Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Marnetmar

E1M1 and MAP01

Is there a reason why Ultimate Freedoom and Freedoom have the exact same starting map? If Ultimate Freedoom/Freedoom doesn't have one yet I'd be happy to submit a map.

Pretty sure the original FreeDoom MAP01 was removed because everyone hated it. I'd like to see a new MAP01, since the current one fits Ultimate FreeDoom great, but doesn't feel much like a Doom 2 map at all.

Sweet. Do the maps have to be done in a certain style? From what I've played it seems like a less strict DTWID. I apologize for my ignorance, I'm new to Freedoom.

I map pretty closely to the original Doom maps, but I'm pretty sure that, outside of the general theme of the original map, you can pretty much go wherever with it.

Freedoom README says:

=== Levels

Levels should be in Boom format; you may exceed the limits of Vanilla
Doom and use Boom features; however, do not use features that are not
supported by Boom 2.02 and compatible ports. Levels should be in Doom's
original format, not in ``Hexen'' format.

It is sensible to also heed the following guidelines:

* Make sure that skill levels are implemented, and that all
multiplayer start points are present.
* Make levels appropriately difficult for their position within the
progression of the game. Also bear in mind that not all players may
be as skilled a player as you.
* Do not use tricks that exploit Doom's software renderer; some source
ports, especially those that use hardware accelerated rendering, may
not render it properly. Examples of tricks to avoid include those used
to simulate 3D bridges and ``deep water'' effects.
* Boom removes almost all of the limits on rendering; however, do not
make excessively complicated scenes. It is desirable that Freedoom
levels should be playable on old or low-powered hardware.
* Always test in http://www.teamtnt.com/boompubl/boom2.htm[Boom]
itself rather than a derivative such as PrBoom. This ensures that
your levels really are Boom-compatible rather than using any extra
features. As DOS is rather rare these days, you may not have a
system which can run Boom natively, so you may use either
http://www.dosbox.com/[DOSBox] or http://www.freedos.org/[FreeDOS].

There's nothing in there about the aesthetic style of the maps, so you have pretty loose reins, but I'd stick to the general theme (techbase) of the equivalent Doom or Doom II map, personally.

Testing with the real Boom sounds like a chore, unless you've got a handy DOS machine nearby, or a really fast machine for DOSBox. On my laptop (with DOSBox), even regular ol' doom.exe is fairly slow, and I imagine Boom puts more demands on the system.

Is there no way to turn off some the advanced features of PrBoom to get the original Boom behavior?

Alright, excellent.

One more question, does anyone have the original MAP01 so I can see just how bad it was?

It wasn't bad, it was too similar to id's maps. Ultimate Freedoom's e2m1, e3m1 and e4m1 are also likely going to be removed for the same reason.

Freedoom Guide said:

the limits of Vanilla
Doom and use Boom features

I dont want to take this thread to anoher way... but anyone can post what are those limits? i have years mapping but i never found really what is the size map limit for Doom. and more for Vanilla, so i can make changes needed for E1m5 if this one got over the limit size

Marnetmar said:

One more question, does anyone have the original MAP01 so I can see just how bad it was?

Check your PMs.

Has it got an outdoors area with a river, 3 imps, and a shotgun? Cause those are must-haves for MAP01, you know. ;)

hex11 said:

Is there no way to turn off some the advanced features of PrBoom to get the original Boom behavior?

-complevel 9

This emulates the behaviour of Boom 2.02 accurately, but does not impose all limits and fatal bugs. You'll need prboom202 for that - though you could use prboom-plus for most of your testing (check stdot.txt for any warnings), and just check that the map actually loads with prboom202.

I made my maps follow the story line. Hero starts out at tech base (I forgot where Mars ??, Demios ??, or is it Phobos ) and works his way
through tunnels ? and (MAP09) to space base, and then goes back to earth (MAP13), and then the series where the aliens have altered our world, and then the demon world series.

I hope that FreeDoom will maintain a contiguous story line and appear connected, instead of being a random assortment of levels.

The early maps should leave the skin and similar textures for the demon world series.

As previously mentioned, MAP01 should only have shotgun, as better weapons are introduced in later maps.

MAP01 must also be an introductory level. It needs to teach about secret areas and other game features that other levels may use in a more fiendish way. I also believe that it should limit itself to 1/2 the size of other big levels.

I always wondered about those trees outside on the airless moon (or was it mars). I took the trees out of MAP09 because it seemed wrong that earth trees would be outside on another planet.
If you assume that mars has been terra-formed, then there would be no distinction between mars and earth at all, and I prefer the distinction.

The UAC planted trees on Phobos and Deimos so that they'd seem less dumb after having ordered all these chainsaws.

But all that is moot because the storyline for Freedoom doesn't reference Martian moons or demons anyway.

Marnetmar said:

the soulsphere has a pentagram on it.

So has your local Masonic Lodge. What you fail to realize is that in Freedoom it's the masons who are leading the resistance against Afterglow's Mum, her minions and army of cyber-mutants.

Hasn't the FreeDoom chainsaw migrated into some relative of a circular saw, like those fire rescue saws ?
Trees on space port levels would be better indoors or in domes, to refresh (replenish) the air, IMSomewhatHO. { You ever try typing dome, and have it keep coming out doom >) }
Unfortunately, the sky looks cloudy (toxic cloudy?), and not stars.

(Edit: relevant to this thread because of the observation that MAP01 usually has an area with trees, and I suggest that MAP01 have any trees indoors. Since the original Doom did not follow an established fantasy book (like D&D) we see many confusing incongruencies. I hope to improve on some of them.)

I originally did E1M1 and tried to develop something which vaguely fit the story that had been proposed for Freedoom at the time, whilst referencing E1 in as subtle a way as possible, just for the fans, because…

hex11 said:

Has it got an outdoors area with a river, 3 imps, and a shotgun? Cause those are must-haves for MAP01, you know. ;)

…Freedoom is not meant to be a Doom (or Doom 2) rip off and there's no reason whatsoever for Freedoom MAP01 to resemble Doom 2 MAP01 (or Doom E1M1 or anything else).

I decided to copy several of the freedoom episode 1 maps into the doom2 map slots because the quality was much higher than some of the ones we had, and there was more consistency. My E1M1 went to MAP01, but I also copied Fraggle's E1M3 and at least two other E1 maps into early doom2 map slots.

From a "I'm no longer running the project but if I was" perspective, I'd say replacing MAP01 with a new map is a waste of time. There are other areas of Freedoom that have low quality resources and others which are not done at all yet. I also think it would be worth coming up with a vaguely coherent story and/or theme if you want to start worrying about levels looking like they fit better.

Here's my horrible attempt at a story. :P

In the year 2168, the gigantic multi-planetary, multi-industry monopoly corporation known as the AGM have had near total control of the earth. True, the government is still there, but they are powerless to the will of the AGM.

The AGM was started in 2031, as some small science related thing. They eventually grew so much, that they controlled almost ever industry you can think of.

The AGM is working on "Project DarkGate", a top secret experiment for creating portal technology that manipulates the quantum states and somehow involves antimatter or something crazy like that. Research is going well so far, except...

Elsewhere...

There is an alternate universe, known as Hades. It is a world of darkness and despair, everyone for themselves, and survival of the fittest. Many alien races are there (the different kinds of monsters).

They invade other universes and conquer them all the time. At the heart of the most powerful of several militias in Hades, they discover a signal on the quantum radar (whatever the fuck that is), finding that there was direct and unencrypted manipulation of dimensions, they figure it must be part of a teleport system.

They do some more investigation, and decide that they want to invade our universe to steal our technology and enslave us.

Back home...

The scientists notice unusual behavior on the monitors, it appears that the quantum shit is being directly manipulated by a 3rd party. They assume that it could be some friendly aliens that would like to meet us, so they decide to allow it to continue, so that mankind may finally meet extra-terrestrial life...

Turns out it didn't work too well. Swarms and swarms of alien monsters come in, kill everybody, and all kinds of things.

Now you have to fight off the alien invasion, as you're one of the few surviving security guards from the initial wave of attackers.

That does not supply detailed information that would direct the
design of levels. Needs descriptions of level context, where mankind has explored, building style on planet/moon, etc.

The kind of story line I was thinking of would sound like this
(off the top of my head):

The year is 2032.
Mankind has made it to Mars, the moons of Mars, and is exploring Titan. Earth has not changed much.

Mars has atmosphere.
Moons do not have atmosphere that would support plants ??
Plants only appear in the domes or underground gardens ??
Moons have a dust atmosphere and bad dust storms (airless) because of all the mining ??

Hero starts at a tech base on a moon of mars (pick one).
The moon has an industry of mining, exploration, military uses, and dangerous experiments.
Population live in domes or underground. The industry is scattered about domes and military tech bases.
They are connected by underground passages. Not much for organized mass transit here.
There are mines and secret military bases and not much else.
Cannot walk outside because there is no air ??

Battle proceeds from one tech base to another.
Battle can proceed from moon to mars itself.
At map12 battle proceeds to earth city, and then to tech bases on earth.

At mapx1 aliens are found to have imported some of their technology
to earth (it does not appear before this).

At mapx2 battle proceeds to alien outposts/hell, with alien skin themes (which did not appear before this).

Nice stuff guys, I guess I'll write one too. Would you submit storylines as you would any other kind of Freedoom content?