Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Andy Johnsen

Doom Comic

For a few years I've looked and never seen the Doom comic for sale anywhere like ebay. Shame really cause I'm wanting to sell my copy and wanted to compare a price. Looks like this comic is rare as rocking horse s***.

check for rips and tears?? was that an intended pun? :)

RIP AND TEAR

in all seriousness... someone needs to do a higher-res scan of this comic... i have this comic on my iphone and when i zoom in, it's all ugly.

Hi. I was lucky enough to pick few days ago the Doom comic version which wasn't included in the id anthology just for 25$ on. here's some pictures of my id anthology version and the other version side by side so you can compare them.

http://s1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc469/waffenak/?action=view¤t=DSCN0535.jpg

http://s1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc469/waffenak/?action=view¤t=DSCN0537.jpg

http://s1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc469/waffenak/?action=view¤t=DSCN0538.jpg

http://s1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc469/waffenak/?action=view¤t=DSCN0539.jpg

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing those!

I wish someone would do higher-res scans than what Doomworld provided.

If I owned the comic myself I'd do it.

If anyone has one they want to sell, I don't care which version it is. Email me at mbovett at gmail dot com.

$3000? NOW WE'RE IN THE BIG LEAGUES, BABY!

Since I'm essentially going to ruin the comic in order to get a good scan of it, I am probably not going to pay more than $25 or so :)

I wouldn't part with my hard copy of the (giveaway) Doom comic for all the money in the world (figure of speech). It's about the only collectible thing I have in my possession.

squint said:

Since I'm essentially going to ruin the comic in order to get a good scan of it, I am probably not going to pay more than $25 or so :)

No need to RIP AND TEAR - carefully remove the staples, feed the sheets through a half decent scanner then re-assemble. Works for me.

If you have Photoshop and save them as JPGs at Medium quality (60?) then they should turn out pretty awesome and fairly low file size. You could resize them down to something around 1280 × 1920 (you'd probably have to crop with the marquee tool at a 640x960 ratio though and then manually type in1280x1920 to get those exact numbers... if that isn't possible without cutting off some of the image then don't use those exact numbers but something close to it). Just keep them 300dpi. Do you need some place to upload them?

At 300dpi the front cover weighs in at 2010x3050 (give or take a few pixels) and there's nothing we can do about that, the pages inside have been edge trimmed so they'll be slightly narrower. I'm too much of a cheapskate to use Photoshop so GIMP and IrfanView will have to do, the fun part is getting the scans straight - don't like using software tools to straighten images since you tend to lose the finer detail. Don't know how many image hosting services would be happy with my monster scans, so they'll probably wind up on my under-utilized website and in a Zip archive on Mediafire.

Here's a thumbnail of Page 1, just to let you know I'm still working on it.

(535x794 - 1MB)

Look closely and you'll notice the bottom edge isn't straight. It's the same story with the other pages - in fact there don't seem to all that many straight edges - so it's going to be fun deciding where and by how much to crop.

The only way you could get around that is take the book apart and X-ACTO Knife the pages and then scan them.

If you can't do that, then what you have is totally fine. Don't worry about cropping. I can do that and clean up the pages and re-upload them for anyone else that wants them. Unless you want to do the cropping.

Whoo said:

You'll spend most of your life trying to track down a copy that doesn't cost a fortune.

Well, it did take about a year, with some casual ebay searching, but within two weeks I finally landed both versions from two completely different sources for a very affordable price. I had seen the ID anthology version around now and then, but declined to hit on it because of the 3-500$ price class on the box.

I talked to a friendly seller who offered me just the comic for $25, and landed that one two weeks ago. Neat quality, probably havnt been rolled up for a long time.

A week or two later, I tried to buy the difficult version from one of the posters here, but the pricetag of 1200£ was only good for a lol or two :) Three days ago I tracked down a collector in a completely differnt game community. A year ago he posted the doom comic for sale, unspecified version with a rather foggy picture. I mailed him and was fortunate enough to get the comic for $60, and it is as I belived, the alternate giveaway version. He actually recived the same offer a year ago, but for one reason or the other declined then. Luck, is the word I guess!

Had fun tracking down these two, both are in quite decent shape as well. Just figured I'd share my enthusiasem and also encourage other collectors to keep looking, sooner or later it does pop up. :)

http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad342/andyjohnsen1980/dobbel-loa.jpg

So, just to be absolutely clear: the Id Anthology version has the Final Doom, Hexen and Windows 95 adverts; the standalone version has the Hexen for Playstation, Playstation Plus and Final Doom for Playstation adverts. Is that correct?

The aspect ratio of the old scanner I used is a bit wonky, so having purchased a replacement I'm considering re-doing the scans.

GreyGhost said:

That's correct.

Cool. I just a copy of the standalone version off eBay for £5.

Well done. I think mine cost less than $20 - that's including airmail halfway around the world.

I was at a Chicago Comicon 2 years ago where I was standing next to a security guard and I heard a guy tell the guard he had a box full of comics stolen something stolen... He rambled off a bunch of comics and then ended with "My Doom Comic." Everyone stopped what they were doing and chuckled at the thought.

GreyGhost said:

The aspect ratio of the old scanner I used is a bit wonky, so having purchased a replacement I'm considering re-doing the scans.

Cool. Let us know when you're done.

Will do, though don't hold your breath in anticipation. :)

geo said:

I was at a Chicago Comicon 2 years ago where I was standing next to a security guard and I heard a guy tell the guard he had a box full of comics stolen something stolen... He rambled off a bunch of comics and then ended with "My Doom Comic." Everyone stopped what they were doing and chuckled at the thought.

Unless there's a thriving trans-Atlantic trade in stolen Doom comics I should be in the clear, purchased mine in 2008 from a UK-based seller.

@fraggle - mine cost £3.70 plus £3.50 P&P, the less favourable exchange rate back then and PayPal's 2.5% loading on currency conversions made it $16.43 in Ozzie dollars.