Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

EGA Doom Version 2.0

EGA Doom Version 2.0

What is it?

A rather silly experiment. It's basically a patch wad that runs Doom in 16 color EGA mode.

For the love of humanity, why?

Because it is fun! :D

Give it to me

Ok, here it is: http://www.braindamage.vg/doom/ega_pal_2.rar

If you really want the awful looking version one, then it is here: http://www.braindamage.vg/doom/ega_pal.rar

So are you going to post any screenshots?

How could I forget!

Don't let the screenshots convince you of anything in particular; it actually looks much better when it is in motion. And surprisingly, it doesn't make the game harder to play (it depends on how much Catacombs 3D and Commander Keen you have played).

Wow! What do you want in return for this thoughtful gift?

I would like everyone who uses this to take as many screenshots as possible from as many different Doom wads as they can think of and post them in this thread. No one wants to read a bunch of boring text, so please fill this thread with tons of awesome pictures.

PLEASE TAKE THEM IN 320x200 or 320x240 RESOLUTION, OTHERWISE EVERYONE WILL THINK YOU ARE A POSER. ALSO DOUBLE THEM UP IF YOU CAN.

Goodnight New York. Goodnight Chicago.

OH GOD MY FUCKING EYES

In all seriousness, it would probably look better without fading (fullbright colormap) (unless that's what you already did).

I snapped a bunch of shots using this in my CC4 map, but apparently I'm no longer allowed to batch upload to any image hosting sites in existence. You're right that static images don't do it justice, though. Scrolling slime is pretty intense when it's BRIGHT GREEN.

Are there any good joke wads that would be funny to view through this? I don't just mean badly designed maps and gameplay, but something with ridiculous textures or sprite edits or something.

Anyway, here are some more shots!!!

SpaceDM9

UAC Ultra looks like ZX Spectrum doom

Legendary CTF:

Sorry for the double post, it won't let me post any more images

I also took some chex screenshots:

The color of the caverns remind me of this:

HOLY SHIT
I HAVE THE BEST IDEA

What source ports support PC speakers or PC speaker emulation through standard audio output? Someone needs to record a video of them playing Doom with this while using PC speakers, that would be totally awesome.

More shots.

I know Chocolate Doom supports PC speaker sound effects.

Anyway, decided to run my stupid-ass wad with this.

GeckoYamori said:

Oh man, there really needs to be a PC Speaker SFX wad for this or something.

I think some source ports do support PC speakers, although I'm not sure if it is true PC speakers or emulation through normal speakers.

In any case, someone needs to record a video, and damn well put the microphone next to their computer case if they need to.

Actually, a camera recording this being played on a computer would probably look awesome anyway. Especially if it used a CRT monitor.

I think Chocolate Doom can do it, however that's a pretty niche port and not something I would use in general.

I could probably tackle it somehow by designing my own sounds with a square/pulse, then fiddle with reverb settings to get some acoustics.

Csonicgo said:

That's not what those wads look like with MY copy of doom. :|

Try it with the Freedoom IWADs. It'll crash on E1M1 in vanilla doom.exe, but not if you load a vanilla PWAD that replaces that level. Other Freedoom maps (E1M2, E1M3) actually load fine for me in Chocolate Doom, but you can't complete some without cheating (due to Boom-isms).

OK!

I found out that Chocolate Doom does support PC speaker emulation through direct sound (so it comes out of your normal speakers). This means that the sound can be recorded in a video of you playing, which you can put on YOUTUBE!

Someone needs to record a video of them playing ega_pal.wad, preferably in something colorful like E1M1. Configure Chocolate Doom to use PC speaker sound without any music.

You can't drag and drop files on the executable so you would have to type in the command line:

chocolate-doom.exe -iwad doom.wad -file ega_pal.wad

SOMEONE GET ON THIS, POST HASTE!

These are really cool! I remember someone uploaded an EGA palette for Doom along with a CGA palette on /idgames a while ago but they weren't as good as this one. Any chance we could see a NES colormap?

What's funny is that I think the EGA blues look a lot better than the ones in the original DOOM palette.

I assume this is just an EGA palette, though, not a true 16-color EGA display mode.

Sigvatr said:

OK!

I found out that Chocolate Doom does support PC speaker emulation through direct sound (so it comes out of your normal speakers). This means that the sound can be recorded in a video of you playing, which you can put on YOUTUBE!

Someone needs to record a video of them playing ega_pal.wad, preferably in something colorful like E1M1. Configure Chocolate Doom to use PC speaker sound without any music.

You can't drag and drop files on the executable so you would have to type in the command line:

chocolate-doom.exe -iwad doom.wad -file ega_pal.wad

SOMEONE GET ON THIS, POST HASTE!

I'm already uploading it, but my connection sucks ass so it would take a long time until it gets done.

AlektorophobiA said:

I'm already uploading it, but my connection sucks ass so it would take a long time until it gets done.

Haha yeah, I am uploading one now too, but it thinks it will take 45 minutes... :/

Tried sid.wad with both the EGA and Game Boy pallettes. Only took shots of EGA though:

Taken with Eternity and at 800x600 because I'm proud to pose.