Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
esselfortium

EE-Effects.wad: Nashgore-based blood, faux brightmaps, and more!

A while back I got some ideas for some special-effect stuff to make for Eternity. It was originally for specific use with a certain project, but I decided to work on it as a standalone addon so that it could be used with Doom2 or other wads (well, assuming the wads don't replace too much of Doom's stuff I guess).

Its current features include:
- Nashgore-based blood spurt effects
- Additive faux-brightmaps and coronas for floor lamps
- Bright translucent flames on torches
- KDiZD-based subtle smoke trails on imp fireballs
- Additive-blended plasma, bfg, and other "bright" projectiles, a la The ZDoom
- Simplicity palette, with softer blues and greens (I wasn't planning on including this, since it seems to be so commonly-used these days, but the techlamps' faux-brightmaps looked terrible without it)

In the future it will likely also include bullet casing effects from player hitscan weapons, and other nifty stuff.

Keeping in mind that this is still a work-in-progress, that I know some aspects of it aren't "perfect" at the moment, and that I'm just doing this for fun, here's the download link:

http://sl4.poned.com/wasd/ee-effects.wad

I use SVN builds of Eternity, rather than the old 3.33.50 release, so this almost definitely requires a recent SVN build to run correctly. You can get a recent build in a nice pre-set up package here:

http://sl4.poned.com/wasd/eternity-starter-kit.zip

I know these kinds of addons aren't everybody's "thing", so I don't really want to hear about it if you think I've soiled Doom's untouchable greatness or whatever; if you don't like it, don't use it. With that said, though, of course if you have any ideas, suggestions, or find any bugs or issues, please let me know!

At the moment, this will only work with Doom II. Its incompatibility with Ultimate Doom should be fixable by changing a couple of sprite names, but I haven't gotten around to doing it yet.

Credit goes to Nash, Nmn, AgentSpork, Quasar, and Joe for the blood effects, the imp fireball effects, the Simplicity palette, and for helping me out with EDF stuff, respectively. :)

I think this really shows off what EE can do as of October. It can only get better from here!

also, wow, the plasma looks really bright now. now if only you could add 60Hz hum sounds to the lights... :P

Csonicgo said:

I think this really shows off what EE can do as of October. It can only get better from here!

I dunno if I'd say that. This is just a small portion of what it's capable of. Thanks, though!

Unfortunately I don't think anybody looks at this forum, essel ;) You might have to spread the word elsewhere to get some response.

(* Quasar` is posting from work. Naughty!)

Quasar said:

Unfortunately I don't think anybody looks at this forum, essel ;) You might have to spread the word elsewhere to get some response.

(* Quasar` is posting from work. Naughty!)

Heh, that's not a bad point...I might repost this in WADs and Mods the next time I make a major update to it.

I need to get around to making faux-brightmaps for the candelabra and some other things, as well as probably adjusting the torches to light up part of the stick, for one thing. I'll also add topdamage for torches, as you suggested, and bullet casings eventually, wheenver the extended player missile codepointer is added.

I'm not planning on adding shootable decorations/gibs, replacing sounds, or anything else like that. I could, but it doesn't really interest me, so I'm not going to bother putting it into this addon.

If anyone has any ideas for possible features, changes, or additions, though, I'd love to hear them! :)

i check this forum every once in a while. i just think that for some reason my version of EE is bugged, since i cant pass through some portals sometimes, and sometimes more that one portal results in HOM.

Butts said:

i check this forum every once in a while. i just think that for some reason my version of EE is bugged, since i cant pass through some portals sometimes, and sometimes more that one portal results in HOM.

You sure you're using a recent SVN? Also, make sure you don't have "Disable 3D Object Clipping" turned on in the Compatibility settings.

not sure if im using a recent build, and i have it checked in compatibility. maybe i just suck at using portals.

This is awesome essel! I thought the torches and the lamps looked amazing! I'm use to the Nashgore stuff by now, but of course it's still really cool to see it in EE.

Is there a way to have EE autoload .wads? I'd definitely have this one always loaded if so.

Also OMG you changed your avatar :O

Mechadon said:

This is awesome essel! I thought the torches and the lamps looked amazing! I'm use to the Nashgore stuff by now, but of course it's still really cool to see it in EE.

Is there a way to have EE autoload .wads? I'd definitely have this one always loaded if so.

Also OMG you changed your avatar :O

Thanks Mech! If you're used to how Nashgore works in ZDoom, you'll probably notice some differences in my "port" of it. I used its DECORATE for reference, but I didn't make any attempt to reproduce it exactly; I just got it working and then tweaked it a bit as I saw fit. I also left out the (annoying, IMO) sound effects and the gibs.

To make EE autoload this with Doom2, create an "autoload" folder in /base/doom2/.

Don't put it in /base/doom/, as this current version is broken with Doom 1. It finds that I included some extra frames for the Doom2 tech lamps (for the additive faux-brighmap/corona overlays), but it can't find the original A through D frames which are in Doom2.wad and not Doom.wad, so it errors out. It should be easily fixable just by changing the sprite names I'm using to something different and then making them start from A, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. I keep forgetting :P

Okay, welp, it seems that autoloading this causes problems with loading other wads that have their own EDF. Meaning that the other wads being loaded have their thing and frame definitions ignored.

This won't cause any problems with regular Boom-compatible wads (I've tested it in Scythe 2 and haven't had any problems), but Eternity wads that define their own EDF stuff won't work properly at all.

Quasar explained the technical reasons behind this issue the other day, and it seems that correcting it will require a whole bunch of code changes, but it should be fixed eventually. In the meantime, of course, there aren't exactly a lot of EE wads out right now in the first place, so you're unlikely to run into this unless you're either developing your own project (Vapor!) or trying to play De Kerker. Still worth noting, though. :P

esselfortium said:

Quasar explained the technical reasons behind this issue the other day, and it seems that correcting it will require a whole bunch of code changes...

In other words it's about time to make mobjinfo_t and state_t fully dynamic ;) Allocating them as an array isn't going to work any more :P

I'm bumping this to state publicly: this need to be finished somehow! like add the new animations for weapons and the other goodies to this. Please? :3

Csonicgo said:

I'm bumping this to state publicly: this need to be finished somehow! like add the new animations for weapons and the other goodies to this. Please? :3

CSG, you have vaporware-res, all of the stuff you keep asking me for is in there, just use that and leave me alone :(

Thanks Csonicgo for bumping this thread cause I didn't know this sort of thing existed for EE :D

The reason you don't know? The editing documentation is FOUR YEARS old now, and hence the TWO YEAR OLD example wad from above is using EDF stuff that I didn't know even existed.

Mordeth said:

The reason you don't know? The editing documentation is FOUR YEARS old now, and hence the TWO YEAR OLD example wad from above is using EDF stuff that I didn't know even existed.

The wiki has been worked on significantly in the past few months. Please check it out.

esselfortium said:

CSG, you have vaporware-res, all of the stuff you keep asking me for is in there, just use that and leave me alone :(

yeah but it fucks with textures! :P

meh, I guess I'll manually take out the un-needed mess.

Sorry for the necrobump but I was wondering if you still intend to release an update to this (or a working link to the old one). When I played through the Vapourware demo I was really impressed by the effects in use as I hadn't used EE for quite some time but when I went back to playing 'ordinary' wads I realised the fancy stuff was the work of Vapourware.

PS: I just stumbled across this thread after noticing the new build of EE and never knew of it's existence before...

esselfortium said:

http://sl4.poned.com/wasd/ee-effects.wad

I use SVN builds of Eternity, rather than the old 3.33.50 release, so this almost definitely requires a recent SVN build to run correctly. You can get a recent build in a nice pre-set up package here:

http://sl4.poned.com/wasd/eternity-starter-kit.zip

Where can I find these files in your current website? Are they highly similar to what's in Vaporware Demo?