Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bloodshedder

The /newstuff Chronicles #389

• Castle of Combat for HERETIC, REG ONLY - Martin E. Ferris
    Heretic - Vanilla - Solo Play - 63041 bytes - (img) (img) (img) (img) (img)
    Reviewed by: walter confalonieri
    Here we've got another level uploaded from the night of times by the phantom uploader (TM), Perseus!

This is a level of a never-ending (well, until now) Heretic level series called "Castle of Combat", and well, this level is really nice, although the limit of editors of that age (1997, if I don't wrong). There's some good usage of texturing and really cool usage of lighting, that make this one a really good looking hidden classic, forgotten in the dusty arcane memory of any level compilation for 90s FPS games...

Gameplay is addicting and make looks this wad a sort of slaughter map (oh well, maybe not so hard), and this castle could be a little hard to be defeated... probably the only thing can maybe somebody doesn't like is the huge amount of the ammo on the castle walls, but it could be accepted since is enough useful to the accomplishment of your mission...

So, this is a worth download IMHO, just for have some fun... but download play this one. Recommended for old-school lovers...

• Chill 3 - Nautilus
    Doom 2 - Boom Compatible - Deathmatch - 566566 bytes - (img) (img) (img) (img) (img) (img)
    Reviewed by: st.alfonzo
    When a certain Scary Movie villain declared that not only was he chilling but killing also, any doubts as to whether matching death and kicking back could combine to create an ultimate out-of-this-world deathmatch experience were not just abolished, but obliterated. Shat upon, in fact. Chill 3 is one of the most refined set of maps ever to hit /idgames, and unlike so many others of its sort won't discriminate between one preference of play or another. It's much too cool for that. You could even call it promiscuous.

Featuring maps by circuit kings Ralphis and Rottking, Nautilus's Chill 3 is remarkably simple even for a set of maps designed for 1-on-1 deathmatch play. The maps all use stock Doom 2 textures for starters, which along with the arcade inspired title screen succeed in inseminating a sense of the old school, but they also have the good decency to abstain from excessive detailing for maximum manoeuvrability, which is something everyone should have come to demand from deathmatch sets by now. Each of the 9 maps are highly dynamic, with plenty of timed switches and spatial diversity with which to create opportunity in combat. To compensate for any perceived tone-down in the detail department, however, Nautilus has maintained in supplying the player with what is easily the defining feature of this series: a musical selection so intoxicatingly classy it'll cure dyspraxia and slip into you finer than a bottle of Johnny Walker Black (accept no substitutes!). Through this alone the beauty-gameplay balance is balanced high, the perfect deathmatch environment is created, and the murder may commence. And continue unabated. Simple; definitive; the master's craft.

Revenge may be a dish best served cold, but chillin'? There's a deathmatch for that.

• Shinobi - Richard Smith Long
    Doom/Doom 2 - GZDoom - Solo Play - 3966865 bytes - (img) (img) (img)
    Reviewed by: Kirby
    I have recently slid back into my bad habit of claiming wads, playing through them and taking screenshots, but then putting off the actual review writing process until my claim is automatically relinquished. Though this time I would blame that slip into misbehavior on Mobius, which I simply cringed at every time I even thought about writing a review. Anyways, in an effort to break out of that habit and get back on track, I decided to take a look at Richard Smith Long's "Shinobi" mod played through GZDoom.

The first thing that I must point out is that the weapon sprites just do not fit in at all, at least in my eyes. I appreciate the thought of using higher-res images on a port that can handle them, but these just look utterly ridiculous. It literally looks like I could've done these myself by taking photos of my hands holding the various weapons and then editing them in Photoshop or whatnot so as to put them in a Doom mod. The hands used in each weapon sprite look like the palest skinned person I could imagine, and most all of the weapons themselves just look downright silly.

The weapons occupying the first two slots, for example, look very strange. In slot 2 you are holding black "Stalker Darts", but in all honesty it just looks like you're holding 3 black pens/pencils. In slot 1 you have your fists which are equipped with "Tiger Bracers" but come on, it looks like some dude with a seat belt wrapped around each hand. There are several included power-ups which are nothing particularly special, the rest of the weapons are all things we've seen before, and the newly included wall-jump feature is useless in ordinary Doom. At the least I would've been more impressed if a level set had been included to be specifically used with this mod, but just using it in plain Doom or other mods is pointless.

Basically - nothing new/nothing we haven't seen before in other mods, only now we have weapon sprites apparently handled by the whitest ninja known to man. I attempted to look up said "Last Warrior" mod that RSL claims to have gotten these weapon sprites from but found no hint of it anywhere, so I am at a loss as to where these sprites came from in the first place. Either way you're not missing much by not playing this one.

• Double Impact - RottKing & Ralphis
    Ultimate Doom - Limit Removing - Solo Play - 1374152 bytes - (img) (img) (img) (img)
    Reviewed by: Melon
    Double Impact is a very good Episode 1-themed episode for the original Doom. Note that I hesitate to call it an Episode 1 replacement in case you end up with the wrong idea; while Double Impact is largely Episode 1 style, primarily exploring nonlinear levels using low power weapons against weak enemies, it's also not afraid to stray from the formula occasionally.

The levels are way harder and bigger than their official counterparts; I found myself needing to drop down a difficulty on my first attempt. The difficulty progression across the entire episode felt like the progression you might find across a whole Doom 2 megawad, with the difficulty ramping up quite a lot for the later levels. Be forewarned that the final level is a huge shift in gameplay style and might not be to everyone's taste. I feel like a lot of people may not finish the wad without cheating even on I'm Too Young to Die because of it. There are a lot of secrets in this wad and on the whole they are hidden very creatively; the authors pulled out every trick in the book to try and hide all of the secrets in imaginative and varied ways.

Overall I recommend everybody to download this wad and give it a shot; even if you don't finish it, it's a very well crafted level set that deserves some of your time.

• WARBABY.WAD consisting of TECH.WAD, BEN10.WAD, ASSMUNCH.WAD - Warbaby aka Ben Morris
    Ultimate Doom - Vanilla - Solo Play - 181021 bytes - (img) (img) (img) (img) (img)
    Reviewed by: Joshy
    I seem to have a fetish when it comes to choosing a map to review. I seem to like reviewing early nineties maps. Perhaps it's the nostalgia and the simplicity, or the authors are mostly not around anymore so I can say whatever the hell I want without having my arse burnt off from all the criticisms coming out of the mouths of raving offended authors... still got the raving review critics though, so never mind all that.

Not that I'm saying I'd like to bad-mouth this early 90's WAD that includes three levels for Doom 1, Episode 2 (E2M1, E2M2 and E2M3); it was fun to play through for me, although there are some downers you have to be aware of:

Bugs: E2M2, sector 250, the lift apparently can only be activated via a walkover when it should have been a switch instead. You'll need to no-clip here.

UNMT (Unwanted Nineties Mapping Traits, not Ultimate Ninja Mutant Turtles): E2M3 has a decoy red skull key that leads to an inescapable pit full of barons. Nasty. A trap involves you teleporting dead-set behind a baron where you cannot escape, briefly giving enough time for the baron to slash you down (there is a way out of this though but was probably not to the author's intention). Nasty. These maps does not have enough ammo to allow for all monsters killed. You'll have to leave behind some when you exit the level. Very unlike the Doomguy, don't you think?

But I digress. If this WAD was actually from 1995, then it's relatively impressive! Architecture is quite solid for its time and quite dynamic (plenty of floor/ceiling height varieties and moving floors), gameplay is actually challenging (use save/load to embrace some of the nasty traps, although some were pretty clever) and texturing is decent, save for inevitable numerous misalignments (not what you'd consider worst case scenario).

Overall, give it a blast. Just make sure you memorise the no-clipping cheat, as it'll come in handy. (That's I-D-C-L-I-P). Try writing the code on the blackboard 200 times if you haven't memorised it already.

• Kashimir - Memfis
    Doom 2 - Vanilla - Solo Play - 60599 bytes - (img) (img)
    Reviewed by: st.alfonzo
    "All I see turns to Tenement inspired map replacements with a bit of Requiem map01 thrown in for good measure." Sorry, that's about as far as I can take that play on words. Take it or leave it.

Although it would probably serve better as an opening or intermediate map in a set than as an allegory for yellow desert streams and something about eyes filling with sand, Kashmir's simple gameplay and late 90's vibe give it an edge of charm that should certainly win over a couple minutes of your time. If playing Doom maps were ever considered a form of sustenance, you could probably liken this one to a granola bar, or even a packet of dried fruit. It's flavour packed, chewy, and though it isn't quite lunch; it will remind you of why you don't dig into the pantry* every second visit to masticate Joe Standard of the mapping archives.

*Let me take you there!

• Digon Base - Raw Action - Callum Guy Oliver aka phobosdeimos1
    Doom 2 - ZDoom Compatible - Solo Play - 344867 bytes - (img) (img) (img) (img) (img) (img)
    Reviewed by: Mithran Denizen
    This is a set of five small to medium-sized techbase maps for ZDoom, in a very "Classic PWAD" style which uses none of the engine's advanced features. The author recommends that you enable crouching and jumping however, with the latter being required to complete at least one map. Difficulty progression is fair but forgiving, while I feel that the above average layout, interconnectivity, and combat flow are somewhat marred by the repetitive and often confusing switch hunts which define the gameplay. Digon Base may warrant a quick play, so long as you aren't expecting any detailed architecture and don't mind running around without much direction at a few points.

• Strange! - Loki
    Doom 2 - ZDoom Compatible - Solo Play - 120856 bytes - (img) (img) (img) (img) (img) (img) (img) (img)
    Reviewed by: yylow30
    Strange is indeed a word to describe this map. The entire map's theme is a strange grey structure situated on top of damaging water.

The map was quite short and the monsters aren't any stronger than 3 Arachnotrons at any point in the map. However there is a big catch: weapons are extremely rare, and you will be pretty much running around with just a pistol, or fist, that is, if you are unable to find the secrets that are hidden around the map.

Having a good knowledge and skill of rocket jumping and jumping itself would be a vast advantage, for it is much needed in this map. There is a tower where you will need to rocket yourself up. While there is plenty of health and armor, by the time you reach the key, your armor will have been drained off, you will be injured, and you still have one last final rocket jump in order to exit. I would say it will take a MIRACLE if you want to get out of this area alive. But miracles happen; I managed to jump back out with just 3% health only to immediately get killed by a sniping hitscanner.

You got it right. Sniping hitscanners. Chaingunners and Imps perched on top of vertical poles are all over the place to slowly, painfully, drain your health away while you are struggling to survive the nuke - just take a look at the screenshots - with few health packs to spare.

Sad to say, even though it is pretty decent, this map is not much in flavor for me. Give it a shot if you want some training with rocket-jumping.

• MEINHAUS.WAD - Karl Minor
    Doom 2 - Vanilla - Solo Play - 196268 bytes - (img) (img) (img) (img) (img) (img) (img) (img)
    Reviewed by: bgraybr
    meinhaus.wad is a collection of three maps for Doom 2. The author claims that he was "shooting for the flavor of the original DOOM levels". If he truly was, it certainty doesn't show in any of the levels.

The first level started off in a rather empty, square room which led into a dark, narrow tunnel full of demons and shotgun guys. After dying several times, I found the chainsaw secret in the first room and was able to continue. The hallway unfortunately led straight into a cramped outside area chock full of even more demons, along with a mancubus and a few imps.

After backtracking through the tunnels a bit I was finally able to unlock a yellow door and view the underground house described in the text file. It was cramped, full of lost souls, chaingunners, and revenants, and sadly was the most interesting part of the first level. After the house, what little structure the level had before vanished completely. I found myself fighting an archvile in an oversized outdoor area with no cover, chainsawing shotgun guys in more dark hallways, and even got to kill a Wolfenstein SS. After dying roughly half a dozen times and running out of ammo, my patience ran out and I skipped to the next level.

The second level initially looked a little better, with a somewhat impressive outdoor area at the start. However, it soon reverted back to the first level's style of small cramped rooms, this time stuffed with even larger monsters with less ammo. The third is more of the same, except with a jail.

Overall, not all of the wad is terrible, but it has more than a few glaring flaws that make it frustrating and almost unplayable. Visually, it's full of errors and randomness. Gameplay-wise, it's cramped, low on ammo, and full of unfair traps. There's some annoying backtracking, secrets that are required to finish levels, etc. If you're really that curious then try it. If not, don't.

• Autosave - Stephen Clark (The Ultimate DooMer)
    N/A - ZDoom Compatible - Solo Play - 3474 bytes
    Reviewed by: SeanWJF
    A useful tool for challenging maps that saves your progress after a defined amount of time. Unfortunately, this is (G)Zdoom only and won't work with any other source port.

• TMP.WAD - unknown
    Ultimate Doom - Vanilla - Solo Play - 64019 bytes - (img) (img) (img) (img) (img)
    Reviewed by: The Green Herring
    This WAD was the winner of a level design contest for the original Doom that was run by the late PC Zone in 1994. The contest entries were included in the cover disc for its December 1994 issue, which included 23 finalists and 94 other WADs. The finalists were uploaded to idgames/ all the way back in 1995, and one of the other entries, WHIPLASH.WAD, was uploaded last December. Yet, strangely enough, the actual winner of the contest was never uploaded to the archive until April of this year.

From the start of this level till the end, it's obvious it's set in a demonic temple built out of a UAC base. The texture alignment and unpegging falters at times (witness a door those textures don't move while its door tracks do,) but in general, the textures make sense for each location where they're used. The enemies don't put up much of a fight in comparison to modern levels—even the cyberdemon, who can be defeated by pecking at him from a nearby window, using the walls for cover—but the level's fun to play through. The secrets are mostly rather obvious, but the design of the remaining ones is interesting; none of them are required to finish the level, and they can be found without cheating, even without the secret computer map that gives them all away—all of which is more than you can say about its contemporaries, which tended to go the "completely unmarked door" route for their secret areas while sometimes putting required keys in them. Lastly, further differentiating it from its brethren, it is obvious where you need to go next, every step of the way.

In general, this level may have a few blemishes here and there, but given its age and the reputation of "1994 levels," this is a good one. If you're looking for a fun layout that doesn't throw cheap surprises at you, you can't go wrong with this one. Experienced players should not have to spend more than 15 minutes on it the first time. Now if only we knew who the author was, they could be properly recognized here. Is there anyone with a copy of the December 1994 issue of PC Zone willing to upload some scans? Maybe we can find out from there.

• SWFORT.WAD - unknown
    Ultimate Doom - Vanilla - Solo Play - 61967 bytes - (img) (img)
    Reviewed by: Macro11_1
    After having played through SWFORT.WAD a few times on different difficulties, I would compare it to a box. One never knows what's inside a box until they ventures a peek. Having taken in my fill I would say that the spiraling game play was more about exploring said box than it was about any challenge, and it was this I enjoyed.

I found no glaring or obvious errors, and the textures represented the level pretty well; the actual geometry of the level was simple and the layout is open. The battles were simple and short and there was an overabundance of items, making the game less about survival and more about exploration. I personally just wish that the author had put more to explore or to look at or play, because it feels lacking in its aforementioned approach to game play.

• Starship.wad - Alex Mayberry
    Doom 2 - Vanilla - Solo Play - 60915 bytes - (img) (img) (img)
    Reviewed by: Snakes
    Starship.wad is another one of those 1995 maps just now getting uploaded to the archives, and as always, playing through the thing makes it quite obvious. Playing through thing brings "Good news, bad news," mind.

Good news: for its era, it looks pretty decent. Sure, there are some ugly moments, like the misalignments in the ill-advised maze section, and the use of REDDOOR textures at inappropriate shots, but as a whole, the architecture holds together nicely quite well.

Bad news: gameplay's a mixed bag. Its nonlinearity hurts the map's quality, oddly, as if you take the wrong teleport at the start, you could be staring down an arachnotron with a pistol. After the start, it gets a bit better, but the flow is completely off. After a fast-paced first half, the aforementioned maze comes and effectively ends the map's entertainment value.

All in all, it's a worthy map for its age and certainly worth peeking at. Just know that sections of it are poorly put together and finding the exit switch can be a real pain.

• Haretick - Ben-James Tippey
    Heretic - Vanilla - Solo Play - 41088 bytes - (img) (img) (img) (img) (img)
    Reviewed by: Joshy
    I don't play a lot of Heretic so I thought I'd take a stab at this for reviewing. According to the textfile, it seems as if though it was made perhaps in 1996 or earlier. I'm not sure when Heretic was released so never mind about that. The point is it looks pretty cheap and below average. Hardly any variation in texture usage with a simple layout design and it's pretty easy. Not sure what else needs to be said here.

• Heretic - Call of the Apostate - Stormwalker
    Heretic - ZDoom Compatible, Vavoom - Solo Play - 2185647 bytes - (img) (img) (img) (img) (img) (img) (img) (img) (img) (img) (img) (img)
    Reviewed by: yylow30
    This is an episode replacement for Heretic. It is, you could put it this way, 3 mini-episodes in a episode. Or rather, 3 mini-episodes formed into one masterpiece.

This wad starts off slow, with small maps, and gradually builds up difficulty, until to a point where it feels like a weird slaughter map at the end. I find it quite irritating when every inch I took was blocked by a monster that I could not see. Thank goodness the ending fight was pretty straightforward. The only main problem I encountered here was at M9, I could not figure out any way to continue after the green door. The very last boss caught me by surprise (blame me for not reading the text file beforehand) and yes, it can put up a good fight.

Ammo wasn't much of a problem here. In fact ammo should not be a problem in any Heretic map because the monsters themselves drop all kinds of them. The text file claimed that all maps can be played with Elvenwand start, and so I tried. Yes indeed, it is VERY possible. It is rare to see weapon placement that I actually find good.

Map design is also better than what I initially thought it would be. I mean, just look at the screenshots! Where can you find Heretic maps that would be so breathtaking? Okay, just before anyone starts asking, I was in degreelessness mode when I took the screenshots.

Overall, except for some parts of the gameplay, everything was good. Give it a shot. You will like it.

Does this /newstuff Chronicles suck? Does your wise ass think you can write better reviews than these jerkoffs? Then get over to the /newstuff Review Center and help out. I know you must have a Doomworld Forums account because you like griping about every edition in the comment thread, but if you don't, you need to get one to submit reviews.

I seem to like reviewing early nineties maps. Perhaps it's the nostalgia and the simplicity, or the authors are mostly not around anymore so I can say whatever the hell I want without having my arse burnt off from all the criticisms coming out of the mouths of raving offended authors...

High-five, Joshy. :)

I notice the reviews all seem relatively short this week. Lesson learned?

As I read st.alfonzo's review of Kashimir, I hear an hypnotic tune playing faintly in my head and, with sand in my eyes, I'm drawn to download it... trying to find where I been .

Megamur said:

High-five, Joshy. :)

*high-fives* :P

st.alfonzo is a connoisseur, although Chivas Regal and Old St Andrews are absolutely smashing scotch whiskeys as well. I like the reference to Scary Movie's "Just chilling, killing". Perfect response, especially when you're playing a good game of Doom or Counter-strike, to a fairly common question like "WHATSUP?"

The reviews were much better than last week, and I noticed that none of them had that word in it.

Processingcontrol said:

The reviews were much better than last week, and I noticed that none of them had that word in it.

"Schicklgruber"?

esselfortium said:

"Schicklgruber"?

No, no, he meant the-who-must-not-be-named's name.

esselfortium said:

"Schicklgruber"?

You know, that word.
It starts with F...

Joshy said:

No, no, he meant the-who-must-not-be-named's name.

Processingcontrol said:

You know, that word.
It starts with F...

But "Lord Voldemort" doesn't start with an F...

esselfortium said:

But "Lord Voldemort" doesn't start with an F...

Well, it could be pronounced with f, like 'foldemort' for instance but it wouldn't sound so threatening as an origami model.

Aahh... Thank you! Another competent, technically-detailed review for me. But you're right, the resources I used are too different from original DOOM - maybe I should stick to something more visually-compatible... (Duke-shotgun-anyone?)

I attempted to look up said "Last Warrior" mod that RSL claims to have gotten these weapon sprites from but found no hint of it anywhere, so I am at a loss as to where these sprites came from in the first place.

http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=24465&start=75#p488021

Are you sure you really tried to google this at least once? Heck, those who tried the mod (surprisingly enough, somebody even liked it!!) specifically asked for/suggested the inclusion of these truecolor sprites... Which are generally seen as good-quality...

Anyway, thanks for actually trying out the mod.

rsl said:

Aahh... Thank you! Another competent, technically-detailed review for me. But you're right, the resources I used are too different from original DOOM - maybe I should stick to something more visually-compatible... (Duke-shotgun-anyone?)

http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=24465&start=75#p488021

Are you sure you really tried to google this at least once? Heck, those who tried the mod (surprisingly enough, somebody even liked it!!) specifically asked for/suggested the inclusion of these truecolor sprites... Which are generally seen as good-quality...

Anyway, thanks for actually trying out the mod.

Yes, I really did try to Google this. As you mentioned in the thread, Inferno Interactive is certainly defunct, however nothing I found in my searches directed me to anything they produced, no matter how I phrased my search. Apologies for not locating anything related to the "Last Warrior" resources, but I did try looking :/

I'm not saying that most other sprites used in mods are Doom-looking or visually compatible, rather the ones you used just seem much more out of place. I would've been happy to put that aside if there were more originality to the weapons but every weapon I used in that mod was a rehash of something I've seen just about ten times over in various mods that have attempted to present their own representation. Your weapons just don't provide anything new, and even if the sprites came from a Shadow Warrior add-on they still look really really weird, even for Shadow Warrior if I do say so.

The sprites themselves are good quality sprites....but they just seem really awkward as a whole, and it's nearly impossible to overlook that, regardless of who made them or what they were made for originally.

Thanks for the review, yylow30.

As for your problem in E3M9, when you exit the green door, you will be back in the initial outdoor area. If you stand facing the tunnel you came out of at the start of the level, with the graveyard on your left and the small shed with the crossbow on your right, you will notice that the door beside the tunnel you initially came from (the one that was previously locked) is now open. Through that door is another tunnel, which continues the level.

Hope that helps.

every weapon I used in that mod was a rehash of something I've seen just about ten times over in various mods that have attempted to present their own representation. Your weapons just don't provide anything new, and even if the sprites came from a Shadow Warrior add-on they still look really really weird

Yes, I admit my intent was not to create something absolutely innovative or experimental. I rather wanted to exploit that sprite set (which I still consider remarkably beautiful for a fan-made addon, even though its resources may be seen as clashing with Shadow Warrior itself) for a specifically-themed modification, where I would have implemented old and already-seen ideas in a more-polished/consistent fashion, and where I would have introduced a couple of small little novelties anyway.

Personally, since I consider the DOOM in-game HUD spriteset to be some kind of "world apart", I don't see any problem with the graphics being different from the rest of the surrounding game world, as long as they keep consistency within the set, and pertain to a peculiar character class. Basing on your point of view, I'd assume that neither CS-style nor model-based mods would be acceptable, and we both know that a few very good examples of them have been produced in the past.

I would conclude by saying that, even if I agree on the weapons not being groundbreaking in terms of originality, I would have expected the package being evaluated more as a whole, or more precisely, as a "theme".

I thought MEINHAUS was pretty good. It was fun to explore and I had no problems with the ammo. But yeah, you probably need some kind of oldschool fetish to enjoy it.

Thanks for comments on Kashimir, everyone. I'll release much bigger map next month, it will be in style of "Death Tormention".

Vordakk said:

Thanks for the review, yylow30.

As for your problem in E3M9, when you exit the green door, you will be back in the initial outdoor area. If you stand facing the tunnel you came out of at the start of the level, with the graveyard on your left and the small shed with the crossbow on your right, you will notice that the door beside the tunnel you initially came from (the one that was previously locked) is now open. Through that door is another tunnel, which continues the level.

Hope that helps.

The problem I encountered is after first opening the green door, another side of that tunnel is another locked door which I couldnt find anyway to open. And the locked door beside the graveyard remains locked. Im not sure, but i also could not find what the switch do at the other side of the pillar where the first teleporter bring me to. Its located near the green key area.

[edit: i found out what the switch does now... =) and now i can complete the map. that was one sneaky switch action. I should not even be opening the door from that direction i said above. thank you!]

Nice set of reviews I thought! Looks like this is the week that Heretic fans would have been waiting for too, in terms of number of favourable reviews for Heretic .WADs.

Personally, TMP, Kashimir and Digon Base have caught my eye. Think I'll give them a go soon. I'd recommend everybody who hasn't definitely tries out Double Impact too - I remember really enjoying it, even with the really unlikely final level.

Phobus said:

I'd recommend everybody who hasn't definitely tries out Double Impact too - I remember really enjoying it, even with the really unlikely final level.

Yeah, Double Impact is fantastic, even that final level. It's a good exercise in problem-solving, and I don't mean that in the context of your average Doom map.

I remember MEINHAUS from way back when it was first released (early/mid 90's)! That was one of the first unofficial Doom wads I ever played. Even back then I thought it sucked pretty bad, but it was somewhat interesting to see unofficial Doom wads. It may have been what got me making my own maps to begin with...

rsl said:

I would conclude by saying that, even if I agree on the weapons not being groundbreaking in terms of originality, I would have expected the package being evaluated more as a whole, or more precisely, as a "theme".

That's where my final comment in the review comes into play. I feel it would've made the mod stand out if you had included at least one level that made use of the new features you included. I thought the wall jump feature was interesting, but there wasn't a single place in Doom 2 that I found a usesful spot for it. I even thought some of the new powerups were interesting, but gameplay wise this set needed a place they could be used effectively rather than just thrown into the Doom mix.
My point is that this could stand out as a decent mod if used in the right place, but just throwing it in Doom by itself doesn't make it stand out as anything special.

I've never seen Heretic's 'PAUSED' graphics until today.

Played KASHIMIR, TMP and Digon Base (also played Corebinder, as they're part of the same series) and I can safely say I've enjoyed all of them.

KASHIMIR is a great little map that's really begging to have more maps to go with it.

TMP is a fantastic bit of oldschool action that bought to mind YAKWORLD and some other old favourites of mine. The looks have aged fairly well for the most part too, I thought.

The Raw Action series provides some great gameplay. I'd say MAP01 of Digon Base wasn't as fun as the others, and Corebinder is definitely ugly (although not sickeningly so). The time was flying by as I played through the series though, I was enjoying them so much.

I'd recommend all 4 of the .WADs I mentioned here to your average doomer. I'm going to check out that Spire Complex that phobosdeimos1 did most recently, as his work has impressed me so far.

EDIT: Much to my surprise CoreBinder hasn't been reviewed, so I decided I'd make my reviewing debut and do that.

I haven't played it yet, but Double Impact looks very interesting. I like the idea of the E1 texture theme attached to rather non-E1 gameplay.

Phobus said:

Much to my surprise CoreBinder hasn't been reviewed, so I decided I'd make my reviewing debut and do that.

Yeah, I was going to write up a blurb for CoreBinder as well as Digon Base here, but I didn't have time to replay both properly, so only one got finished.

I can't say their style is really my cup off tea, but they do have some interesting gameplay and fun situations. A while back I went through Spire Complex, which I liked more than either of these two, so yeah, phobosdeimos1's maps are starting to win me over a bit more than they did at first.

Megamur said:

I haven't played it yet, but Double Impact looks very interesting. I like the idea of the E1 texture theme attached to rather non-E1 gameplay.

Actually, I think Double Impact is E1 gameplay taken to its logical extremes. Excepting the use of lost souls and cacos, of course, which never hurts the feel of the maps (IMO) unless the idea of seeing them there throws you into a conniption. The biggest difference is sheer monster count, excepting the bizarre e1m8.

But I assume the maps are much larger than typical E1 maps, which tend to be on the medium-sized, cramped, winding side.

Megamur said:

But I assume the maps are much larger than typical E1 maps, which tend to be on the medium-sized, cramped, winding side.

oh, much larger. it also plays rough on resources - health is fairly scarce and tons of hitscanners wear you down hit by hit until you sneak around corners with 15% health. sg ammo is always plentiful, but you have to save your chaingun stack for tougher spots and you'll be scouring every bullet clip dropped by zombies. aaand you'll probably feel that you wasted the few rockets and plasma cells you found on wrong fights. :) mapdesign is open and interconnected, so you'll often wonder if you should continue clearing your current area or press forward into (high rewarding? dangerous?) new areas.

all in all... it brings back the horror of being overwhelmed by hordes of weak monsters, a feeling you probably haven't felt in a looong time unless you play e1 or e2 on nightmare.