Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
esselfortium

D_RUNNIN Appreciation Station

We're long overdue for this thread, a thread for us to share our favorite D_RUNNIN facts and experiences.

It's time we as a community stop lying to ourselves.

Yes, that's right. Come on, admit it: you know you love D_RUNNIN. That guitar solo...

What do you love most about D_RUNNIN?
("Nomusic", "idmus", and similar are not valid answers. This is a thread about D_RUNNIN!)

I love that when the author forgets or doesn't care to add new music to his pwad, D_RUNNIN is always there for you, through thick and thin, no matter what.

well first there's the bass, and then the drums are all "I'M GONNA KILL YOU" and then I'm all like "BITCH PLEASE I EAT DRUMS LIKE YOU FOR BREAKFAST" before all going awesome, then the chords all of my internal organs are like resonatin', man, and then there is that FUCKING GUITAR SOLO YEAH, i dont believe i know how to i ever lived my life before ever hearing this sogn, yeah it rocks all my socks off even though im not wearing socks, LOOOOOOOOOOOOL

ba-bum ba-bum ba-bum ba-bum-bum-bop!
ba-bum ba-bum ba-bum ba-bum-bum-bip-bop!
ba-bum ba-bum ba-bum ba-bum-bum-bip-bop-bop-bop!
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
bump-bump
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
bump-bump

I realize that this thread is just a joke, but I'm not lying to myself, I really do hate that song to death. :P

It's just so noisy and irritating to hear it in any map in the MAP01 slot, besides the original, which is the only place that it fit. Meh, I kinda like D_E1M1 better anyway.

The organ part especially is horrid to my ears.

esselfortium said:

This thread isn't a "joke". Grow up, asshole.

Gah, I can't tell if you're joking or not! :P It seems like people are being serious when the don't use any emoticons (with the exceptions of :|, or :\), yet your response is absurd, but I'm leaning toward that that post is a joke too. :P

EDIT: and all the responses make it appear as if other perceive it as a joke :P (gee, I sure use the ":P" emoticon a lot, don't I? :P)

In all seriousness, D_RUNNIN once inspired me to continue working on Eternity when I had about decided to give it up.

Sodaholic said:

Gah, I can't tell if you're joking or not! :P It seems like people are being serious when the don't use any emoticons (with the exceptions of :|, or :\), yet your response is absurd, but I'm leaning toward that that post is a joke too. :P

EDIT: and all the responses make it appear as if other perceive it as a joke :P (gee, I sure use the ":P" emoticon a lot, don't I? :P)

You're new around here aren't you?

rf` said:

You're new around here aren't you?

Well, sorta. Even though my account's been around since 07, I haven't started posting here until recently. Though that post itself was a joke, I could tell he was kidding.

I love D_RUNNIN since I mostly play megawads which most of the time replace the music. So I haven't had to hear that song millions of times upon playing single level PWADs.

Marnetmar said:

Some say that playing D_RUNNIN in OPL3 will summon an angel.

Actually, angels are summoned no matter what it's played on. Then there's so many angels in the room none of them can go to the bathroom so they piss themselves and turn into more demons for Doomguy to kill.

I could listen to that track for days on end - in fact I've done so while sifting the contents of shovelware disks in the hope of finding a lost gem or two.

It's the perfect melody for a pastoral picnic down by the river with three imps and a shotgun.

I actually like D_RUNNIN. It's one of the most memorable Doom songs for me, besides "Untitled" from Doom 1.

Mainly that it makes me think of Map01 deathmatch duels.

hex11 said:

It's the perfect melody for a pastoral picnic down by the river with three imps and a shotgun.

THREE imps? What difficulty have you been playing on?

:D

esselfortium said:

What do you love most about D_RUNNIN?
("Nomusic", "idmus", and similar are not valid answers. This is a thread about D_RUNNIN!)

Some pwads have a pretty good D_RUNNIN entry - it's a major reason why I normally have a music wad preloaded. The rules you have laid down for this thread prevent me from saying anything about the one in Doom2.wad.

DuckReconMajor said:

Actually, angels are summoned no matter what it's played on. Then there's so many angels in the room none of them can go to the bathroom so they piss themselves and turn into more demons for Doomguy to kill.

Oops, that came out wrong.

If you play D_RUNNIN in OPL3 you will summon God.

Grazza said:

Some pwads have a pretty good D_RUNNIN entry - it's a major reason why I normally have a music wad preloaded. The rules you have laid down for this thread prevent me from saying anything about the one in Doom2.wad.

Er, how so? I'm not seeing it.

Ok... I think you guys have found me (and many others) out. I've always claimed to hate the song, and indeed, there are these points in time where I just can't stand to hear it. But then, after having not listened to it for a while, I suddenly get this urge to listen to it, maybe play MAP01 or MAP15 in the process, but I don't think it's one of the songs I'd be able to listen for 8 hours on loop.

bgraybr said:

THREE imps? What difficulty have you been playing on?

The real old school way:
chocolate-doom -skill 3 -nomouse

I also think the MP3 version is really awesome. Actually, I'd go as far as to say the Doom/Doom II soundtrack on MP3 is pretty good for the mapping process, but that's not entirely relevant to the awesomeness of D_RUNNIN.