there as well in Map 1 again in the under water sequence. It's way too hard to see and there's too many enemies shooting at you. Also in Map 1, the part when you enter the room and pick up the blue key the room goes dark for a second and changes, I know that's supposed to happen and it's really awesome, but the door that closes on the opposite end of the room doesn't open again. I can't figure out how to open it, I had to use no-clip to get through. Other then that, it's so far really good, just way too many monsters underwater.

888mikem888 said:

Also in Map 1, the part when you enter the room and pick up the blue key the room goes dark for a second and changes, I know that's supposed to happen and it's really awesome, but the door that closes on the opposite end of the room doesn't open again. I can't figure out how to open it

That room spawns imps and your suppose to kill them all to get out of that room.

I assumed there would be a hidden chainsaw at the start of MAP01 just like the original Doom 2, and spent about 10 minutes climbing over the rocks looking for it. Then I went into the building and there it was in plain sight!

Unless you plan to hide a secret in the outdoor area, I suggest you make the fence impassable.

What's the idea behind those traps that pin you to the spot for a few seconds? I don't get what's supposed to be going on there. That was very confusing at first. I thought I must have been trapped by a crusher or walked into an instant-death forcefield or something like that.

It would be nice to be able to fast-forward on the map screen (like you can on the standard intermission screen.)

Exit lines could be more clearly marked. When playing for the first time it is easy to inadvertently exit the level thinking you are just exploring a new room (and you want to go back to replenish ammo/health.) It's always obvious that you are near the exit, just not where the actual line is.) Maybe make it clearer with a narrow blinking sector or sky seam?

Oh wow i didnt even know the walls in the starting room could be jumped, thanks for bringing that to my attention.

the first trap ill remove the player immobilizing effect and maby the under water one too. The reason why i did the underwater one was to make it seem like the player was prying the door open since under water an electronic door shouldnt work.

Ill make the exit more visable and distinguished next version.

Thankyou for the feedback, did you enjoy playing the maps none the less?

Do you think i should keep on mapping for this project given how i made the first 6 maps?

Before i continue making more maps for this, i want to know if people actually like the project enought. (i dont wanna waste my time mapping if people dont like the maps.)

Processingcontrol said:

This is much better than I expected!

This.

I totally expected yet another terrible ZDoomy project that had lots of new features without having the basics of map layout and interesting gameplay.

But I was pleasantly surprised.

I don't like the brains much, I feel there are much more appropriate custom monsters that would suit a Doom 2 remake such as this. The projectile for those brains comes from Duke Nukem unless I am mistaken.

And as others have mentioned, perhaps making the underwater sequences a little less combat heavy.

But great stuff. Much much better than I expected as well.

As a big fan of Zdoom i would like to see moar details and linedefs...

But your mod seems promising anyway, keep up the good work :)

I like the idea, the skill bnehind, but theres one thing missing, watching gameplay map01 you lose the feeling of being at map01 when you enter the green metaql corridors. the grey crates with yombiemen and the missing door and lack of brightness just dont catch the feel

but othervise, its really good and dont add monsters that look mediveal as they did on KDiZD

im actually bumping up the detail and zdoom features even more in the maps.

i should have a new public beta with all the fixes and changes ready in about a week or so.

id like to announce a new contributer to d2mzd Pottus

he will be further detailing all the maps to make them look more up to date with zdoom features and like eyecandy.

heres some progress screenshots of what has been changed.

:-O! This looks fantastic!!!!!

But in some screenshots. The 3D sky camera shows the mountains from the side a little, making them appear flat.

Alwaysdoomed said:

heres some progress screenshots of what has been changed.

This looks very good! Downloaded, and playing. Cheers !

Alwaysdoomed said:

the recent detail changes arnt for download yet when map06 is finished ill release another public beta.

Doesn't matter to me right now, I have this link book marked. I'm simply happy Doom is being worked on after all those years. Shall we say thanks in advance? Again cheers :)